Evoque Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I had a Velar for a few days while waiting arrival of my car. I thought the handles looked ugly when the car was unlocked
Arh but they look beautiful when locked or on the move?

Reactions: Veteran

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Luckily it's not unlocked for long, another question - might seem obvious but they must retract at some point even when unlocked like when driving, must be when you start up they retract?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Not sure if this is a JLR PR video, or who made it. But, it seems the retractable door handles can cope with some amount if ice. But fail, with a "significant" amount.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Yoda

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Luckily it's not unlocked for long, another question - might seem obvious but they must retract at some point even when unlocked like when driving, must be when you start up they retract?
Doink, they close when the deadlocks operate got mine set at 12 mph. Some pratt said he didn't like them cos they made a noise when they retracted dah?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Doink, they {the door handles} close when the deadlocks operate got mine set at 12 mph. Some pratt said he didn't like them cos they made a noise when they retracted dah��
What happens if you set the car on 'not having the auto locking at 12 mph'.

I always set auto-locking to disabled in any car, due to one ...not living in a hijacking area, and two....I would hate to crash and not be able to get out of the car or somebody outside not get the doors open to free us :surprise:

(manufacturer's say doors will unlock in a crash situation, but would not like to bet my life on it)

Reactions: Whoever

·
Registered
9,889 Posts

I always set auto-locking to disabled in any car, due to one ...not living in a hijacking area, and two....I would hate to crash and not be able to get out of the car or somebody outside not get the doors open to free us :surprise:

(manufacturer's say doors will unlock in a crash situation, but would not like to bet my life on it)
Have you not heard of the Balloch bandits, the helensburgh hooligans, Tarbet terrors????

Reactions: colin4x4

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Tarbet terrors, the last time there was terrors in Tarbet, it was the Viking raiders :grin:

Reactions: ScarletFever

·
Super Moderator
8,753 Posts
Reactions: colin4x4

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
You can set your air con running now day so the cars the right temp why could you not have heated door handle you can activate 10 mins before you need to be in no brainier and a lot less strain on the drive motor pushing against frozen handles

·
Registered
2,299 Posts

Dunno it's never bothered me.

Reactions: Veteran

·
Registered
MY 18, 2..0 Diesel Ingenium Auto; Firenze Red
140 Posts
Spot on Tyberius. Should be a no-brainer to have heated door mechanisms to de-ice them.

Perhaps they're worried about the extra weight !! :0)

Regards
Richard

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi just a quick question from a newbie - I’m looking at converting our soft top door handles from standard to the pop out version / anyone with experience of this or thinks it’s a cool idea, I’d like to hear from - cheers

·
Super Moderator
2,606 Posts
Think you'd be changing at least the complete door...?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I think it’s a great idea, but I also think it would cost a small fortune 🤔

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,562 Posts
Think you'd be changing at least the complete door...?
...and I'm guessing the 2 door convertible Evoque doors are a different size to the later doors?!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I don’t think they did a convertible with retractable handles 🤔

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,562 Posts
That's why I think the doors will be a different size...

Reactions: DKZ5745

·
Super Moderator
2,606 Posts
Ha Ha, never saw it was convertible.... yeah that'll take some doing...

·
Registered
37 Posts
The door handle motors are designed to exert more torque if they feel resistance such as ice. To be honest it sounds awful when it opens from frozen but it does work

·
Registered
344 Posts
Can the Evoque be locked with the handles still out? I've seen several unattended with handles in ugly mode, is this advertising "I'm unlocked here!" ?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts