Evoque Owners Club banner

41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
MY2017 2.0 HSE Dynamic Lux
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
You are definitely not a 'glass half full' kinda guy are you? ;)

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
Thats just being picky (but relevent)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I purchased a spare wheel kit yesterday. Luckily only a 30 min drive away. The others were both 4+ hours. So thanks to this thread I too carved out the existing base, I used an insulation cutter on a multi tool and a handsaw:

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
Very, very tidy job there, well done.

Reactions: CheshireRob

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Looks superb Rob (y) I can definitely recommend CBW's tip about turning the wheel upside down - its amazing how much stuff can be stored in it.

Reactions: CheshireRob

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi all you used to be able to buy an extension kit for if your spare is under the floor, they came with a threaded section so you could drill a hole in the boot floor and site the valve end in a position to then get the tyre gauge on to check the pressure, I bought one years ago for one of my previous cars. May be worth trawling through ebay to see if they are still available.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Reactions: CoolBlueWhyte

·
Registered
169 Posts
Look on ebay no. 174291028515 @ £7.15

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looks superb Rob (y) I can definitely recommend CBW's tip about turning the wheel upside down - its amazing how much stuff can be stored in it.
Good call (y)

·
Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
1,967 Posts
Good job, but being you made it a snug fit what are you going to do with your flat road wheel once you put the spare on ?.

Car full of people, boot full of luggage !.

:unsure:
As pessimistic as that might sound, it is really true.
The standard road wheel won’t fit flat in the boot, so it has to fit in the wheel well with the floor panel folded back, or the boot won’t shut.
It‘s not very well thought out.
EvoMike makes a very good point that you need to be aware, in case the worst happens ☹

·
Registered
Evoque MY20 First Edition in Seoul Pearl Silver
1,738 Posts
Surely the worst case scenario of having to change a wheel while carrying 4 passengers and a boot full of luggage would result in 1 suitcase on a passengers knee, worse things happen at sea!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Surely the worst case scenario of having to change a wheel while carrying 4 passengers and a boot full of luggage would result in 1 suitcase on a passengers knee, worse things happen at sea!
What he said (y)

On the plus side, if I get a puncture when I am on my own at 3:00am on a rainy night, I know I can still get home easily
Every cloud ....... :giggle:

Reactions: Maffy and XZ4

·
Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
1,967 Posts
Now what is that saying..... oh yes “Fail to prepare, Prepare to fail” 😀

You do realise the road wheels are an inch or two larger in diameter than the spare. The OEM polystyrene void for the wheel is two inches bigger than the spare to accommodate the standard road wheel.

Stick your tape measure in the boot and see where the approx. 29” Diameter x 10” wide road wheel is gonna fit, when it’s probably wet, dirty and big, very big, especially in an Evoque :unsure:

Now I really do not mind if you take heed of this observation, I just thought I’d make this last update for completeness, as many owners have and will continue to retro fit the very useful spare wheel, it may just help one of them to consider all the facts and sizes.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I hear what you are getting at CBW but your sizing is a bit off - there is only 16mm difference in diameter in my case (and I have larger than stock tyres fitted) A standard tyre is practically identical and will slip in without any issues, albeit a lot wider so the cover cannot be fitted.

·
Registered
Evoque MY20 First Edition in Seoul Pearl Silver
1,738 Posts
What nonsense you speak CBW,
my standard 235/50/R20 wheel calculates a diameter of 29.3"
my space saver 155/90/R18 wheel calculates a diameter of 29.0"

·
Registered
82 Posts
No matter what car you own, if you opt to have a space saver wheel fitted there'll always be a compromise simply because the original will have a greater width (not talking diameter). I know which one I'd rather have between a pump with repair kit and spare wheel - sure most would.

41 - 60 of 104 Posts