Evoque Owners Club banner

141 - 160 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
MGB 1 - £87.5K :oops:. I know numbers with 1 in them command silly prices but MGB 3 would probably buy you a new Evoque now if you still had it to sell.
I sold it in the mid 70's for £550 to a chap with a Bentley. That was quite a few pennies in those days.

Interestingly, when I enquired at the DVLA (or what ever it was called in those days!) MGB1 and MGB2 had never been released and mine was the first MGB reg!!
It cost me 4 guineas (£4.40) to make the transfer which was a real pain in those days as you had to own both cars and take the donor car to the main licensing office for them to inspect!

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
11,942 Posts
My forst number transfer cost £5.40 (£5 plus 8% Vat). Same as you, I had to take the donor car to be inspected,

·
Registered
8,858 Posts
My forst number transfer cost £5.40 (£5 plus 8% Vat). Same as you, I had to take the donor car to be inspected,
My forst ya ken...he says in best Dundee accent. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
11,942 Posts

·
Registered
8,858 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
If you want to find out your personalised number plate original date of registration and location, goto this webpage and its about half way down called
'Number plate location and age checker', just put in your plate number
...https://www.newreg.co.uk/dvla-number-plate-identifiers/#issued

I checked my two personal number plates and my oldest (3 letters followed by 3 numbers) type plate was first registered in 1948 by Somerset county council, interesting to know it was that old. I bought the plate in 1982 from a number plate company. It was on my Evoque but is now on my Jeep Compass. My (one prefix letter with two numbers and followed by three letters) type plate was first registered in 1990 by Wiltshire county council, I bought it already on a car in 1995, liked the plate, kept the plate. It is now on my Mazda convertible MX5 MK4.

Reactions: Donna

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I'd be happy with just a 3 letter 3 number whichever way around dateless reg, I like the idea of finding and old classic car with said plates and just buying it for the plate and scraping the car, probably cheaper than buying a similar plate through a broker i'd of thought?

Now where to find the classic car?

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Reactions: colin4x4 and XZ4

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
on my supra atm but will be going on the evoque soon
Ah PAR, you must be a golfer. My brother has a PAR plate as he is fanatical about golf and is up at his local course playing all the time, (no wonder at £900 a year for ground fees) Got to get his money's worth :oops:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I'd be happy with just a 3 letter 3 number whichever way around dateless reg, I like the idea of finding and old classic car with said plates and just buying it for the plate and scraping the car, probably cheaper than buying a similar plate through a broker i'd of thought?

Now where to find the classic car?
And a decent scraper 😜

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Is that how they get the plates off vintage cars? 🤣

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I would imagine that every scraper already takes the plates off and puts them on retention for their own purposses, I know I would or are you suggesting approaching the scrapers to see if they have any plates for sale OR did you mean buy the complete car off them before they process it?

·
Registered
304 Posts
mine came off a early alfa I used to play golf but a spine injury put pay to that its my initials , the problem with getting a plate off an old car it must have a valid mot ,so I don't think you can just buy take it off and scrap

Reactions: Doink

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not mine, but locally we have ( or possibly had by now)...

X1 on a Mini and
J11MNY on a Jimny !

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
1,891 Posts
Looks like X1 is now on a Mercedes.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts

I still love this one I got 3 years ago, perfect on the car

Reactions: XZ4

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The only problem with car related private plates is that you have to either buy exactly The same car every time, or you have to sell it with the car when you get rid.
I was tempted by the offer of an RCZ plate just after getting that car, but remembered the day before seeing a really nice Merc with a BMW plate on it 🤔

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have
B15 GKS - on the Evoque
E16 GKS - on the Capri
K18 GKS - on the focus RS

I have H17 GKS on retention that was on a cosworth I sold - GKS my initials

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
The only problem with car related private plates is that you have to either buy exactly The same car every time, or you have to sell it with the car when you get rid.
I was tempted by the offer of an RCZ plate just after getting that car, but remembered the day before seeing a really nice Merc with a BMW plate on it 🤔
You’re right of course DKZ but I knew that when I bought it. When the car goes it goes with it but I’m sure it will help sell the car and that I will get at least what I paid for it back. MX5 owners love all that sh1t 😁

Reactions: Maffy and DKZ5745
141 - 160 of 165 Posts