61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
1,967 Posts
What nonsense you speak CBW,
my standard 235/50/R20 wheel calculates a diameter of 29.3"
my space saver 155/90/R18 wheel calculates a diameter of 29.0"
Okay calm down this is supposed to be a friendly forum there is no need to be aggressive!

Clearly differences between 2013 and 2020 models. I was just giving the details of the OEM polystyrene and spare (155/85/18) fitted from new. The spare is just over 28”, the standard road wheel just over 29” and the cut out is 31”.
No nonsense here, that is just the way it is.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
If it is 3-00am and it is wizzing it down I don't really think anyone on here will be worrying about any aesthtics or making things fit-wazz it in the boot or back seat and get going!!!!

·
Registered
Evoque MY20 First Edition in Seoul Pearl Silver
1,737 Posts
Okay calm down this is supposed to be a friendly forum there is no need to be aggressive!

Clearly differences between 2013 and 2020 models. I was just giving the details of the OEM polystyrene and spare (155/85/18) fitted from new. The spare is just over 28”, the standard road wheel just over 29” and the cut out is 31”.
No nonsense here, that is just the way it is.

View attachment 5058
CBW, This is indeed a friendly site and my post wasn't aggressive, merely factual.
You pontificated in a high and mighty manner as though what you were saying was the gospel whereas it wasn't and I merely intended to point this fact out to you.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
0.66 of a inch ...... millimetres away from being inch perfect

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Hmm Not sure about this Thread-getting a bit aggressive now, we've already lost Vet and others, calm down people.

Reactions: CoolBlueWhyte

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
What nonsense you speak CBW,
my standard 235/50/R20 wheel calculates a diameter of 29.3"
my space saver 155/90/R18 wheel calculates a diameter of 29.0"
It perhaps the tone of you’re voice .... and anyway I do the nonsense talking on this forum CBW is a very knowledgeable and respected member who has helped me out on numerous occasions....
think we can just say there are two sizes......little and bigger in milliimperial

·
Registered
Evoque MY20 First Edition in Seoul Pearl Silver
1,737 Posts
Now what is that saying..... oh yes “Fail to prepare, Prepare to fail” 😀

You do realise the road wheels are an inch or two larger in diameter than the spare. The OEM polystyrene void for the wheel is two inches bigger than the spare to accommodate the standard road wheel.

Stick your tape measure in the boot and see where the approx. 29” Diameter x 10” wide road wheel is gonna fit, when it’s probably wet, dirty and big, very big, especially in an Evoque :unsure:

Now I really do not mind if you take heed of this observation, I just thought I’d make this last update for completeness, as many owners have and will continue to retro fit the very useful spare wheel, it may just help one of them to consider all the facts and sizes.
I have nothing more to say on the matter Donna.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
11,664 Posts

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Ten Bob

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Shillpence

·
Registered
MY2017 2.0 HSE Dynamic Lux
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
One sandwich short of a picnic 🤪

·
Registered
204 Posts
As pessimistic as that might sound, it is really true.
The standard road wheel won’t fit flat in the boot, so it has to fit in the wheel well with the floor panel folded back, or the boot won’t shut.
It‘s not very well thought out.
EvoMike makes a very good point that you need to be aware, in case the worst happens ☹
Thank you.

At least it has put the point forward about that problem so that others could be aware, After all it is supposed to be a Friendly Help Forum !.

This is a similar point I made to the CEO of Land Rover about a full size spare wheel will not fit properly in the boot (I wanted a full sized spare not a space saver).

I also made the point that if you are say going on holiday with a car full of people and all there luggage in the boot what do you do with your flat road wheel, Ask them on the back seat to have it on there knee !.

The CEO's office did say they would pass it on to the car designers.

So hopefully I have not wasted my time. :)

Reactions: CoolBlueWhyte

·
Registered
MY2017 2.0 HSE Dynamic Lux
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
The Evoque was not really designed as a total solution to every situation - if we are brutally honest it leans towards the trendy side of practicality and if you want a better all-rounder with room for a 'proper' spare wheel then the Discovery is a much better bet. The spare wheel was deleted in an effort to reduce weight, fuel consumption and of course the all-important emissions - in many ways a bureaucratic box ticking exercise to conform to an enforced, greener lifestyle. @EvoMike - On a side note, in my opinion you have 'wasted your time' by complaining to the CEO of Landrover because the Evoque's demographic doesn't 'need' a full sized spare wheel. ;)

Many people are ok with the 'compressor and goo' solution to a flat tyre - personally I prefer to fit a spacesaver because the 'goo' hasn't worked for me in the past. I can fully appreciate that many drivers (male & female) do not want to get their hands dirty and maybe the task of changing a wheel is out of their comfort zone. In fact many drivers will simply pick up their phone and get the AA to sort it out.(probably the easiest solution to the 'car full of luggage & people' scenario)

At the end of the day it is a compromise and if it works for YOU, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

·
Registered
990 Posts
My RCZ also has goo. I’ve had it 7 years and never had the urge to get a space saver wheel, so I won’t be going down that route for the Evoque either, but if it’s your thing, do it.

61 - 80 of 104 Posts