Evoque Owners Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Hi folks,
When I bought my Evoque a month ago I discovered the rear washer was not working. I read a few posts about possible issues at the washer bottle end so I am not revisiting those they are well covered. I could hear my pump working for the rear wash so decided to start at the rear and it worked. Took less than 30 minutes and no cost. I reckon it could be done in 10 mins now with what I know.
I removed the rear spoiler for better access on my coupe as I was exploring the fault but you can probably do it without and just remove the access hatch.

Symptoms -no water from the rear washer. When I pressed the button I could hear the pump working as it gives two short bursts about 2 seconds apart. Front washers and headlamp washers working fine, washer bottle full, occasionally I could see a few bubbles from the front washers after activating the rear.

Investigation - This is based on a 2013 Dynamic Coupe.
First I removed the rear spoiler, got to love Land Rover as this is super simple, 5 x 13mm nuts (red circled on the photo) and it just lifts off, the two outer top nuts have rubber covers that just pull off and I eased off the rubber boot near the drivers side hinge to give more flex and see what was inside, but probably not necessary. All fixings are outside the boot seal no water sealing to do. I protected the roof with an old sheet.

I then unclipped the centre access cover (green square on photo) it hooks in at the forward edge, the rearmost (accessible) edge is a clip fitting so carefully levered it down, the clips are about an inch from each corner. I used a wide blade trim tool to spread the pressure but a paint scraper would work just as well.
Finally I reached inside the access cover and popped the spray nozzle (green circle on photo) out by pressing it from the inside with my finger then pulling it off the rubber hose.
View attachment 5288

View attachment 5289

View attachment 5293

Activating the washer still showed no water. I noticed there was a small connection in the pipe in the access cover area which I presume is a non return valve. I pulled this off and activated the washer and on the third try water started to flow freely.
View attachment 5291
Then re-connected it and water flowed freely from the pipe where the nozzle was, finally I connected the nozzle and watched it spray like a good one and it is still working fine.
View attachment 5292
As they say assembly is the reverse procedure, do not over tighten the nuts, it's all plastic.

If I was doing it again I would go straight for the access hatch with the spoiler in place.

Diagnosis
I am taking a guess here but the car had been little used during COVID-19 and with a warm spring I guess the water in the tube had slowly evaporated. When the rear washer activates it does so in two short bursts. I am relying on schooldays physics here but guess that the air in the very long pipe compresses, held back by the non-return valve, then expands forcing the water back hence the bubbles on the front washers. As there is no way of activating the pump continually it just kept happening. Removing the valve allowed the water to build up each press until it flowed, and as liquids do not compress, it should all be good now the pipe is full.
Well that's my theory so far....

·
Registered
12,605 Posts
Do you want to remove it for maintenance or aesthetics?

·
Registered
12,605 Posts
Anyone confused? I am-nice work Donna on a saturday morning, everyone now scratching their heads LOL.

Reactions: Veteran

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There was a post on here two weeks ago where someone put a series of photos on . About how to remove in order to fix rear windscreen wiper sure it’s on that thread
Thanks Donna, just can’t work out how to disconnect the electrics to completely remove it. Guess I’ll be doing it on the car.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
14,057 Posts
Ignore the first one on heat shield maybe XZ4 will delete that for me pressed wrong thread ...Binty put the last one up and if you press photos shows fittings etc
Deleted (y)

·
Super Moderator
14,057 Posts
Thanks Donna, just can’t work out how to disconnect the electrics to completely remove it. Guess I’ll be doing it on the car.
Probably very similar to the big model

·
Registered
12,605 Posts
Neat look that is-nice job.

·
Super Moderator
14,057 Posts
Maybe a pig to do but looks like you've made a great job of it .

·
Registered
12,605 Posts
Skilful and looks great

1 - 18 of 18 Posts