Evoque Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a long conversation with a JLR Salesman today. He told me he had invested in a Hydrogen manufacturer last year after hearing whispers about a project JLR were looking at. He said his investment was “doing rather well”.
He told me they had been sent videos recently that had clearly cost a lot of money to produce, regarding project Zeus, which involved the LR side of JLR going down the Hydrogen/Electric hybrid vehicle route rather than full EV.
He seems to think that it’s a serious project rather than just an idea.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,929 Posts
Hyundai are investing heavily into it now. They say between them and their partners they are investing over $6.7 billion and plan to produce over 700000 units annually by 2030

Reactions: PhilB

·
Registered
P300E on order autobiography
5,367 Posts
my dealer told me that hydrogen is hoping to brought out with a time scale of 5 years ... and in my Landrover advisory board forum we've done a lot of campaigns asking about hydrogen so it's on it's way ...

·
Registered
2020 P300e R-Dynamic SE, white
36 Posts
You can bet this is being pushed by the existing petrol companies. Allowing people to fuel their cars from their own homes electricity supply is dangerous for their business model. Much better to switch to another fuel that needs drivers to visit their filling stations.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
3,129 Posts
JLR mentioned hydrogen in their previous Reimagine announcement:

"...But we will not limit ourselves to pure electric.
Our aim is to achieve net zero carbon emissions across our supply chain, products and operations by 2039. As part of this ambition, we are also preparing for the expected adoption of clean fuel-cell power in line with a maturing of the hydrogen economy. Development is already underway with prototypes arriving on UK roads within the next 12 months as part of the long-term investment programme."

·
Registered
23 Posts
Several car manufacturers are hedging their bets with small hydrogen-power car projects. But no-one who's really looked into it in detail can see an efficient and cost-effective green method of generating the hydrogen, let alone tackling the distribution problem. Virtually all the hydrogen generated at present is so-called grey hydrogen, ie produced by traditional polluting industrial methods, The PR people at the fossil fuel companies have tried to rename this as blue hydrogen, but this doesn't seem to have worked. The idea is that if you can apply carbon capture techniques to grey hydrogen then it might become acceptable. But the problem is that while some basic form of carbon capture has been demonstrated at pilot scale, no-one but no-one the world over seems to be able to get it going economically at the large/industrial scale that would be necessary. And even then you've got the problem of how to handle and to store long-term the captured carbon (ie CO2).

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is the company that the guy from JLR had invested in. I haven’t looked into them at all, but their blurb mentions Green Hydrogen production.

Reactions: PhilB

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
The hydrogen being produced at the very few sites in the UK isn't the "Dirty" stuff.
Its made on-site using off peak electricity and tap water.
Trouble is whilst on the continent they are pushing ahead with hydrogen pumps at many more service stations, the lack of infrastructure here will delay the tipping point away from battery vehicles which will eventually happen.
Hyundai already have cars, buses and trucks running with fuel cells.
The pump near me which has been going since 2018:

·
Registered
P300E on order autobiography
5,367 Posts
The hydrogen being produced at the very few sites in the UK isn't the "Dirty" stuff.
Trouble is whilst on the continent they are pushing ahead with hydrogen pumps at many more service stations, the lack of infrastructure here will delay the tipping point away from battery vehicles which will eventually happen.
Hyundai already have cars, buses and trucks running with fuel cells.
The pump near me which has been going since 2018:
wow first time I've seen one none round here ...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Beware the extensive greenwashing from the fossil fuels companies. I'm not sure which 'very few sites' you're referring to here. Do you mean the handful of hydrogen filling stations that are being trialled? If so, then they may well be using on-site electrolysis, but it's a tiny fraction of the total hydrogen produced in the UK which is almost entirely grey hydrogen. See eg:

The problem is that blue hydrogen production on an industrial scale is currently fiction and seems likely to remain so. And green hydrogen production (eg from electrolysis) is expensive and inefficient. Much better to use the same electricity stored in EV batteries. I'm pretty sure that you'll find that the idea of hydrogen cars will quickly fade away over the next few years. Buses, HGV's, branch-line trains etc are a different matter though - running these on grey hydrogen might still have significant benefits, given the issues in fitting them with large enough batteries. (Elon will disagree of course, hence his Semi project but many in the energy community are unconvinced that it will succeed.)

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
The inconvenient truth is the advance of hydrogen fuel cells will eventually make battery EV's redundant.
In particular battery technology is too heavy for the HGV application.
The "Handful of stations that are being trialled" have been around for several years so hardly a trial.
Elon's "semi" will always remain just that.
He will only ever have a "Semi". 😆

·
Super Moderator
2,902 Posts
ITM Power has been a real player in Hydrogen creation/supply. Solid no frills company getting on with it in the background.

Hydrogen/Electric Hybrid will be the way to go, especially for the bigger vehicles/lorries etc.

Disclaimer: Philskill owns shares in ITM Power
(Well something had to pay for my Jag... ;-) )

Reactions: DKZ5745
1 - 13 of 13 Posts