Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, have reluctantly joined the 'foggy cam owners club';).After all the discussions on the forums, do we finally know why the rear camera is misting up.Is it the seal on the cam itself or as some have said,the inside of the housing getting moisture in.Lastly has anyone done a diy fix for this issue like perhaps filling the void with moisture retardant foam as I doubt if LR will do a 'fix' on mine at it is 2012 vintage.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Today, have reluctantly joined the 'foggy cam owners club';).After all the discussions on the forums, do we finally know why the rear camera is misting up.Is it the seal on the cam itself or as some have said,the inside of the housing getting moisture in.Lastly has anyone done a diy fix for this issue like perhaps filling the void with moisture retardant foam as I doubt if LR will do a 'fix' on mine at it is 2012 vintage.
Hi Marcusdil
I too have been in the foggy camera club recently and had both front and rears replaced under warranty. The rear camera lasted all of a few weeks before going foggy again. The dealer contacted JLR technical who advised to replace the rear camera again along with the trim and camera housing as one part. I had this replaced about a couple of weeks ago now and its been OK however i will say that its my belief that the camera mists up due to atmospherics and not water ingress so much unless the seal is perished. The previous camera fogged up when it was really cold and cleared after the cold snap. I treated it to some water courtesy of my steam cleaner and it was unaffected. I bet it will be OK in the warmer weather and defective in the colder weather.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for info Viper.I have just replaced the rear camera myself and I have noticed the view gets distorted when the day is damp or raining.So as you say it can not be ingress into the cam itself as presumably with it being brand new it is perfectlty sealed,The fogging is on the outside of the cam and a wipe with the finger clears it,so I think it will be a case of remembering to wipe it before a journey.Probably a bad design as to its positioning,My BM never fogged up in the 4 years I had it.

Richard.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for info Viper.I have just replaced the rear camera myself and I have noticed the view gets distorted when the day is damp or raining.So as you say it can not be ingress into the cam itself as presumably with it being brand new it is perfectlty sealed,The fogging is on the outside of the cam and a wipe with the finger clears it,so I think it will be a case of remembering to wipe it before a journey.Probably a bad design as to its positioning,My BM never fogged up in the 4 years I had it.

Richard.
Hi Richard
Yes i work at an Audi dealership and they dont have any issues with fogging ... well none that i have ever seen anyway. Good old JLR .. its a very common problem and they just keep using the same cameras instead of redesigning a new one to eliminate the problem. There are probably a "zillion" original cameras still to be used up before they even think about modifying the current one if at all. We see it all the time in Audi as well replacing defective parts with the same part number only for it to fail again somewhere down the line. Not good for a supposedly quality brand is it.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Within a few months of us getting ours I noticed the rear cam steamed up, asked the question on the forum to find it was a known fault and LR were changing them under warranty, I also found out about the misaligned tailgate issue so booked it in for both to be fixed, this is how it went in.....

3 days later after having a new improved camera fitted it came back like this......

I didn't notice till popping to a shop on way home, putting it in reverse and seeing a thumb print on the lens, needless to say it went straight back

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
My rear cam sometimes looks to be foggy but when wiped off it is all good again, it seems that the position of this camera seems to collect a lot of dirt & dust or a general coating of road grime quite quickly & needs a wipe over most days to stay clean/clear.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
My rear cam sometimes looks to be foggy but when wiped off it is all good again, it seems that the position of this camera seems to collect a lot of dirt & dust or a general coating of road grime quite quickly & needs a wipe over most days to stay clean/clear.
You'd think that but the front camera is always clean.....

Front and rear view together

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
You'd think that but the front camera is always clean.....

View attachment 3760

Front and rear view together
Hi Doink, I know what you are saying, perhaps at the rear end there is more shelter/ less air blast to wash the lens clean. Mine seem to stay clearer on the front as well. Just a thought.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, today its raining and the cam (fitted yesterday) has rain spots on it and screen view is cloudy.Now I'm thinking there are 2 seperate issues here.Firstly owners are reporting that the cloudyness is caused by condensation actually getting in the cam and on the inside of the lense,in which case no amount of wiping it with a finger is going to remove it.Secondly people are reporting the same issue but once cam is wiped its all ok meaning that it is water/dirt landing on the lense when it is raining This latter issue can not be resolved as it is a design problem such as the cam is located where it is vulnerable to what the weather throws at it.Wondering now whether my original cam was in fact fine and I was presuming it was ingress of condensation on its inside.....
Aaagh all good fun!

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok I also have a bad rear camera... I can agree with both options... however, the camera, especially in the dark is rubbish! I have fitted a cheap £10 camera to my sons car and it is 100 times better, image quality, clarity, especially in the dark. is it worth trying a replacement? I have also noticed that my rear right tail light lens has water inside.. could they be related?

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts