Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
RANGE ROVER EVOQUE DIESEL HATCHBACK - 2.0 TD4 SE Tech 5dr Auto
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I recently bought a 2016 Range Rover Evoque 2.0d 4wd Automatic. I thought it’s a 2016 car and should be alright but unfortunately there are so many problem within the first few days of ownership I am extremely disappointed and may sell the car and never buy Range Rover brand again.

faults

1- Driver door lock mechanism doesn’t open and so the rest of the doors. ( I fixed it by replacing the mechanism)
2- Camera system fault I checked the camera and it’s full of moisture and salts. ( I have to replace camera, the fault is due to manufacturing design defect of the housing of camera. There is no holes for water to come out so I drilled 3 holes at the base of the camera housing. It should solve the issue permanently.
3- Now the main fault which I request input from everyone on the forum. Gearbox Fault the amber light turns on when I go on 50mph road it does not come on under 50mph speed. And the reason I missed to check it when buying the car.
I also realised once the fault diagnosed while on over 50mph the stop start becomes unavailable.
The light disappears when the car is stopped and engine shut and start again.
I was not able to use the car for 2 weeks and did have that battery low warning message but after using car it never came back. After reading many forums people suggest to change both batteries or either and many have solved the gear issue. Yet no one mentioned thatif there fault message is permanent or comes at high speed or gearbox warmup.

please if someone can assist that would be helpful.

·
Registered
2013 SD4 Dynamic Lux
119 Posts
Mine came up with gearbox fault, traction reduced, bought a ctek charger and left it overnight and fault not cone back to date, 4 weeks now🤞

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi thanks for the reply. I had a terrible experience yesterday. When the Gearbox Neutral light kept blinking and the Gear knob stuck in closed position. Its happened when i was looking for the auxiliary/ secondary in my Evoque. Yet i was not able to find any secondary battery not under the glove box neither under the windscreen where the wipers motors are. But instead, I found that the main battery terminals were loose. I accidentally removed the + battery terminal while checking it and that caused the drama. Anyway i tightened the connectors but to my amusement the car refused to start. But i figured out the the voltage drop at battery terminal was to fast. Just few times ignition even without the starter motor engaging caused the drop of voltage from 12.36v to 12.09v. The car gave Low battery warning red triangle. I though i have to call brake down service but thank God. I checked that the negative terminal was also loose i tightened it and kaboom the car started. left the car started for an hour and the error messages disappeared. I know the battery is dead and i have ordered a replacement.
I also found that the gearbox issue is not speed related at all as i drove car at 80mph for short distance and no warning light came on.

it is 100% battery issue I hope as even when the message comes on there is no noticeable difference in car driving experience.

Lets see if the battery replacement cures the issues. But, i am extremely disappointed with the Badge. Gearbox fault message due to battery fault is to big. Can give someone heart attack.o_O

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you bought the car recently from a dealer then the dealer should put it right under consumer law.....if you bought it privately then you obviously are on your own ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you bought the car recently from a dealer then the dealer should put it right under consumer law.....if you bought it privately then you obviously are on your own ?
If i had bought the car from a dealer i would have returned it under the right to reject. Anyway i will swap the battery tomorrow and hope the problem will be resolved. fingers crossed.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,248 Posts
It's not only JLR that show faults if the battery voltage gets low. BMW and many other makes also suffer from this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally got the camera but what a misery its not the same their is slight difference in the clip. Contacted LR customer service its as rubbish as their cars. The Advisor gave me twice the wrong camera model number. Anyway i have found it but its too **** expensive. I tried to hard wire Toyota Camera but i believe the CANBUS connection does not correspond. I will try another RR cheaper camera and see if i can get around this rubbish. This CANBUS is a real devil in modern cars. its too hard to find my original camera which is GJ32 - 19G590 BC. If anyone breaking their Evoque after being fedup with their car and have the same camera please let me know i will buy it. Need to fix this car and sell it.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Could be thereason the vendor sold the car???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could be thereason the vendor sold the car???
I dont think the seller knows about the Gearbox fault message as the car was in their constant use while i didn't used the car for nearly 1st 3 weeks and saw battery low warning when i started the car. Camera issue i knew on purchase but i never though it would be such a pain. I tried to hardwire connection from camera board but I think its the CANBUS causing the issue. Regarding the door actuator the fault was not there when i bought the car. Anyway a car with 66 plate should never have so many problems. its relatively newer car.

·
Registered
2017 HSE Dynamic Lux in Aintree Green, Surround and Park Assist, Heated Wheel
136 Posts
I don’t see what the issue is with the camera. If you knew about it when you purchased then surely it’s a case of speaking to a Land Rover parts department to get the correct part number then either buying from them or from somewhere else?
As for the canbus problem, you are trying to connect a Toyota camera to a Land Rover. That’s never going to be guaranteed to work!

The gearbox appears to be down to either a flat battery or the leads being loose...that’s not Land Rovers fault.
as for the door latch yeah, that’s annoying but is a known issue with Evoques!

End of the day it’s a four year old (maybe even 5) car. I expect mines to have some small issues so I would expect yours to also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I forgot to mention the tailgate struts does not open the tailgate when boot is opened. I think it’s also a known fault.
I have found the exact replacement part number myself. I am just waiting to get it for the right price. Than I may exchange it with a Q5 let’s see.
Thanks for everyone replies.

·
Registered
2017 HSE Dynamic Lux in Aintree Green, Surround and Park Assist, Heated Wheel
136 Posts
I forgot to mention the tailgate struts does not open the tailgate when boot is opened. I think it’s also a known fault.
I have found the exact replacement part number myself. I am just waiting to get it for the right price. Than I may exchange it with a Q5 let’s see.
Thanks for everyone replies.
Is that the automatic opening struts or the normal gas struts aren’t holding it open?

Q5 is a nice car, especially the newer 2017 shape, but very expensive for what you get. I was seriously looking at them as well as the Evoque but couldn’t spend the amount I would need to to get the spec I wanted!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts