Evoque Owners Club banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you so much for peoples comments on this forum. I am now in this exact situation. My range rover evoque is now with stratstone JLR and they are going to 'investiagte' - problem sounds exactly as you have all said... the steering has gone and makes awful grinding noise. These cars are a DEATH TRAP. I will fight my case and refuse to pay any costs as this should not even happen. My RRE is 14 reg, 68,000 miles, full land rover service history and MOT . wish me luck guys

·
Registered
9,075 Posts
Hi Hannah... I put up a post of exactly how I dealt with it... they know it’s a fault so take no nonsense from dealership ... I dealt directly with JLR complaints as mine was out of warranty by a week or two... if you have no joy at dealership contact JLR complaints directly and get yourself a case number these guys are the ones who make decisions on repairs ... if you go to them armed like I did it’s hard for them to say no ... recalled in Canada.... aluminium bolts are the cause of problem they are snapping, then there’s the safety agency to report it to ....they are aware of it , but you should report it when you have yours fixed ... mine snapped doing a three point turn middle of road and couldn’t move it , fortunately very quiet road ... an accident waiting to happen , they won’t recall it... but a free replacement is available trouble is dealerships probably don’t offer it or know... that’s why best to go to JLR direct .... please let us know how you get on x

Pm me in conversation if you have any problems

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Hannah... I put up a post of exactly how I dealt with it... they know it’s a fault so take no nonsense from dealership ... I dealt directly with JLR complaints as mine was out of warranty by a week or two... if you have no joy at dealership contact JLR complaints directly and get yourself a case number these guys are the ones who make decisions on repairs ... if you go to them armed like I did it’s hard for them to say no ... recalled in Canada.... aluminium bolts are the cause of problem they are snapping, then there’s the safety agency to report it to ....they are aware of it , but you should report it when you have yours fixed ... mine snapped doing a three point turn middle of road and couldn’t move it , fortunately very quiet road ... an accident waiting to happen , they won’t recall it... but a free replacement is available trouble is dealerships probably don’t offer it or know... that’s why best to go to JLR direct .... please let us know how you get on x
Thank you so much Donna, I manged to stumble across your message from exactly how you dealt with it (print screened it) and was armed with the exact same details as you've mentioned! Thank you so much for helping others! I will definitely let you know what they say, I will 100% fight this, my car is not in warranty but regardless I will fight this as like yourself, mine broke turning a corner into my sons nursery but dare to think had it of been a busy road. I could of killed a pedestrian or myself and son. Thank you again Donna, I will keep you updated xx

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you so much for peoples comments on this forum. I am now in this exact situation. My range rover evoque is now with stratstone JLR and they are going to 'investiagte' - problem sounds exactly as you have all said... the steering has gone and makes awful grinding noise. These cars are a DEATH TRAP. I will fight my case and refuse to pay any costs as this should not even happen. My RRE is 14 reg, 68,000 miles, full land rover service history and MOT . wish me luck guys
Just to say that I, like many others, have just had the same problem. Please see the following from the DVSA (Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency

"With regards to this case. The manufacturer has determined that the three aluminium retaining bolts, securing the EPAS motor to the steering rack, have failed due to inter-crystalline corrosion. This has been caused by salt water ingress between the EPAS motor and the mounting flange on the steering rack.

In order to understand the effects of power steering loss when driving a Range Rover Evoque or a discovery sport, DVSA carried out a test drive examination of a Land Rover Discovery Sport vehicle. The conclusions from the test drive are summarised below:
1. There is no evidence to suggest the vehicle does not comply with the original approval requirement.
2. The amount of effort required to control the vehicle with the EPS disconnected is greatest for manoeuvring and at lower speeds.
3. The amount of effort required with the EPS disconnected continues through the whole speed range.
4. The likely point of failure for the steering assistance motor to detach is at low speed or stationary as this is when the greatest torque is applied by the motor. At the point of maximum torque from the motor greater tensile loadings are applied to the bolts. As the load decreases the likelihood of detachment also decreases. This conclusion is based on engineering principles and experience.
5. The Driver has full braking available through the whole speed range.

