Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone - I've got a 2018 Evoque SD4 on a PCP with a LR dealer in Chesterfield.
I've had the car one year into a 4 year contract and it's just had it's first service done within that period.
The car is less than 2 years old and has 13,500 miles on the clock
The dealer has sent me a video showing a health check and rather worryingly, the rear pads and discs are shot - down to 10% viability
The front set are fine at 90%
They have now quoted me just under £600 to replace the rear sets
Questions -
1. Has anyone else had this issue around the same mileage on a SD4 and if so, how did you proceed ?
2. Can anyone explain the imbalance in wear and tear (as the dealer is calling it) between the front and back sets ?
The dealer won't discuss warranty as they call it wear and tear but their business manager has apparently emailed LR direct to discuss the matter, presumably because of the mileage and age of the car. I'm currently awaiting their update this morning
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
MY 18, 2..0 Diesel Ingenium Auto; Firenze Red
136 Posts
Not seen this but I would certainly challenge the wear and tear argument. Brake balance is non-adjustable by the driver - only thing I can think of is whether the electric parking brake is slightly sticking on. If so, doesn't that work only on the rear wheels ?

Good luck with it., and let us know how you get on.

Regards,
Richard

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I can't help other than by sharing the following link. £600 seems a bit much

Thanks for your reply - Unfortunately that's for vehicles 3 years or older, which I don't understand either lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a bit more info if anyone is a mechanic etc - it's only the inner of the rear discs that are shot and obviously the inner pads. The outer part of the discs is slightly corroded but that' to be expected. Can anyone explain how the inner discs and pads are so badly damaged ??

·
Registered
33 Posts
If they think this is normal then ask for evidence that they have had many similar instances of this premature wear. I’m certain that they haven’t and you should have a case for Land Rover footing the bill as it is clearly unreasonable to have them fail in such a short time

·
Registered
701 Posts
Not uncommon on a few JLR vehicles.
As has been said, raise a complaint with Customer relations as on other forums others have had the rear discs and pads replaced free of charge especially with your low mileage.
Quite a few thoughts on why this can happen.
JLR discs are pretty poor material-wise and if left on a forcourt for some time they can corrode and cause excessive wear.
Other issues have been the guide pins sticking causing excessive wear.
On the XE people have gone to independents and had the rear discs (Brembo alternative) and JLR pads replaced for about £250 which could be your fall back option.
Just one of many threads over there:
Rear brake discs - how long roughly - Jaguar XE Forums

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A
Not uncommon on a few JLR vehicles.
As has been said, raise a complaint with Customer relations as on other forums others have had the rear discs and pads replaced free of charge especially with your low mileage.
Quite a few thoughts on why this can happen.
JLR discs are pretty poor material-wise and if left on a forcourt for some time they can corrode and cause excessive wear.
Other issues have been the guide pins sticking causing excessive wear.
On the XE people have gone to independents and had the rear discs (Brembo alternative) and JLR pads replaced for about £250 which could be your fall back option.
Just one of many threads over there:
Rear brake discs - how long roughly - Jaguar XE Forums
Any chance you could provide links to these other forums so I could use as evidence if LR won't replace mine please ?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I reckon pretty much every vehicle that goes in for a service they highlight brake/disc issues in the hope of making a few easy quid. They charge ridiculous prices, get an indie to check them and get a quote from them.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Any chance you could provide links to these other forums so I could use as evidence if LR won't replace mine please ?
I did.
In red at the bottom of my post.
Once you are on the XE forum put "brake disc corrosion" in the search box top left of the page and plenty more will come up.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just a bit more info if anyone is a mechanic etc - it's only the inner of the rear discs that are shot and obviously the inner pads. The outer part of the discs is slightly corroded but that' to be expected. Can anyone explain how the inner discs and pads are so badly damaged ??
The fact only the inner pads are worn is proof in itself that something is wrong (almost certainly seized slider pins). IMO this is a warranty issue and should be corrected FOC, contact JLR customer service, this is NOT regular wear & tear. This is one of the problems with extended service intervals, brakes need maintenance - not just engine.
Also a safety issue, your rear brakes have been operating at reduced efficiency causing brake imbalance - could be critical in an emergency.

Reactions: Redlooney

·
Registered
33 Posts
The fact only the inner pads are worn is proof in itself that something is wrong (almost certainly seized slider pins). IMO this is a warranty issue and should be corrected FOC, contact JLR customer service, this is NOT regular wear & tear. This is one of the problems with extended service intervals, brakes need maintenance - not just engine.
Also a safety issue, your rear brakes have been operating at reduced efficiency causing brake imbalance - could be critical in an emergency.
I had a stuck slider pin issue on an Audi some years ago. Fixed under warranty with no quibbling. This is clearly a warranty issue and should be fixed foc. Ask to see the dealer principal and ask them eye to eye if they would find this acceptable on their car. Get the word “disappointed” in the conversation, they don’t like it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update - Just had a phone conversation with the head technician at the dealership - he refuses to acknowledge that there is a fault with the rear brakes stating " it's not the first time there's been a difference in wear between brake pads on the same disc on a Range Rover vehicle " !! The outer brake pads are currently at 7mm and the inner pads 3mm. He has now decided, having had the Evoque for over 24 hours and realising the difference in the wear, to have the brakes stripped down to see if the caliper is at fault or the EPB. Have now used Resolver to make a complaint to JLR direct.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Further update from dealership - they've stripped the rear brakes and found that the whole inner face of the disc is badly corroded "like sandpaper" which has caused the extreme wear on the inner pad. Apparently they've checked the caliper and EPB and neither are at fault. JLR have now asked for photographs of the disc and I await their desicion re whether they will authorise replacement at thier cost

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
1,757 Posts
Sounds like you are getting somewhere (y)
Excessive/early rear disc corrosion on some post MY16 vehicles is quite well know.

See this long thread on the Disco Sport forum: Login - Discovery Sport Forums

EDIT - I see that section needs a sign up. Worth doing as there's lots of info and photos.
The thread shows JLR are starting to play tougher though on 'goodwill' replacement...

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
11,646 Posts

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
1,757 Posts
Good one (y)

I think JLR have to charge so much for brake replacement as half the jobs they have to do for free! :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts