Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Could someone please post a side-on picture of the evoque with a canoe,kayak or ski on the roof racks. I'm looking at ordering the evoque but wondering if the back slant design of the roof with my 6metre surf ski fitted would look too much of an angle.Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, she doesn't look too bad with a windsurfer on top. Any other pictures of surf skis or kayaks from the members would be appreciated.thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
I must say I like the look of the factory rails/crossover bars better than the Thule setup. I'm wondering what the price difference is?

Thanks for posting the Thule setup Dan. Are you going to leave the Thule setup on the vehicle all the time? I think if I went the "Thule" route, after ski season I would take them down unless I had something that I need to haul.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, It is my car and pics, Dan helped me to post the pics on the forum. I agree with you, the car loks nicer with the roof rails. But roof rails cost you, also petrol when driving around. Price for the RR roof rails including mounting is approx 1.400 GBP and the Thule roof racks are approx 320 GBP (in Sweden). Comparing the costs I opted for the cheaper Thule solution. The roof rack I use only when needed, and is easy to take on and off (saves petrol too). It is also Thules latest rack, the "wing bar", the most aerodynamic so far shaped like an airplane wing. It is easy to add on a canoe or ski holder on the rack, or a roof box for that matter. Surf www.thule.com to see more.

Good luck with your choise and regards from Sweden.

·
Registered
226 Posts

Thanks for the info HappyH.

Above is my solution to the ski problem. However, I haven't road tested it yet. I'm using a 1 1/4" bar virtual bike rack with the skis bungied on. Shaking them, they seem to be tightly attached. And they have a very small footprint from the wind. Horizontallythe skis stick out less than the wing mirrors. Still, it looks a little hokie.

Back in the 60's I had a Volvo that I mounted a ski rack on (straight ski rack, but it looked like yours). For a couple of years I kept it on the car full time. During that time, I checked the gas mileage regularly. Then I decided to take it off during the non ski season and found that running with the rack on reduced my gas mile by 10% consistently.
I seem to remember 20 MPG with the rack removed and 18 MPG with the rack on. And I might add, all tests were done with no skis attached which would have reduced the gas mileage further.

Disclaimer: My crossbars were no where near as aerodynamic as your cross rails appear to be. I doubt the fore and aft Evoque rails reduce the gas mileage much as they have a very narrow forward footprint.

Is your rack specially made for the Evoque or is it a standard model? I may get one. If it's not too much trouble and you have the model number handy, would you post it here?

Thanks

Edited by: Starflyer

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Starflyer!I think the police would stop me in Sweden if I drove with the ski's mounted like that! Maybee carving ski's are shorter?

Ah, a Volvo
! Must hve been the amazon or even 140 serie. At that time aerodynamic cars wasnt really around like today so I guess you improved the overall wind situation around the car by keeping the roof rack on.

My roof rack is a standard Thule rack with special fitting for the evoque. Find out more at the Thule fit guide on their home page: www.thule.com/fitguideFirst choose roof rack then car model (Land Rover), then evoque, then type of loadbar etc:
Thule Rapid System 754
Thule WingBar 962 (or slide bars)
Kit 1663 Rapid (to fit the evoque)

Good luck!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Like I said, the view is an optical illusion as the length of the skis are just a tad shorter that the distance from the outside of the mirrors (side to side).

I really wanted to go vertical, but so far haven't could a vertical rack that will fit into my 1 1/4" receiver. And so far, I haven't found a converter bar that goes from 1 1/4" to a 2" receiver.

And in truth, I haven't road tested my "ski rack" yet. The only reason I want something like this is for those days when I have 2 or 3 other skiers with me. If I'm by myself, I still just put in the back with the rear seats folded down.

Yes, it was a Volvo 142. Great car and the only car in my life that I ran over 100,000 miles. However, it had some crappy engineering like the A/C compressor bolted to the engine. Once, I was driving and the bolt holding the A/C compressor broke and fell off the engine. What a racket that made!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not quite sure,but does this picture have a panoramic roof as I have ordered evoque with pano but need the option of fitting Thule roof rack for mountain bikes etc. If so does any body know Thule parts needed for fitting onto pano roof

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi stevenc,
Yes i have a panorama roof. Look into the thule fit guide to find the necessary parts! The internet adress is above. Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts