Evoque Owners Club banner
161 - 177 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I have tried it half a dozen times, & can’t say There’s been any noticeable difference 🤔 maybe it’s just my car & as it’s my first ever auto, I might be expecting too much.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,926 Posts
Thanks for helping, but what makes this keep happening? What's the permanent fix?
The gearbox learns you driving style and alters accordingly. The reset puts it back to factory settings effectively clearing out your driving history.

·
Registered
MY20.5 Range Rover Evoque (L551) First Edition P250 in Nolita Grey on a 70 plate
823 Posts
I really cannot understand what has changed, but I’m getting a bit fed up with the gear changes on my Evoque. In recent months they’ve become jerky and gear changes are anything but smooth. Gears are being changed up and down at what appears very random points. Despite trying the reset detailed here, it doesn’t seem to make any difference on my car.

Trying to drive by being lighter with the accelerator pedal doesn’t seem to work, and sport mode isn’t hugely better either. Pulling out at junctions is more jerky than it used to be.

As my P250 only gets serviced every two years, it’s never seen the garage of late (or had any warranty work), so I think I’ll get it booked in to see if they can reset any adaptive part of the gear changes or investigate. They can sort out the blooming rattling/resonating interior passenger A pillar whilst they’re at it, as that’s been driving me barmy for the last six months!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I really cannot understand what has changed, but I’m getting a bit fed up with the gear changes on my Evoque. In recent months they’ve become jerky and gear changes are anything but smooth. Gears are being changed up and down at what appears very random points. Despite trying the reset detailed here, it doesn’t seem to make any difference on my car.

Trying to drive by being lighter with the accelerator pedal doesn’t seem to work, and sport mode isn’t hugely better either. Pulling out at junctions is more jerky than it used to be.

As my P250 only gets serviced every two years, it’s never seen the garage of late (or had any warranty work), so I think I’ll get it booked in to see if they can reset any adaptive part of the gear changes or investigate. They can sort out the blooming rattling/resonating interior passenger A pillar whilst they’re at it, as that’s been driving me barmy for the last six months!
I think sports mode holds on to gears longer and changes at higher revs. Have also noted that using resume on cruise control makes the box downshift to get to cruising speed faster. Both of these could contribute to the gearbox learning to downshift unnecessarily as they could be different to the normal driving style. I'm no mechanic it's just an observation someone may be able to confirm or comment on.

·
Registered
MY20.5 Range Rover Evoque (L551) First Edition P250 in Nolita Grey on a 70 plate
823 Posts
Blimey first available diagnosis appointment at my local LR dealer is in three weeks. No loan cars either - they're waiting for the factory to build them!

Booked in, but makes it very difficult to juggle work and a dealer trip.

Suggestion that there may be a software update for the gearbox.

·
Registered
2017 SE Tech Auto
54 Posts
Apparently it is a generic fix to re set gearboxes with memory.

My son uses it on his BMW M135 and I have used it on mine a few times as I did this afternoon-truly does work, also noticed that there is no longer any "clunking" between 1st & 2nd which does appear after time.

MODS, once Spidey or a few of you have tried it maybe should be under it's own heading to assist others!
(See, all heart me)

anyone who tries this, it would be interesting to hear back re results.

Did mine last weekend after having my Evoque 2.5 years and boy did I notice a difference 😳 smoother on lower gears between changes and quicker thru the higher gears thanks alot 👍 its totally changed the car 👌👍👌

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I think they may have changed the software or something as I have tried this a few times and I have seen no difference at all. They did tell me when it was last at the dealers that they had to do it via computer, but then they would say that anyway.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Mine goes in this Monday to my dealer for this very procedure (or whatever they do for 20.5MY Evoques). Its booked for diagnostics, but I've asked for it to be reset as the gear changes are all over the place for the last couple of months.

·
Registered
823 Posts
So after a day left at the LR dealer, the paperwork says:

'Checked for gearbox appears to lurch on light throttle and seems to change gears frequently - Carried out software update to PCM & TCM'

Whatever that means?

I did notice (on my LR app) that after dropping it off at 6.30am, it didn't move until after lunch. They seem to have done a few circuits of the local road system, I guess to check out the gear changes after they've done the updates. Time will tell if its improved the gear changes.

The rattle seems better - 'repositioned body harness behind pillar to prevent contact & insulated pillar trim as required'

When I went to pick the car up, they said they were still working on it. Sitting like a lemon in the Covid secure waiting area (no coffee), after half an hour waiting, I get a text to say its ready. Probably quicker than telling me it was actually ready. I waited and then went over to the service desk to say 'I'm here and I think my car may be ready?'.

I'd rather use an independent dealer for car issues, but of course warranty means I have to go back to them for clear warranty stuff.

Funnily enough on every occasion I've visited, they always seem to find enough time to carry out a visual condition report. Never got the usual video, but it infuriates me that they do these. Clearly done purely for money purposes. I'm not sure at the age/mileage I'm at, I'm likely to need anything doing.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
3,128 Posts
...'Checked for gearbox appears to lurch on light throttle and seems to change gears frequently - Carried out software update to PCM & TCM' Whatever that means?
PCM is the powertrain control module and TCM the transmission control module.

Hopefully any changes will improve things for you.

Reactions: rencar

·
Registered
610 Posts
Funnily enough on every occasion I've visited, they always seem to find enough time to carry out a visual condition report. Never got the usual video, but it infuriates me that they do these.
..... and continuing the acronym explanations...
that'll be the BS Module then. ;)

Those guys at Costa must be clever chaps, having found a way to serve coffee Covid safe. It seems to be too technical for JLR dealers to master. :LOL:

Reactions: rencar

·
Registered
2016 TD4 180 HSE MY17
190 Posts
I am of the opinion a visual condition inspection report is only to safeguard them against customer complaints of damaged caused by workshop.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
It seems that most of the explanations JLR dealers come up with is due to it being
Sustained Hypothetical Intensive Training.
Acronym that one & you’ll see that there’s a load of it whenever you speak to a dealer.

• Haha
Reactions: liamdotcom

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here are the instructions on how to re-set the memory on your Automatic Gearbox.

1) Press Start button but don't turn on the engine.
2) Press the Accelerator down to the floor for about 15 seconds.
3) Hit the start button again to turn off the power.
4) Remove foot from Accelerator
5) Waity for 2 Mins.
6) Start the engine and Drive.

Simple but very effective- you WILL notice a difference- it re-sets the learnt driving/gear changes back to factory- re do as and when required.

Hope this helps.
Hi mate my Evoque sd4 64 plate 9speed is stuck in drive, I've tried this re-set and it's not worked, any other ideas I can't try... Thanks

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
3,128 Posts
Hi mate my Evoque sd4 64 plate 9speed is stuck in drive, I've tried this re-set and it's not worked, any other ideas I can't try... Thanks
Maffy left quite a while back...
Search the forum, I think there are some posts on this issue.
(I don't think you meant to ask for "ideas you can't try" as there are too many to mention! :censored:)

PS. How did you get on with your previous steering issue? The forum works best when people come back to update.

PS2. It's worth putting your Evoque year and spec in your forum profile so it's easy for people to see what you have :)

161 - 177 of 177 Posts