Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased an upgrade for my SAT NAV and the instructions are quite straight forward except i it tells me to run the engine whilst the SAT NAV updates, this will take 2.5 hours is this right?

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
11,942 Posts
Sounds right. It's been mentioned on here before.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
1,891 Posts
Many thanks, I just hope it will not do any damage to the engine.
Welcome to the forum.
I wouldn't let my engine idle for 2.5 hours!

You haven't said which model Evoque you have - worth updating your forum profile to help with answers.
If it's a 2L Ingenium diesel that wouldn't do the DPF any good!

I would look for previous threads on this for more info.
If this something that can update while you are on a long journey?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
As long as you start the update while the car is stationary, you can then go for a drive while the software updates. You will still be able to listen to music while it’s updating.
you just can’t start the update process while the car is moving.

On my RCZ the maps all update individually, and there are @ 15 of them, each taking 20-40 minutes depending on the size of the map.
I usually only update the U.K. I can’t afford the petrol to do the lot 😱😁

·
Registered
817 Posts
It depends which system you have.
If it's the standard ICT and done on an SD card, the update is done on your card in your PC and is ready to go straight away.
If you have the Pro and downloaded the update onto a memory stick then that takes 15-20 minutes so as has been said, go for a drive.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Dynamic Lux 2.2Sd4
2,563 Posts
If only we had motors which were not as power hungry, or a battery that would cope with this simple operation. :mad:

Reactions: XZ4

·
Registered
817 Posts
So you would be happy with the car sitting there with just the ignition on using the battery for 15-20 minutes whilst the update uploaded?
I can't think of any car I've owned that I'd do that to.

·
Registered
2015 Dynamic Lux 2.2Sd4
2,563 Posts
When I was in the motor trade many years ago I have had car radio's / tapes playing for hours with no engine running with no problem.
I think progress has gone backwords with the "modern" motors with all the "helpful" power hungry electronics which usually are a waste of time, not necessary a PITA & a constant source of silly problems. All of which seem to have the ability to bring the motor to a grinding halt, costing big bucks to put right. It makes me wonder if this is just a way of boosting revenue for the Manufacturers & Dealers. :mad:

·
Registered
817 Posts
I haven't had mine come grinding to a halt nor have I had any low battery problems despite only going for a short shopping run once a week..
I think that was then and this is now and all the additional electronics are the norm nowadays.
Whether you like it or not the demand from owners says we must have nav, carplay and all the other stuff that wasn't necessary or available in the past.
As an idea of how good they can be though, a member on the XE forums was caught abroad with the lockdown.
Car was in the long term car park at an airport for nearly 21 weeks.
He was worried about what he would find and was clued up about where the booster cables should go etc.
On his return it started first time on the button, nearly 21 weeks !
So in some cases all those protections can work when the car properly goes to sleep.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The reason in the RCZ for having to keep the engine running during updates is because it goes into eco mode & shuts everything down a few minutes after the engine shuts down. This of course results in an aborted update & you have a nice looking brick in the centre of your dash.
It seems that software developers have abandoned the car industry So instead of incremental updates, we still have to replace the entire map for every update, and background updates are not possible due to the way the hardware is configured.
Until this subject is taken more seriously by car manufacturers, it will always be something that appears not to be on the “important” list when it comes to car maintenance & we‘ll have to put up with these archaic practices for updating things.
Maybe JLR have taken the first tentative steps towards progress by initiating OTA updates for the infotainment system but they still cant manage that for map updates yet.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My BMW X3 gets OTA map updates but only local ones. The full Europe maps have to be downloaded and applied to the car with a USB due to the large amounts of info.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts