Evoque Owners Club banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

Registered
The keys can't be hacked like in the old days as they are unique to the car and the module in the car.
Replacement keys also need a new module in the car so it can be expensive.
The pouches just block the signal that the key sends to the car all the time to enable keyless entry.
The signal from the key only works at a short distance so the theft method is to hold a device near to the keys (by your front door normally) which then boosts this signal enabling the car to be opened and then started and driven as it's being fooled into thinking the key is within range.
No keyless entry then no pouches needed.
The devices they use are pretty short range too so I wouldn't worry about someone following you around Tescos waving a carrier bag by your ear.
:)
馃槃(y)

Registered
I had a obd lock fitted plus a steering lock. I keep both keys in a piece of tin foil when parked at home. Bzzzzzz

Super Moderator
The keys can't be hacked like in the old days as they are unique to the car and the module in the car.
Replacement keys also need a new module in the car so it can be expensive.
The pouches just block the signal that the key sends to the car all the time to enable keyless entry.
The signal from the key only works at a short distance so the theft method is to hold a device near to the keys (by your front door normally) which then boosts this signal enabling the car to be opened and then started and driven as it's being fooled into thinking the key is within range.
No keyless entry then no pouches needed.
The devices they use are pretty short range too so I wouldn't worry about someone following you around Tescos waving a carrier bag by your ear.
:)
Would have thought this already applied to the MY16 in question as I remember taking mine back to have the keys recoded and all spare slots removed, so they must still be able to work round this somehow. If it was the ferrying of the key signal from within the house method, then the faraday pouches would help, but indoors only, a metal sealed box to store keys would help if near the car and front door.

Registered

Registered
Anything from 2015 onwards, the OBD port doesn't matter.
In 2015 JLR adopted the current system of two keys and a dedicated module in the car.
The keys are coded to that module and that module only.
So that's why the relay theft method became more prevalent as you cannot code new keys without replacing the whole lot. Apparently JLR will fit the module free but will then hammer you on the cost of the new keys.
Signal booster to fool the car that the key is present, open the doors in the usual keyless way and the car can be started and driven off.
No OBD port connections needed.
Apparently last year, a RRS with a new system passed the keyless booster hack but the thieves will soon find a way round it and it's not clear which models the new system is in.
So faraday bags and/or metal tins are a good thing to use when the keys are at home.

Registered
As I understand it quite a few manufacturers, (Land Rover on the new Evoque at least) have coded their keys to go dormant and stop transmitting after a few seconds of being still. Therefore no signal to be captured and amplified. Having said that I still put mine in a tin box at night

Registered
As I understand it quite a few manufacturers, (Land Rover on the new Evoque at least) have coded their keys to go dormant and stop transmitting after a few seconds of being still. Therefore no signal to be captured and amplified. Having said that I still put mine in a tin box at night
good idea the tin, one can鈥檛 be too careful. I used a tin till I bought a couple of Faraday pouches.

Registered
I mentioned an idea I had a couple of years ago in that the car when moving should ping the key for that very faint signal the key emits, if the key is on the driver then no problem, but once driven away from the house and out of range after being stolen the car could ping for the signal, if not found then it could give a two minute warning and then shut down

Other than that the only real fool proof method is to get a trunk monkey

Registered
I mentioned an idea I had a couple of years ago in that the car when moving should ping the key for that very faint signal the key emits, if the key is on the driver then no problem, but once driven away from the house and out of range after being stolen the car could ping for the signal, if not found then it could give a two minute warning and then shut down

Other than that the only real fool proof method is to get a trunk monkey

馃 馃ぃ馃憤

Registered
Not sure shutting down the car if key is not found is such a good idea. e.g. I have an appointment, I have the key fob, wife in passenger seat does not. I get to my appointment, I get out with engine running, wife takes car to go shopping. She is obvious to the two minute warning and car shuts down in the middle of the freeway!! Granted ,with the way it is today, once she shut the car down, it wouldn't re-start, but she'd at least be safe in a parking lot:)

Registered
Not sure shutting down the car if key is not found is such a good idea. e.g. I have an appointment, I have the key fob, wife in passenger seat does not. I get to my appointment, I get out with engine running, wife takes car to go shopping. She is obvious to the two minute warning and car shuts down in the middle of the freeway!! Granted ,with the way it is today, once she shut the car down, it wouldn't re-start, but she'd at least be safe in a parking lot:)
I think there was a mention of a 2 minute warning coming up on the dash but I see what you鈥檙e saying

Registered
I say 2 minutes but it could be anything within reason, too much time gives the thieves time to drive it to a waiting trailer, flat bed truck or even a lock up, infact make it 30 secs so you can't reach that freeway, trouble is shutting down only 30 secs away could mean the thieves would come back and bash you over the head for the key, I think the further away from you the better, it could just put the car in limp mode and set the horn off and flash the hazzard lights to draw attention to itself

Registered
Hi all, newbie here, I use the Ghost2 immobiliser for security of my car,
Excellent bit of kit and stops those nasty folk from driving your motor away.

Registered
I say 2 minutes but it could be anything within reason, too much time gives the thieves time to drive it to a waiting trailer, flat bed truck or even a lock up, infact make it 30 secs so you can't reach that freeway, trouble is shutting down only 30 secs away could mean the thieves would come back and bash you over the head for the key, I think the further away from you the better, it could just put the car in limp mode and set the horn off and flash the hazzard lights to draw attention to itself
I remember a few years ago in Durban. A car came past me doing about 60 with the horn and hazards going off!

Registered
I left my car at my mates house for a week and he gave me a faraday pouch to leave my keys in saying they would be safe in there. I was in his kitchen and could lock and unlock the car by feeling the buttons through the pouch and pointing it at the window. Thought to myself well that doesn鈥檛 work too well.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts