Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the dealersupplied and fitted roof rails and roof bars put on my Evoque...
looks great.

Imagine my dismay when I tried to put my existing bike carriers on the roof bars only to find that the roof bars are way too broad to take my 4 bike carriers!

As far as I can see, I may have to fork out again for Thule versions or buy 4 new Landrover bike carriers?

Anyone help me?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Rob
I'll have to check cause it's a company car.

What they did say was they are allowed 0.9hrs to fit but it took over 2 hours to fit the rails.. and the bars were a 2 man job!

I'm really hoping the bar width isn't just a way of making you buy the LR bike carriers.. they're around £90 each and I already have 4...

I'll come back to you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi 'Big Grin'
Thanks for that!

The bars you have already are they Thule Bars? because you can adjust the ones I have, the rear wheel bar slides forwards and backwards to fit different car setups.

P.S. did I really see somewhere you have done 12K miles since November?!

·
Registered
79 Posts
OK - I now dont know the simple option will work - in fact I know it wont!

I've been looking at the fixing points on the roof for roof bars, one is
right at the front of the roof and the rear ones right at the back of
the Pan roof. Taking this into account I got my bike carrier out (a
Thule Proride 591) and it is not long enough to be able to attach to the
bars if they are fixed to the two mount points. :-(

I guess you could fit roof bars to the fixing points but not if you want
to put a bike rack on them, you will have to go for the side rails
option. With the side rails you can then adjust the positioning of the bars cant you.

I am due a call from the dealer tomorrow anyways so will quiz him then and report back.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Rob
the way my rails and bars are fixed would lead you to think that all is ok. I've fitted bikes to roofs on several previous cars.

It's not that the bars end up too far apart, it rather that the actual width of the bar is too broad for the fixing on my current bike carriers.

My bike carriers fit the normal square cross bars but the ones fitted to my evoque are way bigger than the square bars and I can get the clips to go around the bars.

The spacing between the bars is fine because, as you say you can slide the fixing points on the bike carriers up and down.

I'm going to ask the dealer if this is the only size of roof bar they do.

Warning to those that already have bike carriers ... check out the bars that will be fitted, fit your existing bikes carriers... I wish I had...

And yes .. just over 12k so far... and loving driving it .. even with the crunching and the ipod not playing and the rear parcel shelf breaking... it's all part of the fun!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm still waiting on a response from Thule but have been in touch with the dealer this morning the two prices i got from them on getting the rails fitted were:

£391 for parts supply only.

£631.20 for parts and fitting.

this is for the rails only so you'd then need the cross bars (Aero 869 £72.99)& footpack (775 £89.99).

So its an expensive exercise.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I occasionally (once or twice a year) carry a canoe on my car. I looked at the prices for Land Rover roof rails and cross bars and decided they were far too expensive, as I only intend to keep my Evoque about three years, it would very nearly be cheaper to buy a new canoe each time at my destination and throw it away before returning home!
I exchanged my canoe last year for a smaller one which I hope will go inside the car (it went inside my Freelander2), if not I shall look at the Thule bars that clip onto the roof/door openings.
Graham

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to go for the Thule bars, which is a cheaper option than buying 4 new Range rover bike carriers...
My fault, I should have asked more questions....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi All,

My D3 had the same (very wide) cross bars from Land Rover. I'm hoping the Evoque bars are the same as the D3. The D3 ones had a rubber insert along the middle of the cross bar. This could be removed to allow a standard thule bike rack to be fitted via a 'T' insert in place of the normal metal 'hoop'. If your cycle rack did not come with the T piece then you can buy the 'T' piecesseparately(I got mine from halfords for about a £15 a set I think). They where a real solid fit and much better than the standard metal 'hoop'.

I hope the above info helps

Mart

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is no need to fit the expensive roof kit on an Evoque, just to fit roof bars. LaPrealpina has a set that fits on Evoque roofs without the roof rails. They are set on soft rubber foots and with a classic clamp in the door sill. Prices start at ‚¬ 149.50 for a full steel set including postage. Aluminium variants are available at ‚¬ 169.50 and ‚¬ 189.50.

The roof bars are easy to fit and are compatible with most roof accessories such as bike carriers or canoe carriers. Also available from LaPrealpina, but existing ones will fit.

These prices are found at the Dutch agent of this Italian brand. Shipment to the UK is no problem at all and without extra charge.

The displayed web address forwards you directly to the dedicated roof bar page. Simply click on the Land Rover logo and the Evoque is displayed. Click on the photo and the available roof bars are displayed. http://www.laprealpina.nl. If you are not certain, please contact through e-mail at [email protected] or if you want to speak someone call at 0031-616-958-570. English spoken. The site in in Dutch, however an English option for this page is in the making.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh well... I've got the roof rails and they really look great on the care anyway.
Interesting to hear that there is T shaped fitment that meant my existing bike carriers could have fitted the wide bars from Landrover.

Hey ho, I've got the bars now and I'm more interested in getting out biking than whether I made the right purchase.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm the White evoque, black roof with, with bikes on top if you see me!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I contacted Thule and never got a response, whilst you can fit the bars to the evoque roof without rails I do not think their bike carriers are long enough to fit the bars you'd fit - not on a 5 door anyway.

·
Registered
219 Posts
LaPrealpina said:
There is no need to fit the expensive roof kit on an Evoque, just to fit roof bars. LaPrealpina has a set that fits on Evoque roofs without the roof rails. They are set on soft rubber foots and with a classic clamp in the door sill. Prices start at ‚¬ 149.50 for a full steel set including postage. Aluminium variants are available at ‚¬ 169.50 and ‚¬ 189.50.

The roof bars are easy to fit and are compatible with most roof accessories such as bike carriers or canoe carriers. Also available from LaPrealpina, but existing ones will fit.

These prices are found at the Dutch agent of this Italian brand. Shipment to the UK is no problem at all and without extra charge.

The displayed web address forwards you directly to the dedicated roof bar page. Simply click on the Land Rover logo and the Evoque is displayed. Click on the photo and the available roof bars are displayed. http://www.laprealpina.nl. If you are not certain, please contact through e-mail at [email protected] or if you want to speak someone call at 0031-616-958-570. English spoken. The site in in Dutch, however an English option for this page is in the making.
Hmm, I have prealpina bars for the mrs Juke, I wonder if they will fit the evoque?? time to fire off an email to them!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
glad to report my roof rails are on and look great, my new cross bars work and you can view the bike carrying abilities of the evoque most weekends in trail car parks in Wales and Scotland... the glass roof is an unexpected bonus cause you can see the bikes are ok from inside!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sounds great. I just mounted the hullaport pro canoeholders on my roof rack. N- joy the ride!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts