Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all, I am so pleased to join this club.
I have been reading through the threads and so far I am amazed of the amount of knowledge and expertise that members here have over most if not all JLR personnel.
I recently purchased a RRE MY 2020 1st edition.
The only annoying thing for me right now is that I can not make apple car play to appear on my extra features screen.
I have the touch pro duo of course and I have the in control remote and InControl protect working fine on my mobile app.
I have the 19b software updated .
I have the WIFI connection option on the connectivity menu .
The agent can’t find a way to activate the smart phone pack which is standard on the 1st edition model.
I have gone through a lot of research here and elsewhere with no good answer.
All agreed though that while using the pathfinder for updating the software , there should be a smart phone pack activation step at the end.
I communicated that with the technician at JLR and he said we was not given that option when he updated the software to 19b from the 18c that came on the car.
I also don’t have the SIM card slot in the cubby box .
Any help from the experts here is highly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum.

I am certainly no expert on the Evoque but I do have a MY20 myself. As far as CarPlay goes, all Idid to “activate” it, was use an apple cable to connect my iPhone in the usb slots under the centre armrest. CarPlay then came up on the tilting screen. Someone mentioned only one of the usb slots did it on their car, but I don’t think I’ve tried both, it just worked on the first slot (passenger side of the two) that I tried.
hope this helps 👍

btw. Let’s see a photo or two of your new ride.👀

Also, if you put your car details into your signature (go to your profile) it will help people give advice specific to your car.

·
Registered
MY20.5 Range Rover Evoque (L551) First Edition P250 in Nolita Grey on a 70 plate
590 Posts
No sim in the glovebox? Is yours a very recent build First Edition?

My new factory built car was completed on Friday, so when I get it, I’ll check this out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, welcome to the forum.

I am certainly no expert on the Evoque but I do have a MY20 myself. As far as CarPlay goes, all Idid to “activate” it, was use an apple cable to connect my iPhone in the usb slots under the centre armrest. CarPlay then came up on the tilting screen. Someone mentioned only one of the usb slots did it on their car, but I don’t think I’ve tried both, it just worked on the first slot (passenger side of the two) that I tried.
hope this helps 👍

btw. Let’s see a photo or two of your new ride.👀

Also, if you put your car details into your signature (go to your profile) it will help people give advice specific to your car.
Thank you for your reply , however this doesn’t work for me and from my research on different forums , you got to see the Apple car play button on the extra features screen if u have it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No sim in the glovebox? Is yours a very recent build First Edition?

My new factory built car was completed on Friday, so when I get it, I’ll check this out.
No sim in glove box .
Not is is not a recent build .
However it is 2020 1st edition, u can’t actually customize those apart from the color wheels and adaptive dynamics ..
Smartphone pack comes as standard on those according to JLR!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
This is a UK car ?
I see the flag under your avatar ?
SIM slot isn't in the glove box, it's in the cubby under the arm rests next to the USB slots.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is a UK car ?
I see the flag under your avatar ?
SIM slot isn't in the glove box, it's in the cubby under the arm rests next to the USB slots.
It was bought from Poland.
And yes I know where a SIM card should be, under the arm rest .. it is not there.
However the question remains , being a first edition , having InControl remote and protect with touch pro duo screen , the smartphone pack is standard . Just asking if how to activate it!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Sorry for trying to help.
If it is a Polish spec vehicle then it may be different from a UK spec.
Presumably you are not in the UK so contact the JLR dealers where you are based.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good morning everybody.

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to clarify things about First Edition and Carplay - Sim card. The first cars produced for the First Edition models did not have the sim module - wifi hotspot functionality. This was introduced later in the production line. Although JLR advertised the smartphone pack as standard, it is not fully functional. The reason is because the slots under the armrest are different and they do not have a SIM slot. This is mandatory for the apple carplay to work. It has nothing to do with software updates (I have done all of them). I believe that is has to do with the part umber which is installed there. I have order but yet to receive a replacement "Genuine Range Rover Audio Interface 2x USB 1x HDMI 1x 3G SIM port LR114028" which hopefully will provide Carplay functionality to the car.

I will let you know as soon as I install it.

·
Registered
Range Rover Evoque HSE Dynamic MY17 | Black | Black Pack | Smartphone Pack | SOTA | 4WD | Auto
275 Posts
This is correct. No SIM slot = no Apple CarPlay unfortunately

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is correct. No SIM slot = no Apple CarPlay unfortunately
Thank you Jack, but is just that I don’t understand how can a 1st edition been speced the same all over the world to be including clearly and specifically the phone connection package which includes apple car play , only to find that some 1st editions were built without a SIM card slot ,mandatory for such a function, like the one I own.. that is beyond me !

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Thank you Jack, but is just that I don’t understand how can a 1st edition been speced the same all over the world to be including clearly and specifically the phone connection package which includes apple car play , only to find that some 1st editions were built without a SIM card slot ,mandatory for such a function, like the one I own.. that is beyond me !
They aren't built/specced the same all over the world.
Yes there will be commonality in some areas but different country specs can delete things you would have thought would be there.

Reactions: JackJ

·
Registered
66 Plate - 2.0 TD4 SE Tech 5dr Auto
104 Posts
Good morning everybody.

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to clarify things about First Edition and Carplay - Sim card. The first cars produced for the First Edition models did not have the sim module - wifi hotspot functionality. This was introduced later in the production line. Although JLR advertised the smartphone pack as standard, it is not fully functional. The reason is because the slots under the armrest are different and they do not have a SIM slot. This is mandatory for the apple carplay to work. It has nothing to do with software updates (I have done all of them). I believe that is has to do with the part umber which is installed there. I have order but yet to receive a replacement "Genuine Range Rover Audio Interface 2x USB 1x HDMI 1x 3G SIM port LR114028" which hopefully will provide Carplay functionality to the car.

I will let you know as soon as I install it.
Any luck yet friend?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello again. After ordering a replacement part and arriving in perfect condition, I decided to have a go and try to replace the old one by myself. After easily removing the original FW93-19E110-CA part the first thing I noticed was that I am missing a mandatory cable which after a lot of internet research is called LVDS Cable. The new part (FW93-19E110-AB) has an additional connector which allows Carplay to work. It is a connector used by Android Screens (like I guess the one that the car has inside) and allows the Carplay to work properly.

What I really do not know is if there is an easy way to unplug the display from its position in order to see behind the screen if there is an available connector for such a cable or if the upgrade needs a replacement of the monitor, too.

If any of you has any idea if the monitor can be removed to see the connections from behind, it would prove extremely useful as it took me 4 hours of internet searching and reading to find what kind of cable is this and how it works.

And something else. Searching and reading and browsing through part catalogs, I found out that there is a variety of parts under the "FW93-19E110-XX" code some of them with the same SIM slot but a different part number. Haven't found out why and if this refers to different builds but if anyone of you knows the difference on similar parts will also be very helpful.

Will keep you posted on the updates.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hello again. After ordering a replacement part and arriving in perfect condition, I decided to have a go and try to replace the old one by myself. After easily removing the original FW93-19E110-CA part the first thing I noticed was that I am missing a mandatory cable which after a lot of internet research is called LVDS Cable. The new part (FW93-19E110-AB) has an additional connector which allows Carplay to work. It is a connector used by Android Screens (like I guess the one that the car has inside) and allows the Carplay to work properly.

What I really do not know is if there is an easy way to unplug the display from its position in order to see behind the screen if there is an available connector for such a cable or if the upgrade needs a replacement of the monitor, too.

If any of you has any idea if the monitor can be removed to see the connections from behind, it would prove extremely useful as it took me 4 hours of internet searching and reading to find what kind of cable is this and how it works.

And something else. Searching and reading and browsing through part catalogs, I found out that there is a variety of parts under the "FW93-19E110-XX" code some of them with the same SIM slot but a different part number. Haven't found out why and if this refers to different builds but if anyone of you knows the difference on similar parts will also be very helpful.

Will keep you posted on the updates.
Thanks very much for the update. I've woven some of your helpful detail into my current exchange with the dealer who has been asked to retrofit this part - a dialogue which seems to be going rapidly downhill as it's with the technician supposed to do the job tomorrow I think. Don't think he fancies it. 😕

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks very much for the update. I've woven some of your helpful detail into my current exchange with the dealer who has been asked to retrofit this part - a dialogue which seems to be going rapidly downhill as it's with the technician supposed to do the job tomorrow I think. Don't think he fancies it. 😕
Just got this email

Good afternoon,
I have confirmed with both the workshop and the parts department and unfortunately this is not possible. The main head unit (screen), GPS antenna and centre console interface are wired completely differently to incorporate SIM cards. Not to mention the software the car left the factory with is set up differently. Apologies for being the bearer of bad news.....

Looks like a missing LVDS Cable and the other bits, together with the need for a reboot, constitute everything being so 'completely different' as to render a retrofit impossible. :mad:

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
What’s your next move ?

·
Registered
104 Posts
What’s your next move ?
“In War: Resolution,
In Defeat: Defiance,
In Victory: Magnanimity
In Peace: Good Will.”
― Winston S. Churchill

especially for @Veteran

Reactions: Veteran

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Looks like defiance then...

Reactions: johnny crossan

·
Super Moderator
8,779 Posts
“In War: Resolution,
In Defeat: Defiance,
In Victory: Magnanimity
In Peace: Good Will.”
― Winston S. Churchill

especially for @Veteran
Defeat? Don’t understand that word. What does it mean?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts