Evoque Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2012 Prestige model (automatic) and I have a problem with something in the vicinity of the front passenger wheel screeching or squealing when I turn the steering wheel to the left and it also makes the noise when driving straight but never when I turn the steering wheel to the right.

The noise stops when the brakes are applied.

This started happening just after the initial "lockdown" was lifted and my car had been sat stationary for 3-4 weeks and therefore we presumed it was something to do with the brakes, we have now changed all the brake pads and discs but the sound is still happening.

It doesn't make the sound from cold - it will usually start after you've been driving for 15-20 mins.

My Dad (who usually fixes any problems I have) has said it isn't the wheel bearings as it's not a rumbling sound!!

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Susie

·
Super Moderator
2,788 Posts
I had something similar to this when I picked up a piece of metal from the road and got jammed between the brake disc and the metal protective stone cover, if it stops when braking, and I assume speed may affect the noise then it has to be something in the rotating parts around the brakes, not doing it on right turning may just be the forces on the hubs flexing something, check there is nothing contacting the disc even the metal stone guard itself if bent.

·
Registered
Dynamic 3 door, 2013, SD4, santorini black with pimento and ebony
669 Posts
I have had this on a previous car and sometimes get it in the Evoque but only when doing tight turns in the Costa drive through. (It’s a warning I am drinking too much coffee).
It occurred before when the tyres got low and a bit older and harder, cured when I put new rubber on.
Easy check is to change the wheels around and see if it moves. That will confirm
or deny anything to do with a specific wheel.
If it’s not that I would check track control arms for wear and get a decent steering alignment check.
Some places do free realignments for a year or so which is handy if you think you may be replacing some suspension parts later.

·
Banned
187 Posts
sounds like dried out pads metalwork surfaces, RR anti squeel shims and brake parts are not the best (like a million other manufacturers), strip and copper grease the touching surfaces of the pad metalwork(not the pad face unless you like kissing bumpers in front of you)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought it had sorted itself out as the noise disappeared for a couple of weeks but now it has come back with vengeance!

The pads and discs have been changed on all 4 wheels. We also swapped around the front wheels as suggested by Binty in the comments above but the noise is still there.

I actually have a video recording of the noise but can't figure out whether I can post it on here for someone to listen too. Any help appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,829 Posts
@susieroo , I think you need to put a video on YouTube then post the link on here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks @XZ4 here is the video.

The squeaking noise stops right at the end of the video so hopefully you can here the difference it makes when the horrible noise stops compared to when it's really going for it!!

·
Super Moderator
13,829 Posts
Sounds like brakes or a squeeky pulley

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@XZ4 it has had new pads and discs on all wheels but the noise remained so presume it's not those. What do you mean about the pulley - what part is that?

·
Super Moderator
13,829 Posts
One of the pulley's driven by the belts under the bonnet. Sorry , no idea which one it could be. Alternator, water pump etc etc. Strange it only does it when going straight or left though. That's baffling.

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque Autobiography 2.0L DIESEL 5 DOOR / L538
426 Posts
If the noise stops when you come to a halt (with the engine running) in a left turn then it can't be a pulley. It must still be a brake problem.
Perhaps one of the calipers is slightly stuck i.e. it was moved with force to get a new brake pad in, but is not fully releasing when in normal use. The movement of the steering geometry can make the brake pads just touch when in a turn. I've had that on another car.

·
Banned
1,272 Posts
I agree with @rawpilot as a slightly stuck calliper can cause this. A good way of detecting a stuck calliper is a slight burning smell in and around the wheel as the pad heats up and burns itself slightly. So, any signs of a burning smell similar to a hot oil burning type of smell? Callipers can quite easily stick, especially if the car has stood for a while without much use. My Jag suffers from this at the front most months as it’s sat doing nowt and the smell from the front is horrible...I must sort it one day otherwise it will impact the disc and the pad over time.

·
Super Moderator
13,829 Posts
If one of the calipers is sticking that wheel should get hotter than the other one. Worth checking after a drive

Reactions: ukcommander

·
Banned
1,272 Posts
Good point @XZ4 ....plus it’s prudent to check it soon as the additional heat can cause the brake disc to warp.

·
Banned
187 Posts
as i said before, its just the pads. take them bask to whoever done the discs and pads, presume a bill too, they cant be responsible for age and milage on caliper surfaces or corrosion or you not bedding them in properly.

·
Registered
Dynamic 3 door, 2013, SD4, santorini black with pimento and ebony
669 Posts
Thanks for the video as everyone above says it sounds like brakes sticking and it disappears when braking which you would expect.
Cause as said above is likely a sticking calliper which will need freeing off and probably changing at some point in the future, but it could just be the the slider pins or pad guides. It depends if they were fully cleaned and lubricated when the pads were changed. Some spend the time and do a good job, some just ‘bang ‘em in’ in the shortest possible time. Getting someone you trust to clean the slider pins and guides and work the calliper piston back and forward a few times would be my first choice as it is cheap and often effective, I would not be spending on a new calliper until I had tried that first, but then I am from Yorkshire and we don’t like spending ‘owt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts