Evoque Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Has anyone experienced their Evoque entering Restricted Performance Mode (Limp mode) whilst travelling on a major road (50mph down to 20mph with no warning) or entering a major road and finding you have no acceleration?, it’s a worrying experience but apparently according to Landrover it’s been designed this way to protect the engine but a consequence of this approach is that it’s not protecting the driver and passengers very well.! The cure is a software patch upgrade ( P060A-49 P213E-00.) which would indicate to me there is a problem with the software as no mechanical or electrical faults were present. My vehicle is a 19 reg 2.0 Diesel, it may be worth contacting your dealer to see if your vehicle requires this important upgrade to the engine management software.

·
Registered
2015 Dynamic Lux 2.2Sd4
3,684 Posts
Hi Dave, I have had this & as you say it is not a good experience, I did after a while discover that if I uses the paddles I could change into a higher gear & eventually attain 50mph which helps. Of course this is only available with an auto box. Mine had a new turbo fitted although I am not entirely sure that this cured the problem.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,989 Posts
I don't know if a mod or @admin can merge this with previous thread so that it contains the update?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Dave, I have had this & as you say it is not a good experience, I did after a while discover that if I uses the paddles I could change into a higher gear & eventually attain 50mph which helps. Of course this is only available with an auto box. Mine had a new turbo fitted although I am not entirely sure that this cured the problem.
I was in touch with the LR Exec office over this, a bit of a longer read but below is a copy of the comms on this:

1. Me - The fault on the vehicle could have had catastrophic consequences if it had occurred whilst travelling on the motorway not only for myself but also other road users.

JLR Response - Firstly I would like to apologise for the experience as it is acknowledged that this can be a tense time when the vehicle enters restricted performance however the vehicle is designed to restrict its performance, this is to mitigate against further risk of damage to vehicle components.

My comment - Unfortunately, you do not address the concern I raised re the vehicle entering restricted performance whilst driving as described in my concern, either on a major road or motorway. The vehicle slows down as I experienced with no warning to either the driver or other road users who are in proximity to my vehicle. I appreciate the protection of the engine is important but not at the risk of injury or accident to the driver, passengers or other road users. Could you please review your comments and fully answer in the context of what I have commented on.

2. Me - The first Technician seems at best not to be competent to carry out the work required, at worst negligent.

JLR Response - In relation to the advice given concerning your vehicle the first Technician had carried out an update to the Electronic Control Unit (ECU), however had not identified the update to the software for the powertrain Control Module which the second Technician applied.

My comment - I was informed by the second technician that they had been notified the previous Thursday by LandRover that the patch was required to rectify a previous upgrade, if the s/w was fit for purpose and fully tested, there would be no need to apply a s/w patch. Prior to this, the vehicle was behaving normally, the vehicle then entered restricted mode, no mechanical repair was effected only a s/w patch therefore it is logical and reasonable to assume it was a failure in s/w. Please review your comments.

3. Me - It is concerning that the vehicle was driven for 10 days in normal road conditions and this fault then occurred (which affects the fuel ignition system I understand) in what I would describe as a random manner.

JLR Response - After speaking to my Technical Team, they confirmed the fault code in relation to the fuel Injection system fault had not been on your vehicle when this had been presented to the retailer for the timing chain. Please be advised that no incorrect software had been applied to your vehicle.

My comment - Please provide a full list of all the s/w and revisions/upgrades that have been applied to my vehicle since purchase with dates applied and purpose of the change.

4. Me - I was not made aware of this problem and I’m not aware of how you will manage this situation going forward with regards to notifying other owners who have had the vehicles s/w changed.

JLR Response - As confirmed above there is a software update available for the powertrain module but please be reassured this is not a change to incorrect software.

My comment - Please explain what the purpose of the upgrade was and explain why it cured the problem I was experiencing if the s/w was functioning correctly.

·
Registered
2021 P200 R-Design S Fuji
165 Posts
34° on driveway. Drove away, 800 yards to busy roundabout with opportunity to get on and take 1st exit; foot gently down = zilch: info screen went blank and it felt like max speed available was 5-10mph. Thankfully, as I had two kids in back of car, managed to pull over on to dropped kerb before next vehicle came off the roundabout. Amber warning light "Gearbox overheating"

I'm assuming this was limp mode and am putting it down to extreme weather. 🤞 but would welcome any other thoughts.

·
Registered
136 Posts
34° on driveway. Drove away, 800 yards to busy roundabout with opportunity to get on and take 1st exit; foot gently down = zilch: info screen went blank and it felt like max speed available was 5-10mph. Thankfully, as I had two kids in back of car, managed to pull over on to dropped kerb before next vehicle came off the roundabout. Amber warning light "Gearbox overheating"

I'm assuming this was limp mode and am putting it down to extreme weather. 🤞 but would welcome any other thoughts.
I had the a similar experience some 6 weeks ago with the message "gearbox overheating". The car had been driven for some 3 hours in generally heavy traffic and parked for about 1 hour while we had a coffee break. On resuming the journey, I had driven slowly to the car park exit when the accelerator pedal wouldn't respond and the amber warning came on. I pressed the ignition button, waited about 1 minute and everything was normal afterwards. In the 3 months I have had the car it has "stalled" 4 times but only once did the amber warning light come on. By coincidence I have today collected the car from the dealer where it has spent 3 days for various issues included the dreaded missing 4g problem. All appears fine at the moment. I was told the stalling and amber light warning was attributable to a voltage problem which has been the subject of a software update.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts