Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the battery in '12 Evoque and so far, no issues; a LR assist chap told me that simply; once new battery is in... just pull all the electric window levers up until they click - so they know where their limit is
- other than that, he said no problem.

But now I read that the car must be taken to a deaer for them to 'tell the car' that a new batttery has been put in!!!!!

What's the truth???

·
Premium Member
10,622 Posts
Not come across that one before.

I'm fairly sure a few members on here have had battery replacements, because of the Battery Drain issue which affected many cars.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
There was an issue with the battery management software on earlier cars, and a software update was issued - worth checking you have that sometime perhaps. That's the battery drain issue EK mentions above.

Also (only speculating) perhaps if you change the battery type, the system needs updating?

Where did you read about this?

Bottom line, if it seems to be working OK and no error messages coming up, I'd not regard it as that serious.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I recently acquired a Factory Service Manual for 2011-2014 Range Rover Evoques.

From the manual:

"8 BATTERY REPLACEMENT

If it is determined that a battery requires replacement, always refer to the appropriate section of the workshop manual forinstructions on removing and installing the battery from the vehicle.
On in service vehicles fitted with a Battery Monitoring System (BMS), the BMS module must be reset following theinstallation of a new battery. The BMS module reset procedure must be performed using an approved diagnostic system."
It appears from a drawing in the manual, that the BMS module is connected directly to the battery terminal. Unfortunately, I can't copy and paste the picture from the manual into a post. But from what the manual says, it might be worth checking with your dealer to see if your model and year, has a BMS module.

·
Registered
455 Posts
BMW have this BMS system. It's suppose to regulate the level of charge to reflect the age of the battery and thus extend its life. According to the Z4 forum, people have been quoted £450 to have a new battery fitted and programmed.

The cynic in me wonders if it's just another way of keeping you tied to the franchise as my Alfa has no such system and I have had the same battery on that car for eleven years.

Edited by: Ewok

·
Premium Member
10,622 Posts
Slightly off topic, my Z4 kept coming up with Battery Low warnings, I use a modern trickle charger to help it out.

Anyhow the other morning during the cold snap I decided to take it in to my nearest Halfords, prepared to pay c£200 for a new one. The lad connected it to his fancy machine and said "there's nothing wrong with it sir, it could do with a little charge that's all". It's coming up for 5 years old now.

So my guess is, it's the over sensitive software/protection systems on the car that keep alerting us and we do pay attention to them, for obvious reasons.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,371 Posts
My Z4 was the same as I only used it at weekends and sometimes it was a few weeks between use. I've had low battery warnings on most cars in recent years but as with the Z4 only because of infrequent use. I charge the Evoque battery now and again. I got the low battery warning yesterday but that was the first time it's been out the garage for about 11 days. At this time of year you use so many electrical things in the car it doesn't get back to full charge unless you do a long trip.

Sorry RDN , we've gone off topic here but as someone already said if there are no warnings I'd just leave it alone. As they say " If it ain't broke, don't fix it "
Edited by: XZ4

·
Registered
46 Posts
I also just replaced my ´12 battery and no problems by now. I also did the window-up thing. That´s it. My BMW X3 also had that "BMS" but don´t know if my 2012 has it too?!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I think it will have a BMS system - I posted this picture in the CTEK thread for a different reason but I think the BMS control module is the component on the right of the red CTEK connector I installed on the positive terminal of the battery. The system also records the age of the battery - which is where the reset by a LR technician comes in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
BMW have this BMS system. It's suppose to regulate the level of charge to reflect the age of the battery and thus extend its life. According to the Z4 forum, people have been quoted £450 to have a new battery fitted and programmed.

The cynic in me wonders if it's just another way of keeping you tied to the franchise as my Alfa has no such system and I have had the same battery on that car for eleven years.

Edited by: Ewok
I was quoted £600 by LR, to start with, could be more depending on what they found once it was hooked up to their diagnistics. I know whats wrong with it, its old and past it! (2012 and original battery) but they werent having any of it. Ill do it myself when i get the oppotunity.

·
Registered
RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Plus 2014
53 Posts
Changed.my battery a few weeks back and fitted a battery monitor. No issues whatsoever with BMS and Start Stop now working. Monitor reporting it is keeping voltage despite v minimal usage.

Have changed AGM batteries in BWMs Minis and Audi's. Never had any issues.
20 min job in the Evoque

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've read elsewhere that the BMS will self-adjust over a period of use - maybe a few days. I suspect there's no problem so long as you replace with the correct type of battery. EGR batteries require a different charging setup to "normal" batteries.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts