Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i really don’t no where to turn I bought a 2015 2.2 in May it is now 7 months old and I did not take out the extended warranty which now I realise how stupid I am,
Today as I turned on my drive the power steering has gone I have been told it may be the steering rack,
The car now has 61k on it we have only done 4K from purchase,
I do not have the spare cash to repair so I need some advice what to do next,
Thanks Gary

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Common problem electric steering rack failure, did you buy from a main dealer? Used to get 2 year warranty on approved used cars but now just a year so your within the years warranty IF purchased from a main dealer, if not then you probably got 3 months warranty in which case has expired so unfortunately your kind of in the lap of the gods, you could ask the dealer for some goodwill - you pay for parts they pay labour? Otherwise I don't know what to suggest?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks it was bought from Peter vardy in Edinburgh so a reputable dealer I will try them on Monday,
I only got a 3 month off them,the ironic thing is when I bought the car the turbo went they had it for 3week sorting it out,
So I lost 3 week of my 3 month warranty

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The other thing I am in Sheffield and I bought it from Edinburgh so cannot really ask them to do the repair

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
12,281 Posts
Where's @Donna when you need her. I think you'll find that any fault in the First 12 months should be fixed whether you have an extended warranty or not. Donna should be along sometime to verify this.

The power steering is a very expensive repair if it needs replaced.

Reactions: Doink

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Edinburgh or Aberdeen? Either way its an approved used so comes with at least a years warranty maybe 2 depending on when they reduced it, and being an approved used you can take it to any dealer for repairs

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,112 Posts
Sorry to hear that.
Check to see if you are still in warranty as @Doink says - sounds like you should be.
EDIT: I'm not sure if Peter Vardy are LR main dealers so perhaps that's why they only gave you 3 months...?

If the failure is due to the bolts failing then take a look at my previous post:
https://www.evoqueownersclub.co.uk/threads/steering-rack-recall-canada.15099/

I go on to link to the Discovery Sport forum where things have moved on (so keep reading) and more and more people are seeing failures.

Remember to update us so we know how you get on.
A replacement steering rack is around £3000 + fitting! Don't give up as many owners are getting results...

·
Registered
9,067 Posts
Hi ... I bought my first one peter baddy JLR Aberdeen .. it had 2 year JLR warranty..... personally I would call peter Vardy if no joy then ring JLR complaints and explain it all ... they give you a case manager and have been known sometimes to help with costs.... don’t know how this will work as of no warranty .... have a read of consumer rights act 2015 returning car and see where you stand !

·
Registered
9,067 Posts
Peter vardy I think can only give approved used warranty if coming from a JLR franchised dealership which as far as I know is Aberdeen

·
Registered
3 Posts
My daughter bought her Evoque(2015) just over two years ago. It has only 12,000 miles from new. The power steering has completely failed, motor sheared off the steering rack. Has gone in to local independent L/R dealer who has quoted£2978.00 for repair. He also has two more in workshop arguing with L/R to try and get contribution to repairs. L/R have only offered 10% contribution but have charged £100 recovery and £200 to examine fault. One car has 20,000 miles and the other 24,000 miles both 2015 registration. Any constructive information would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
12,281 Posts
Known but not common fault. I believe a new rack is needed (not secondhand) as it needs coded to the car and can only be coded once. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Thats why you never own a Land Rover without a warranty, clearly your daughters 2 year approved used warranty has expired now, assuming she bought it from a main dealer, and its for these types of failures why we have forum members starting threads about extending their warranties - shall I sharn't I...? I know it doesn't help you now after the fact but its the way Land Rover ownership is I'm afraid, I'm only 2 years in and I already know you don't run a Land Rover without a warranty. However warranty aside its shocking that a 4 year old car has such a failure at only 12k mileage, we recently had a timing chain on our 65 plate at only 30k miles at a cost of 3k, luckily the 3rd party warranty company paid for it and hats off to Motor Assured they never queried anything

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,112 Posts
My daughter bought her Evoque(2015) just over two years ago. It has only 12,000 miles from new. The power steering has completely failed, motor sheared off the steering rack. Has gone in to local independent L/R dealer who has quoted£2978.00 for repair. He also has two more in workshop arguing with L/R to try and get contribution to repairs. L/R have only offered 10% contribution but have charged £100 recovery and £200 to examine fault. One car has 20,000 miles and the other 24,000 miles both 2015 registration. Any constructive information would be appreciated.
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Hopefully you've read my early post and followed the links...
Some owners are having success with LR on the costs front. They do seem to look after people better that stay within the main dealer network.

Over on the Disco Sport forum they are advising owners that have this failure to report it to the DVSA (Driver & Vehicles Standards Agency) to force a LR recall on the grounds of safety: https://forms.dvsa.gov.uk/Vsdr/create

The DS forum thread is here: https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8842

Let us know how things go.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The steering bolts have corroded due to galvanic action. It's a known fault and if you had bought the car in Canada it would have already been the subject of a recall to avoid this happening. The fault existed at the time of manufacture in 2015, therefore it was present at the time of your purchase. You should not have to pay a penny. You are entitled to reject the car as being "not of satisfactory quality" under section 9 Consumer Rights Act 2015, Alternatively, they should offer to pay the full costs of the repair.

The retail bill for fitting a new rack (for that's now what it needs) will be the thick end of £3,000. If they make all nice and friendly by offering to pay 50% (75% even) and try to pass off this fake largesse as some kind of "special concession" they are unashamedly attempting to shirk their responsibility. Don't fall for it - they are much richer than you.

·
Registered
2015 Dynamic Lux 2.2Sd4
2,813 Posts
Well said Revoke. ? ? JLR should hang their heads in shame.:mad:

·
Registered
9,067 Posts
Revoke ... again agree 100%... if this has been recalled in Canada then copy paste send too JLR complaints the ombudsman...... kick up hell its wrong ... do not just accept what JLR dealerships tell you go to there complaints department get a case number involve the ombudsman after official complaint if your not getting any response.... too many people are being fobbed off without standing there ground.... I have just contested a leaking window screen which I was told by dealership wasn’t covered by warranty it’s going in on 20th to be replaced at there expense....after 4 weeks of arguing my case ... not everything is perfect but if you’re paying top dollar then expect top workmanship and engineering you pay for it after all xxx

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,112 Posts
In case it helps - here's my previous Power Steering recall (Canada) thread...

See my comments above re. reporting failures to the UK Driver & Vehicles Standards Agency to build a case for a recall here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
From my point of view 'a good result'. I had to take the Evoke from the independent L/R dealer to my main dealer, who investigated and confirmed total failure of the power steering. In conjunction with L/R as a gesture of goodwill, they offered a contribution of 60% of replacement. Whilst a good start I told them that this was not acceptable, as the failed bolts could not have been fit for purpose and highlighted the fact that L/R had recalled cars in Canada for the same failure problem. They referred my claim back to L/R customer care and after several days delay came back to me today to confirm L/R had agreed a 100% contribution to repair costs.The local dealership 'Rybrook' had already carried out the repair and the car was available for immediate collection.Thank you Land Rover for acting responsibly to my claim and also the various contributions on this site, which helped and encouraged me to persue the claim.

·
Registered
9,067 Posts
Great news ... well done ... I always believe if you stand up for your rights and keep fighting your case , if within reason you will win...just a shame that you have to fight for what’s right !

Reactions: Hannahbanana
1 - 20 of 33 Posts