Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a manual 2014 evoque pure and have owned it since Nov 2015, I bought it with 5000 miles on clock , it has had an intermittent fault for over 18 months, there is no pattern as to when it will happen.The power loss occurs for 3/4 seconds and happens when changing from 1st to 2nd or from 3rd to 4th gear.when it first happened the power loss occurred when slowing down at a roundabout /junction then accelerating to pull away
there was a 3/4 second delay before the power kicked in.Twice the car went into Limp mode with the relevant sign being displayed and both times it was recovered by Landrover assist and taken to my local Landrover dealer Stratstone.Stockton on Tees. It has been in and out of Stratstone now SIX times , the last being for 2 weeks and I just got it back on 5th July.It has had sensors replaced and a new throttle body. The last visits to Stratstone failed to show up any faults and the fault did not happen when they had it.The fault does not show up on the cars computer and the warranty expired in March. Siince getting the car back on 5th july the fault has again happened 3 times. Has any other member experienced this annoying fault as its driving my wife and myself mad and we have lost our faith in this beautiful car and are ready to get rid of it.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
11,951 Posts
Welcome. Sorry I can't help as I've never experienced that. Hopefully someone else will have some knowledge of it.

Good luck anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi blaked191

I had a somewhat similar problem. I experienced power loss at random (or at least at first I thought so).
I diagnosed the on board computer with bluetooth ODB dongle. Turned out the car reported MAP sensor error. The limited performance message was gone after the car had some rest and was restarted.

LR service wanted to replace the sensor but I decided to get a second opinion at a different LR licensed shop. They managed to trace the problem to a small crack in the intercooler rubber hose. I must say, the crack was really barely visible and I could imagine someone not seeing it right away. Simple replacement solved the problem for me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine too!!!

its a MY2015 2.2 Dynamic manual, 52000 miles.

Recurring problem, usually pulling out of junctions shifting from first to second and ........nothing. it's like the turbo has been disconnected and the car almost comes to a stop. dipping the clutch and getting the revs up usually clears it, but i've nearly been rear-ended twice this week.

Also noticed that below 1800rpm it runs very jittery when on partial throttle.

It's booked into Stratstone next week, warranty runs out in Sept
, but as you've said, ther's no way to predict when it's going to happen.

Will keep you posted.

(Other than that, i've really enjoyed it)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Update following visit to Stratstone,

They have come across this sort of thing before and undertook a full reset of the air path components and software. Apparently, when they've done this before the offending vehicle didn't return, suggesting a solution.

A week or so in, and it does appear to have resolved the situation.

There was also an unrelated software recall undertaken at the time so who knows?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi I have same problem as described above,loss of power at roundabouts etc ,out of warranty. How did you get on blaked191 is your problem resolved now. My14 sd4.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've got this behaviour on my car too. MY14 SD4 Pure, manual. Now at 51k miles.

It's very strange as there is no pattern to it. I had first had this occur perhaps 2 years ago, it happened a few times then went away for a year or so, however the issue has returned in the last 6 months. It is quite scary as usually occurs when pulling on to a roundabout or away at a junction.

The problem is that there is no error code for LR to track down the issue and it is not something consistent or regular enough for a causal test by the garage to actually experience and acknowledge the problem exists. This makes me think we have no choice but to live with it but the potential exists for a nasty accident as the car might be fine for a couple of weeks, so you forget about it, then pulling on to a roundabout one day, no power.

I've actually been running the car on Shell V Power for the last 2 tanks and perhaps just coincidence but no issues during that time. If a clear cause could be found I'd be into the garage like a shot as I paid for the extended LR warranty to cover issues just like this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Highland evoque what you have just explained is spot on, that is exactly what we have had. Last week my wife was in the outer lane of duel carriage way and went into limp mode and went from 60 mph down to 10 mph and by luck of an experienced lorry driver behind her slowed down traffic. She managed to get to local dealer and turbo hose had come off and they re fitted, at no cost even though we are out of warranty(march 2017). This happened before around 18 months ago and same thing turbo hose came off. So I wasn't willing to pay. Went to the beach on Monday and the same again lagging/ no power the usual was back. Just checked hose and the clip is off again. So back it will go 2mrw to be re fitted. Not happy like you highland evoque live with it or get rid I think. To dangerous to keep. But other than that like the car. Will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there, my low mileage 2013 auto sd4 did it, took to dealer as it is a very dangerous fault, stratstone did a software update and it seems fixed, fingers crossed, update seemed to be some kinda airways update.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes its really dangerous. Is LR reading these posts.
Happen to me, sd4 2013,.its so dangerous im getting rid of my car...thing is LR dont do a recall or seem to know the cause.
Had my dealer do a airpaths software update today and it seems fixed...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi softwareman thanks for info on airpaths update. Booked in this morning at stratstone and I will ask them to do that update aswell. Or new car shopping at the weekend ?!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Visited stratstone this morning turbo hose re fitted. Asked about airflow update and they stated they would check and the parameters were within tolerances as they should be. Although the update would be different one they would not normally do on yearly service ?!! Car running like new so no power loss and increase of 3MPG. So for now looks like a fix no stuttering at roundabouts. Looks like any of the hoses connected with turbo are loose or allow pressure to drop and problems occur however small. But a good place to start with, looks like it's staying for now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So Glad I found this Thread!! My Evoque, 2014 Dynamic Manual, is having exactly the same problem: Intermittent power loss between 1500 to 2000rpm when accelerating. The other ridiculous thing is it didnt do it in the Winter months, when the weather was colder! It was doing it (2 to 3 second power loss, hesitation) in summer last year and is doing it again now. After reading your Posts it seems to make sense, that it could be the rubber hose, from the Turbo.. As in the warmer weather its likely to be more supple and expand more, thus exasperating any small cracks the Hose might have.
Did any of you guys notice the problem going away in cold weather, or it being worse in the Summer months?
Shes in for a service next week, so I will definitely ask about getting the Airway/Airpath update.
Thanks again fellas. Will update after the Service..

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
GET A NEW AIR FILTER (why? see below)

You would think that the engine management light coming on is always due to an error code, and a diagnostic code reader should pick up a code.

One of the main causes of power loss and eventual limp mode due to a turbocharger is code<b style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">P0299[/b]andrefers to a condition where the PCM/ECM (powertrain/engine control module) has detected that the bank "A" or single turbocharger or supercharger is not providing a normal amount of boost (pressure).

The usual and simple solution is that you have a very dirty and clogged up air filter. Replacement with a new air filter is the first (and cheap) solution and usually the correct solution to let better flow into the turbocharge. Reset the engine management light with your diagnostic plug code reader. (a tenner off Ebay).

I have had that on one of my previous diesels (not RR/LR), and it was solved simply with a new air filter (original being 4 years old and tottaly manky resulting in very poor air intake, DOH!)

Reactions: DynamicEvq

·
Registered
2013 Td4 Auto Fuji White
38 Posts
Check the intercooler hose (Intercooler to throttle body), this seems to be a common failure. Try and squeeze the hose along its length as the crack will not normally be visible.If this is the issue you'll also hear more turbo noise (whooshing sound) when on boost and lose power. The fault cxode may not be activated unless the hole is large and at low boost pressure.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So Glad I found this Thread!! My Evoque, 2014 Dynamic Manual, is having exactly the same problem: Intermittent power loss between 1500 to 2000rpm when accelerating. The other ridiculous thing is it didnt do it in the Winter months, when the weather was colder! It was doing it (2 to 3 second power loss, hesitation) in summer last year and is doing it again now. After reading your Posts it seems to make sense, that it could be the rubber hose, from the Turbo.. As in the warmer weather its likely to be more supple and expand more, thus exasperating any small cracks the Hose might have.
Did any of you guys notice the problem going away in cold weather, or it being worse in the Summer months?
Shes in for a service next week, so I will definitely ask about getting the Airway/Airpath update.
Thanks again fellas. Will update after the Service..
I have experienced exactly the same problem as Dynamic Evq. Summer last year (still in warranty) and summer this year (out of warranty) with no problems in between. My local dealer has downloaded DTCs and has found nothing. Have you managed to identify the cause and rectify or has the problem now disappeared until next year? For info I have a TD4 dynamic, 2015 model.
Regards

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok. Update as promised. Didn’t have anything to report until now..
About two weeks ago I was overtaking on a dual carriageway and at 3000rpm I got the Restricted Performance message. However, I continued to drive it, changing gears before 2000rpm, accelerating very slowly and it got me home.
Like I mentioned before. It’d been fine over the winter months and it was 26 degrees centigrade on the day it went into Limp Mode..
I put my Scanner on it. (Foxwell NT520) and for the first time it gave me an error code. P0403 and P0405; which is the EGR Error Code, “over and under sensor threshold/short to ground.”
So I replaced it with a Pierburg OEM EGR and it’s been fine since..
However, over on the Freelander 2 forums they report the same issues. (Evoque and Freelander 2 share the same engines) And they say a new EGR does improve things but only for a while!
Here’s a link to one of their best Threads. 18 pages of problems (with no definitive fix unfortunately!)
https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic20555-45.html
The best “solutions” they’ve come up with are Intercooler Hose, Replace Fuel Filter, New EGR and Air Path Update (which is done as standard when a new EGR Valve is fitted) some have even changed the Accelerator Pedal with some success..
I’ve never had an EGR code until I was accelerating hard, on that hot day. So maybe that’s what it took, to push it just enough, to register a fault.. Sadly I don’t think there IS a definitive fix to this..
Will update if it starts with the hesitation, loss of power issues again.. Hope this helps someone..

·
Registered
24 Posts
PS.. I’m thinking of having it Re-Mapped, as I’ve read a few Posts by people saying the re-map did fix it. Also improved drive-ability quite noticeably and fuel economy too..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure if anyone is still on this thread but I'm having the exact same issue. I don't have much knowledge about cars so booked in to a garage that has a good land rover background but on the phone didn't sound like something he'd come across. Did anyone ever get a lasting result on this?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts