Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AutoExpress have put up an off-road review of the Evoque:

The furthest most Range Rover Evoque buyers are ever likely to venture off-road is the overflow car park at the races. But the 4x4 offers the go-anywhere capability you would expect from a vehicle wearing the legendary badge. How do we know this? Because we've given our Car of the Year 2011 its ultimate off-road test.

While the Evoque can be specified with front-wheel drive, most buyers will opt for 4WD. This uses the Freelander's Haldex system, which shuffles torque between the front and rear axles to ensure power is sent where it's needed most.

All four-wheel-drive Evoques are equipped with Land Rover's excellent Terrain Response system ""“ although, unlike on other models in the range, it's operated by pressing a button rather than turning a dial.

The set-up gives owners a choice of three off-road modes: gravel/grass, muddy ruts and sand. Each adjusts the sensitivity of the ESP system, as well as the settings of the all-wheel drive, throttle and automatic box.

The electronics also alter the weight and sensitivity of the steering for greater control and precision, and to reduce the risk of the wheel being ripped from your hands if you hit a rut.

All this means novices can tackle the trickiest of obstacles. Yet the most confidence-inspiring gadget is Land Rover's renowned Hill Descent Control set-up, which leaves you to steer while the car deals with any steep terrain.

You may think the Evoque's go-anywhere credentials would be compromised in this sportiest model in the range. However, it's more capable over the rough stuff than the current Freelander. This is thanks to its higher ground clearance, shorter front and rear overhangs and lower kerbweight

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/271663/range_rover_evoque_offroad.html

Cheers
Dan

·
Registered
134 Posts
cheers dan

·
Registered
120 Posts
Anyone been on, or booked to go on, the free LR Experience on/off road course? I'm on it tomorrownear Skipton which could be hairy given that its rained non stop for last 3 days !!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Went on the 1/2 day LR Experience yesterday. Fantastic ! It's split into an on road ( Prestige SD4) and off road (Prestige Si4) section. The Evoque is staggeringly capable off road for a car with no low range and smallish ground clearance.
I can only recommend that everyone tries to go on it . It gives you so much confidence in the car.

Bring on the snow!!!

By the way, my instructor reckoned that this will be the best RR ever in snowy conditions.

·
10,626 Posts
We've got to wait until 23rd Dec at Eastnor Castle, I guess that waiting is also part of the Land Rover experience.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Managed to book a SD4 at Eastnor on the 29th November. More waiting, but it'll be worth it! I wonder if our Evoque will be with us by then!?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts