Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<div style="line-height: 1.22em; ">Five out of Five from Auto Express:
<div style="line-height: 1.22em; ">

<div style="line-height: 1.22em; ">But while it's got showroom appeal, is it as capable on the high street as it is on a muddy track? Finally, we can answer that question ""“ because this time, the Evoque has nowhere to hide.
<div style="line-height: 1.22em; "><br style="line-height: 1.22em; ">
<div style="line-height: 1.22em; ">The car you see here is not a prototype, it's a showroom-ready Si4 powered by a 237bhp 2.0-litre turbo petrol, with a six-speed automatic gearbox and four-wheel drive. It's one of the flagship models, and carries a price tag to match: £38,995.
<div style="line-height: 1.22em; "><br style="line-height: 1.22em; ">
<div style="line-height: 1.22em; ">From the moment you lay eyes on it, you can tell Land Rover has got the proportions spot-on. This is a car that has been translated almost directly from the Detroit 2008 LRX concept to the road ""“ and even in five-door form, it looks chunky, purposeful and daring. Despite its high shoulder line and relatively small windows, the Evoque feels airy inside. Even without a panoramic glass roof there's plenty of light ""“ although it's an option you'll definitely want. Running the full length, it helps counter the thick C-pillars.

<div style="line-height: 1.22em; ">[FLASH WIDTH=406 HEIGHT=248]http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/vendor-swf/JW/5.4/player-5.4.swf[/FLASH]

<br style="line-height: 1.22em; "><br style="line-height: 1.22em; ">Read more:http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/270016/range_rover_evoque.html?CMP=NLC-Newsletters&uid=bfa7e6becb18d045d7680e1746f94a0b#ixzz1S407iDmy

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for posting.

Most commentators are emphatically supporting the car.

I am toying with the Buckingham Blue and this video may have convinced me.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Auto express reviews are generally absolute dross.I certainly wouldnt use them when deciding what car to drive.

·
Registered
118 Posts
So now we have 4 main reviews - Autocar, Car, Evo and Auto Express, apologies to any others I've missed. All overwhelmingly positive, the Autocar and Car are for the diesel, the other two for the petrol.

It's clear the 190 diesel is OK but will disappoint some coming to the car expecting good performance. The petrol improves things and Car hints at a 300bhp "hot" version next year. I'm afraid the smaller diesel may well be economical but is likely to be a bit of a slug.

They all complain about the cost of the car, basing their comparison on goodness knows what. No other car offers the same off road ability at the price leveland the Evoque is well equipped compared to others.

Still, it's all good news and it's clear that the driving experience is improved with the bigger engines and the adaptive damping but that was to be expected.

·
Registered
118 Posts
insnojackson said:
Auto express reviews are generally absolute dross.I certainly wouldnt use them when deciding what car to drive.

True,if these people were any good, they wouldn't be wasting their time writing for AE. I think 5 stars is overcooking it, as an enthusiatic driver, I'm most likely to trust the Evo review.

·
Registered
219 Posts
mark_n said:
insnojackson said:

True,if these people were any good, they wouldn't be wasting their time writing for AE. I think 5 stars is overcooking it, as an enthusiatic driver, I'm most likely to trust the Evo review.

auto express/ evo, the same dross.

Im suprised they didnt say that " a clio would have it in the twisties"

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well, insnojackson, since you seem to think the entire motoring press is pants, perhaps you'd give us the benefit of your opinion on the car (keep in mind this is an "owners club", so the presumption is you're buying one, as I am) or are you just a time-wasting troll?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Nope im not a troll and yes I have a car on order.

I read most of the motoring press via their websites on an almost daily basis. evo and autoexpress are in essence the same publication. Having read them for years the amount of factual errors they make are amazing, combine this for their penchant for stating the obvious and the general terrible renderings they use when previewing up and coming cars and i dont really have much respect for them.

I find car/autocar/winding road etc etc more relaible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts