Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
MY2017 2.0 HSE Dynamic Lux
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have never been a big fan of the design decision to omit the spare wheel in a lot of modern cars and the one and only time I was forced to try the 'compressor & goo' alternative I was left stranded on a cold & wet night. From that day I promised myself to always have a 'proper' spare in my cars. To this end I have managed to bag a cheap (but genuine) Evoque space saver wheel and will now obviously want to fit it in the boot area. A quick chat to Duckworths revealed that the fitting kit (basically 4 pieces of foam)
LRO25382
LRO25381
LRO32529 (2)

will cost £130 plus delivery! This seems excessive to me so I will probably have a go at modifying the existing foam using an angle grinder to sculpt a 'nest'. I am guessing that there will have to be a wheel bolt to secure it to the floor?
Has anyone done this already and have you got any pics or tips?

·
Registered
Evoque MY20 First Edition in Seoul Pearl Silver
1,738 Posts
There's lots of previous posts from folk that have either altered the existing foam or used expanding foam and polythene bags to make a foam insert, put "Foam" into search at top of page, as for centre bolt, plenty available on eBay etc for about £12.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
£17.83 for example

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Whilliam - I haven't had a proper look yet but I assume the floor fixing nut is already there?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ta muchly - I will order the bolt in readiness for the wheel's arrival.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brilliant! That gives me the extra bit of confidence before getting Mr Angry Grinder out of his box!

·
Registered
11,277 Posts
Good Luck Sir.

Reactions: RazMan

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I decided to make a start this afternoon so I marked out a circle of 730mm diameter (the spacesaver is about 720mm ) on the polystyrene using a length of wire and a sharpie - not very precise but at least it gave me a rough idea of the material that needed removing. I also made the decision to work on the cutting without removing the liner from the boot.

I started out with good intentions, thinking that I could just cut around the circle, remove the centre and that's it! However it transpires that the grade of polystyrene that JLR used for the boot liner is nearly bomb proof. I can only describe what followed as total chaos, bordering on criminal damage. I used my oscillating saw (great little tool) to get the outline quite neat but had to resort to all sorts of tools to slowly remove chunks of the stuff including hammers, chisels, padsaw - just about anything that looked useful. This was a great way to release your tension on a Friday afternoon!
An hour later I had a rough outline which I will clean up tomorrow and post up some more pictures. Right now there is a beer in the fridge with my name on it ;)

·
Registered
11,277 Posts
A Valiant effort thus far, keep going.-well thought out.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Definitely not going with expanding foam! I don't think that any kind of hot wire tool will be up to the job - way too small. Once the main outline is established I found that an angle grinder or rotary wire brush was quite effective at cleaning up the rough edges - it sort of cauterises it. I will check the sizing tomorrow using my 'wire & sharpie' method but this time I can use the wheel bolt as the centre, making it a bit more accurate.

Reactions: Maffy

·
Registered
11,277 Posts
Nibble, nibble away it will come right-great job.

·
Registered
11,277 Posts
Excellent DK

Reactions: DKZ5745

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Meanwhile, later that evening.....
LOL You are not far off DK :oops: It was Bedlam in the boot for a while!

What size wheel & tyre do you have RazMan?
I have got a 155/85/R18 coming next week, and although it will be slightly smaller than my fitted tyres, it is still a better 'get me home' solution than Satan's Snot.

Reactions: rawpilot and Maffy
1 - 20 of 104 Posts