It is not possible to conclude the failure of the Steering Assistance on the Range Rover Evoque and Discovery Sport due to corrosion of the retaining bolts, leading to the EPS motor detachment, meets the definition of an unsafe product, set out in the General Product Safety Regulation (GPSR) 2005 Regulation 2.
However, it is clear that drivers of these vehicles are concerned this is a safety issue and have raised this point with DVSA. It is also clear that unless remedial action is taken, steering motor bolts will continue to fail, leading to a loss of steering assistance. DVSA have recommended that that Land Rover conduct a voluntary recall to rectify those vehicles with aluminium bolts which could potentially fail.
The manufacturer has recognised the fault with steering motor bolts breaking on Range Rover Evoque (and Discovery Sport) vehicles. They have explained they are carrying out remedial work on a ‘fix on fail’ basis. However, they have chosen not to instigate a recall as they consider the vehicles meet the Type Approval requirements for a vehicle with failed power steering.
DVSA have also recommended that the manufacturer should continue to monitor the situation and provide DVSA with information on the number of cases reported. The manufacturer should also provide DVSA with any new information, which may arise and could lead to DVSA reconsidering the current conclusions or recommendations.

This concludes DVSA’s current investigations into this matter."

I printed this off. Presented it to my Land Rover dealer. The car was fixed within a week. Cost £0.00!

Hope it helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
hello everyone,

thank you so much for all your help, my car was with JLR for 12 days!!! No hire car offered, nothing. Was extremely disrupting to everyday life not having a car when I live in a remote village.

At first the JLR garages response was that they knew ‘nothing’ about the common fault steering rack... I did have to tell them to stop fibbing and stop trying to pull wool over customers eyes. In the end , my car was sat for 5 days whilst LR customer relations went ahead and told them to fix it FREE OF CHARGE, but the stress of that 5 days was horrendous thinking I’d be £3k down (as mentioned my 14 reg Evoque is out of warranty). But thank you all SO MUCH, without your tips / advice i know for a fact they would of tried to charge me had I not been full of information on knowing these cars are DEATH TRAPS.

Annoyingly, my evoque now won’t lock as the bonnet says it is not closed properly, so it’s back in the JLR garage And they want £150 off me.... absolutely no chance I’m complaining again to them today. I am selling the car this month as no longer want anything to do with Land Rover ever again in my life.

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque Autobiography 2.0L DIESEL 5 DOOR / L538
203 Posts
Well done Hannah!
Have you tried the obvious with your bonnet and slammed it shut really quite hard? That is what I often have to do with mine to stop the warning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well done Hannah!
Have you tried the obvious with your bonnet and slammed it shut really quite hard? That is what I often have to do with mine to stop the warning.
Thank you my love! Was so chuffed when they agreed to fix it for free in the end... the relief!!!
And yes I’ve tried slamming it 100x times, doing it gently , doing it to the side it’s not locking on... no prevail! I’m currently sat in stratstone now waiting to pick it up... interesting to see if they’ll charge me here. I’ve tried getting in touch with customer relations but their number is out of use so I emailed and complained instead... got no reply!

honestly can’t wait to sell my evouqe this month!!!

·
Registered
2015 Dynamic Lux 2.2Sd4
2,814 Posts
Reactions: ukcommander

·
Registered
9,075 Posts
Hi Hannah,..... so glad you got the steering sorted out, I’d of just taken the car back and said the bonnet latch was working prior to it coming in to be fixed ... they normally do a inspection before work and service carried out ... if it want highlighted then we’ll i guess it something they did during the repair ... that would be my call😜

·
Registered
253 Posts
Admin.

Maybe should be 'Sticky' Post #24 is very good info.!

Reactions: Bazz

·
Registered
MY20 P300e PHEV | Yulong White | R-Dynamic SE | Panoramic Roof | Clearsight | Driver Assist Pack
883 Posts
Would they have removed the bonnet to carry out the repairs? It could have been misaligned when replacing it?

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,112 Posts
It's normally the bonnet catch sensors at the front.

Either faulty sensor, or just needs some adjustment. When I got mine I had to tweak the rubber bung so when closing it contacted the sensor correctly.

·
Registered
2015 Dynamic Lux - Fuji white with the black rimmmms
41 Posts
This happened to my bonnet . closed sensor switch was gone . Couldn’t lock the car . The sensor is located on the passenger side bonnet lock it’s a simple micro switch . Quick fix is to remove the harness from sensor and place a paper clip in the socket . Sounds dangerous I know . But that’s all the micro switch is doing anyway .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 33 of 33 Posts