Registered
MY20.5 R-Dynamic HSE
3,302 Posts
Welcome to the EOC

Reactions: RRDan

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve just bought the kit for power tailgate from Carroll chan, like a few on here, but I have no instructions for fitting, can anyone help me out?

·
Registered
MY20.5 R-Dynamic HSE
3,302 Posts
Someone from the helpdesk might be with you shortly

Have you posted in the newbies forum - it normally unlocks hidden features like the willingness to help, if you've jumped straight in with a problem on your first post - infact both your first 2 posts it can gum up the system and nothing happens

·
Registered
2016 HSE Dynamic Manual
43 Posts
I see this kit has a latch sensor, does this fit to the existing lock fittings?

·
Registered
MY14 - Evoque SD4 Dynamic Coupe - 2.2 AWD 9 sp Auto
12 Posts
Power Tailgate Part 1

Busy Week, so gonna prep so that i can jump in & out whenever i have 10 mins spare
Helped a friend with an older version of this a while a go. This one seems a far easier install.

Purchased through Carroll Chan

Components Received :

Connection Mock Up :

Tools/Items I Used :

Pencil
Electrical Tape
Knife
Nylon Draw Cord
Trim Removal Tools x 3
Cable Clips (w/sticky pads)
Silicone Spray

Ratchet
8mm Socket for Earth Strap
T40 Socket for Latch
Flat Head Screwdriver x2
Philips Screwdriver
T25 Bit for Boot Side Panel Trim
T30 Bit for Internal Pillar Trim

If you have Tie Down Loops on Boot floor You need the T30 bit
If you have the boot rails they are removed with either a large Philips screwdriver or a large Flat screwdriver

Prep:

Remove:
Tailgate Trim
Boot Floor
Latch Surround Trim
Internal LHD Rear Pillar Trim
Tie Downs or Rails
LHD Boot Side Panel (Not required but makes it easier & takes 2 mins to remove)
Trim above Boot opening (I didnt take this off, but makes life easier if you do)

·
Registered
12 Posts
As for feeding the cable through the grommet Tubing, Ive done it on another car and seen someone else do it.

Key thing is feed from car to tailgate not tailgate to car.

make sure grommet is fully removed from the two holding clips.
Carefully lay out your draw cord with the two cables. fold the connectors so as to position them so its never any thicker than the widest connector.
Wrap as tight as possible in electrical tape making the change in thickness as gradual as possible.

lightly spray the taped area with silicone spray, quick squirt of silicone spray in each end of tubing and just slowly pull it through.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Replace poles:

Use a small flatblade screwdriver to release the clip and they will pop off/on. Clips can be a pain if you pull them too far back.
Remove grommet next to top of pole and feed the cable through to the tailgate.

Do them one at a time as tailgate is heavier than you think. Once you've done the first one the new elkkectric pole will just about hold the weight of the tailgate, so second is easier.

Replace Latch Hook.
Place a piece of electrical tape lined up with the boot side of the original latch hook before removing.
Use T40 socket to remove hook bolts.
Line up new hook with your tape and bolt into place.
Run actuator cable to RHD side of boot and position actuator out of the way

Power:

Undo one of the earth strap bolts to the left of the hook latch with an 8mm socket.
attach earth lead and retighten bolt.

Remove 30A green fuse from fusebox, insert fuse into supplied holder and fit fuse holder into fusebox where you removed the 30A fuse from.

Test:
Lightly strap control box to tailgate and connect all cables to it (power last)

It should beep when you plug in the power lead.
Check it works.
make sure to check every way of open/closing it

R/C, new tailgate button, dash tailgate button, external tailgate button etc

Assuming it works, You just need to run cabling and make it tidy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cable run:

Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive exterior Mode of transport

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Window

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bicycle tire

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Automotive exterior

Reactions: XZ4 and MarkB

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'll add a couple of final pics etc later, For now my summary

Summary & Final Thoughts:

Buying Experience:

Purchased through a series of emails with Carroll Chan.
Very easy to deal with and always prompt to respond.
After confirming what I required and the pricing I was sent a PayPal invoice and that was that.
Pleasant, easy experience.

I don't have passive entry so didn't see the point in the gesture sensor, so just the basic tailgate to fit a 2014 Evoque.

Costs:

Tailgate kit $322
UPS Shipping $94
PayPal Supplement $20

Overall happy with the total cost but I feel the shipping was a little steep for the service used and I know I could have arranged a better service for less myself.

You also need to account for customs fees of £78. A little steep but expected.
People thinking about gifts etc... These items do not pass through UK customs anymore, The customs charge is issued to you from customs while the item is still in Hong Kong.

Took around 10 days and that included an issue with UPS

Quality of Packaging and Components:

Arrived in a nice sturdy yet compact box with good protection for components.

The instructions are absolute dogs**t. Being from china is no longer a valid excuse... not good enough.
Now for installation the poor instructions don't really matter as its so straight forward to install, however the learning, height setting etc and trouble shooting could cause serious headaches.

You receive a cheap 19mm hole saw in the package... No idea what its for

Assorted cable ties and sticky pads are what they are and are not important.

The poles look to be of a decent quality, similar to original lr ones. only let down is only the lower mounts swivel which is a shame and would allow for a cleaner install.

Actuator sturdy and seems well made, cable similar to the lr use

All but one cable of decent quality, as is boot switch and generic control box.

Female connector of t-cable is a let down, I could see people bending pins on this.

The hook latch is real low rent and cheap looking and indeed cheaply made. The hook is too thin and is cast, which should be a no-no on this component. It will do the job its designed for but I would worry about longevity.

Installation:

Ridiculously easy, anyone can tackle this without worrying.

Spend 10 mins planning what you are going to do and making sure you have everything required for the job, then prepare car properly and you will have no problems. There is no real reason for this to take more than two hours without breaks. Though if not confident... take your time, stop for a cuppa and be sure. It isn't a race
The only tricky bit is feeding the cables through the rubber. but if you know how to do it and get some silicone spray and lec tape it is easy as pie and takes literally 5 mins at most.

Make sure to take a minute and connect up for a test before you run the cables.

Operation:

Because I've been busy and dipping in and out for 10mins here and there, I have only tested the basic operation. I have not done the learning or height setting and any other settings it may or may not have.

Basic operation so far is pretty much flawless. Its quiet, smooth, moves at good speed and actually has a better range of options to control it than the factory option.

Whilst I don't rate the quality of the suction hook, nor do I believe it is the correct way a system of this type should work... It does work very well and the soft close is pretty good.

Operation Dislikes / concerns :

The bleeper when you close the tailgate is too loud. Its fine in the day but when I had to grab some things from the boot at midnight, I felt it too loud. Obviously depends where you live, but I have neighbours, its summer and their bedroom windows are open... Not ideal, I will look into muffling that.

Earlier I said I was disappointed with quality of the T-Cable for the tailgate latch. Turns out its poorly designed as well and could be a problem down the road.
These types of cable should just be a take off of the existing cabling and should not effect the original operation of said cable, this is not the case here. This cable reroutes the signal in and out of the control box.
If you disconnect it from the control unit, you cannot open the tailgate.
Now with the way the signal is routed if you were to lose power to the control box, the latch will still work... However if the control box failed there would be no way to open the tailgate without climbing through the car into the boot and trying to rip off the tailgate trim, remove the t-cable and reconnect the original wiring. that trim would be very difficult to remove from inside with the gate shut and you would probably have to break the trim.
As I said, Not a good design.

The last issue I have found so far is that if leave the tailgate open for about 15 minutes then the when car fully shuts down the actuator activates and pulls the hook in. Meaning none of the buttons do anything as the system thinks the boot is locked. You then have to unlock the car with the remote but then the system is confused and still wont close the tailgate.
If you are lucky you can close it manually and it will reset. If not so lucky it will go mad with bleeping and it becomes pure luck with pressing buttons and pushing it manually until it finally closes and resets.

This I also think is down to the design not being the best way to implement a powered gate (I'll come back to how it should be and my plan to implement it in a bit).

Now I know many would say, well why would you leave it open for that long, but i do it a lot.

Working on the car, loading for a trip, picnics, camping, off road meets, going to the tip, going to ikea to name just a few

Please don't let these small issues turn you off what is a decent bit of kit at a very affordable price, albeit with a few foibles. Overall I would still say its a very worthwhile investment.

Design & Plan:

As said before I personally think they have chosen the wrong way to implement a powered tailgate system.
I also feel the correct implementation would mean an even easier installation.

If you look at most higher end OEM tailgates (including range rover and indeed the Evoque) they do not have an actuator powered suction hook but rather the actuator powers the the tailgate latch.

As such my plan here is to purchase an original power tailgate latch from eBay.
Replace the latch, mount the after market actuator from this kit in the tailgate and connect the cable to the new latch.
Then refit the original hook to the boot floor.

This should make no difference to the system functionality as you are still using their actuator... Just to work with a different lock and as a bonus you would only have to run one cable for power into the car.

Easier install, better method, better components.

Jus my thoughts

Reactions: MarkB

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all fitted this power tailgate kit this morning everything fine until I try to open the boot and the latch won’t release it just keeps sucking it back closed any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2016 HSE Dynamic Manual
43 Posts
Hi all fitted this power tailgate kit this morning everything fine until I try to open the boot and the latch won’t release it just keeps sucking it back closed any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Have you done the 5 second hold set?
Get yourself ready to pull the power fuse out, someone on the outside press the open button and pull the fuse as soon as it releases.
once you have it open lift the tailgate all the way to open. Pop the power feed back in. Then press and hold the boot close button on the tailgate for 5 seconds to reset it all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi mark thanks for your reply the latch doesn’t actually release the boot it looks like it is going then just sucks the boot straight back in only way I can open it is to take new part off and go back to the old way cheers

·
Registered
2016 HSE Dynamic Manual
43 Posts
Hi mark thanks for your reply the latch doesn’t actually release the boot it looks like it is going then just sucks the boot straight back in only way I can open it is to take new part off and go back to the old way cheers
You need to get the original lock on the tailgate to release from the new soft close latch. Is the wiring to the original lock all connected ok via the white plugged T connection that came with the kit.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts