Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was reading one of those car magazines today on the new shaped Evoque (fueled and hybrid models).

I just noticed it will have retractable flush handles like the Velar. I wonder if this will be a problem in later life, regarding them having faults, due to this extra complexity.

Also in Winter will it frost over and jamb up?

How has the Velar being holding up to Winter in comparison, ie, ice and frost conditions on these flush handles?

·
Super Moderator
8,779 Posts
Was reading one of those car magazines today on the new shaped Evoque (fueled and hybrid models).

I just noticed it will have retractable flush handles like the Velar. I wonder if this will be a problem in later life, regarding them having faults, due to this extra complexity.

How has the Velar being holding up to Winter in comparison, ie, ice and frost conditions on these flush handles?
Now that is a very good point re ice & freezing on the retracting, flush fitting handles.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Let’s just say..........,there is currently an issue with these handles on the Velar - without the ice and cold weather, which is only going to add to the problem.
A nice idea if you can get it right.......but it seems another issue to be resolved long term.

·
Registered
543 Posts
J.L.R are forward thinking & with the Environment issues & global warming problems this probably wont be a problem even if it is im sure this will be just a " tip of the iceberg " regarding faults sorry for the pun LOL ...

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
No problems whatsoever so far; hope that's not tempted fate. Also been over the caravan last summer very dusty there and no problems as that's also been reported as a potential source of trouble.
Will advise further should the situation change.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,028 Posts
My Jaguar has them too. No problems with them either but my car is garaged overnight.

·
Registered
12,605 Posts
But then you could just climb over the doors in yours XZ4-so not a great problem for you.

Reactions: XZ4 and colin4x4

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Ford Capri MK2 decades ago had metal knife style handles, very flush that you lifted up, but they totally seized up in winter, and the only door that would open was the tailgate, and had to clamber in via the back and over the seats. Good job I was young at the time :grin:

Maybe this will happen with the new Evoque with you having to enter via the back :devil:

·
Registered
12,605 Posts
Now that Colin 4x4, is a stunning car-loved the capri.-nearly bought the Lazer model one once but my then wife (Religious Nutter) wouldn't let me as it had "666" in the number plate and these were before the days of cheap plates. so that was the end of that!!!!!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now that Colin 4x4, is a stunning car-loved the capri.-nearly bought the Lazer model one once but my then wife (Religious Nutter) wouldn't let me as it had "666" in the number plate and these were before the days of cheap plates. so that was the end of that!!!!!
Yeh, mine was British racing green, easy for DIY fixes, but like all Fords at the time it rusted terribly, and after four years had a hole in the wing the size of a paint tin lid, and actually used a Dulux paint tin lid behind wing and body filler and paint to sort it out before selling :grin:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Yeh, mine was British racing green, easy for DIY fixes, but like all Fords at the time it rusted terribly, and after four years had a hole in the wing the size of a paint tin lid, and actually used a Dulux paint tin lid behind wing and body filler and paint to sort it out before selling :grin:
All that’s left of that car now is probably the paint tin lid somewhere ?

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
My 1st XR2. Had number plate D666 SRR it was my little Red Devil it was a bugger to sell

·
Registered
12,605 Posts
LOL, Usually just leaving an XR2 anywhere meant it wasn't there when you got back to it! Ex Brother in law had two nicked in York!!!!

Reactions: colin4x4 and XZ4

·
Premium Member
10,622 Posts
Don't know about retractable door handles, how about owning BMW's with frameless doors, the window has to drop about a centimetre before you can open the door, brilliant when the damned thing is frozen.

I had a work around but still PITA. :mad:

Reactions: XZ4

·
Super Moderator
8,779 Posts
Had the same problem with my mid life crisis bright red 2 door hard tops convertible a few years ago E-K. No fun at 0330 on a winters morning!

·
Registered
920 Posts

Brother in Law had to defrost frozen Velar pop out handles in the icy weather in order to get in.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,028 Posts
Don't know about retractable door handles, how about owning BMW's with frameless doors, the window has to drop about a centimetre before you can open the door, brilliant when the damned thing is frozen.

I had a work around but still PITA. :mad:
#

My Z4 had the frameless windows as does the F Type. Luckily my cars are garaged overnight so no frost problems.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
We seem to be lucky here. No problems with wifes frameless doors on her Pug. Her new Merc (new to her) also has frameless doors so will have to see how we get on. No problems with the Velar door handles SO FAR. One thing I do like about the retracting door handles is that when you're not sure whether or not you have locked the car just a quick glance on the drive and you can tell straight away.

·
Super Moderator
8,779 Posts
I had a Velar for a few days while waiting arrival of my car. I thought the handles looked ugly when the car was unlocked

1 - 20 of 44 Posts