Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately I have to report my 2016 Range Rover Evoque HSE DYN S14 with all available add ons was stolen yesterday from out side my property, having reported to the police and insurance company I now await the settlement section to contact me.
No alarm was heard? a small amount of glass was on the kerb. The remote software shows when the vehicle was taken and where it finished up, unfortunately when I checked the last location according to the software (which was only up the road) nothing was there.
I am in South East London, the police said there have been a spate of RR Evoque take aways in the area recently so I'm posting this for anyone in the area to be vigilant against theft, having set the alarm as usual I'm not sure what else l could have done, I'm not confident the vehicle will be recovered

RR Evoque HSE DYN S14. Metalic Aintree Green. Reg: N8 FMP

:(

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bugger...I had a car stolen 5 years ago so I know how you feel. I hope you get it back and they are caught.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
1,640 Posts
Sorry to hear that!
Keep checking the maps via InControl in case you get some new locations.
Can you post some photos so people can look out? I'm in you neck of the woods...

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Hi R,
Sorry to hear this, hope you get it back (unless of course it has been damaged) it is a massive pain in the arse when things like this happen & you then have to fight with insurance company to get you proper payout.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Sorry too hear this ... shocking.. hopefully the insurance won’t drag there heels ... do you have Gap insurance as well? I took this out on a site on the forum there’s different types but this gives you the difference between insurance valuation and price paid ..I’m only writing this so other members who will obviously be reading think about the option!
Again sorry too hear .. I think in a way if it happened to me I’d not want the car back would feel like it’s been violated!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Been a few Evoques plus other keyless entry cars stolen round my way recently. I've just bought a couple of those faraday pouches to put the keys in at night.

·
Super Moderator
2,418 Posts
Sorry news...

So assume this was likely an OBD port theft, just the glass broken carefully to avoid the alarm.

You can buy OBD port lock for ~£100 or how about putting a tie-wrap around the OBD port, wont stop the scum breaking your window, but will confuse them as they tend to connect up blind in the dark, and unlikely to have a pair of cutters with them. Dealer can easily cut it off if you forget to before a service.

Did consider wiring a dummy port directly to the Battery with +ve and -ve back to front to blow their device to pieces, but thought Dealer might get a bit upset if they ever connected their £1/4 mil diagnostic kit to it !!!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Awful to hear.
As has been said, keep checking the app to see if they park it up again.
Normal thing for them to do to see if it has a tracker fitted before they take it away for good.
Fingers crossed it gets found.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
11,137 Posts
Never good to hear about things being stolen. I'm with Donna on this though, if mine gets nicked I don't want it back. You've no idea how they've treated it.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Sorry to hear this, thieving scum bags. Hope you get it back but more than likely stripped down by now or exported

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
A very sad state of affairs-roaring market is parts all over the world
Yes if it has been nicked-I wouldn't want it back in any condition
Keep your chin up.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Sorry news...

So assume this was likely an OBD port theft, just the glass broken carefully to avoid the alarm.

You can buy OBD port lock for ~£100 or how about putting a tie-wrap around the OBD port, wont stop the scum breaking your window, but will confuse them as they tend to connect up blind in the dark, and unlikely to have a pair of cutters with them. Dealer can easily cut it off if you forget to before a service.

Did consider wiring a dummy port directly to the Battery with +ve and -ve back to front to blow their device to pieces, but thought Dealer might get a bit upset if they ever connected their £1/4 mil diagnostic kit to it !!!
Brilliant idea Phil, could be on to a winner there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have thought about a Faraday pouch to put keys in but thats fine at home but I'm thinking a would be hacker could drive up beside you and hack the keys or generally when out shopping and i wouldn want to fumble about putting the keys in one of these pouches everytime I leave the car parked somewhere.Does anyone use these things?
Richard.

·
Registered
624 Posts
The keys can't be hacked like in the old days as they are unique to the car and the module in the car.
Replacement keys also need a new module in the car so it can be expensive.
The pouches just block the signal that the key sends to the car all the time to enable keyless entry.
The signal from the key only works at a short distance so the theft method is to hold a device near to the keys (by your front door normally) which then boosts this signal enabling the car to be opened and then started and driven as it's being fooled into thinking the key is within range.
No keyless entry then no pouches needed.
The devices they use are pretty short range too so I wouldn't worry about someone following you around Tescos waving a carrier bag by your ear.
:)

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
I use a faraday pouch, obviously indoors overnight and it’s well away from the front of the house (the spare is also kept in one). When I go out and park I also put it in a pouch, a minute spent doing that is no hardship and much better than returning to find the car stolen and all the associated hassle. As Phil says it’s not as easy as it was in the the old days and if it’s too much of an inconvenience to protect your car, then turn it off - simples ?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I keep both of my keys in a faraday pouch & have not had to take it out of the pouch and as long as I am standing with my hand on door handle it will unlock & start. I have to be very close to vehicle, sometimes if the key (in pouch) is not close enough to steering wheel it will tell me key is not found.
This is the deal I had, very pleased with result.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Sorry to say this but it seems that faraday pouch is not working as it should. If I hold mine with the key in the pouch in the same hand as I try to open the door, it won’t, it’s blocking the signal which it’s supposed to do.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts