Evoque Owners Club banner

141 - 160 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Am I being far too impatient, but I've still had no information on my new factory build FE?

All I have is that it was built on Monday 27th July, which I'd assumed to be the finished vehicle, as I had been told it was in 'body' in the days before that. It has been in quality control all this week. Every time I've asked for an update (and I have to keep asking for updates), the dealer tells me they don't have any more information, only that they know its in 'quality control'. Should I be expecting them to look into where it is and get a better update for me?

I'm not sure whether I should be at all concerned about the fact that its spent getting on for a week now in quality control.

On ordering, I had been promised delivery on Saturday 25th July, but because of a huge mistake, the RRE they called off wasn't the right one, so they managed to find one going through the factory build process. I have had my first (2 year) service covered FOC for the inconvenience, so that's something.

I do rather feel like I'm being kept in the dark about my car, but I am one to know 'anything' about the process. I'm unclear on the usual factory build process/lead times.

I had rather hoped that JLR would have a better method of keeping customers updated about factory builds, than relying on me contacting the salesman to find out what is happening. Perhaps I'm asking too much.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
in normal times from production/quality control it is shipped to the dealer in about 5 or so days then last prep then off you go-but these are strange times so who would know?
I would be pushing the dealer for info as they are the only ones who can keep track of it as such-this does seem to have been in QC a long time!

Reactions: XZ4

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
11,942 Posts
I don't think any factory no matter the make keeps customers up to date. Maybe you just need to hassle the salesman 🤔

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Indeed, once you have placed your order, you are generally out of the loop until it is ready, but, as I said the dealer should be able to get you a full and informative update as to it's whereabouts.
Hassle the buggers!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Yep.
Once it's built it's down to the salesman to call it forward for delivery to the dealer.
Normal time including PDI is about 10-12 days if the salesman is on the ball.
But if you don't keep on at them they can let things slide.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Yes, it’s my experience that they are not too keen on actually having to do something for their enormous commission. If you don’t keep on at them, your file will be at the bottom of the list, until you eventually get a call asking why you haven’t been in to collect your vehicle yet?😱

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Thanks a lot for all of the replies. Very helpful in understanding expectation setting for the dealer/JLR (not overly high at this point and not a great start)

Just received another email from the Salesman, who is away until next week:

"I have just checked and the vehicle is still showing in Quality Control - Will check it again on Monday"

They cannot possibly be quality controlling it for a week surely? - its been like this since Monday of this week - not unless there's something wrong with it! More likely haven't updated its actual status.

I know this year is probably different, but am I right in thinking the Halewood factory is closed for the Summer shutdown now (last week of July/start of August)?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
I spoke to the Salesman, who said because of Covid, and the fact that the factory are running with reduced staff, things are taking longer than normal, which is fair enough.

I have asked for a proper chase of the delay on Monday/Tuesday. I also suggested perhaps I should look elsewhere for a new used model instead, to just push the point.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I have asked for a proper chase of the delay on Monday/Tuesday. I also suggested perhaps I should look elsewhere for a new used model instead, to just push the point.
Good stuff.
It can be amazing how the wheels suddenly start turning when a commission is at stake!
(y)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Yeah tell em your cancelling the order, it'll then mysteriously turn up a few days later

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #151 (Edited)
Now appears my new car is well and truly stuck at the factory. Built on the 24th July and I have a VIN number (which I can see on Topix), but it has now been stuck in quality control for over a week!

Due to Covid, they are running with reduced staff, which is delaying orders. All dates and timings are estimates it seems.

I’ve just asked for a copy of the Vista build sheet, so I can see the official picture of the process.

I yesterday suggested perhaps cancelling and going elsewhere to find one in stock or used, since a dealer in their own group is saying they have one for sale, new and unregistered. Since then, I’ve had more updates!

They have now said when it’s ready to be called off, they will despatch transport to pick it straight up and bring it straight back to their dealership to avoid any further delays.

Never realised all this when I placed my order as the car was supposed to be from stock. Still at least I’ll get a RRE FE which has spent more time in quality control than normal!

·
Registered
MY20 P300e PHEV | Yulong White | R-Dynamic SE | Panoramic Roof | Clearsight | Driver Assist Pack
392 Posts
I wonder if RR quality control is in a huge air conditioned facility that has people in white lab coats inspecting all the key elements of each and every car that rolls off the line....or is it just a huge parking lot in a dusty field?

Reactions: Maffy

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Latest update is the dealer has been told the Halewood factory is closed for the summer shutdown and my car is still in Trim!

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
1,891 Posts
Latest update is the dealer has been told the Halewood factory is closed for the summer shutdown and my car is still in Trim!
I don't know how long their summer shutdown is but it sounds like it's worth waiting for a '70' plate registration now...

·
Registered
MY20 P300e PHEV | Yulong White | R-Dynamic SE | Panoramic Roof | Clearsight | Driver Assist Pack
392 Posts
Usually manufacturing shutdowns last 2weeks!

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
1,891 Posts
That's what I was guessing - so if it was me I would hang on for a 70 plate...

Reactions: Doink

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Rencar they’re probably using yours as a donor car to get the others through QC 😎

Reactions: Maffy

·
Registered
8,858 Posts
That's what I was guessing - so if it was me I would hang on for a 70 plate...
Me too , all detracts from value at resale

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Thanks for all the good words and advice.

Order and calm has now been restored.

Yes I'll now be (all being well), taking delivery on the 1st September (a new 70 plate), when builds start moving again after the 17th August at Halewood.

What an adventure! I'll update more fully in due course.

141 - 160 of 182 Posts