Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2013 RR Evoque Dynamic Lux
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, i am new to this forum so i am sorry if this has been discussed before ( i have searched the threads but cant seem to find a fix to my exact problem )

My car is a 2013 RR Evoque dynamic SD4 Auto.

So i have had this car now for around 4 weeks and loved everything about it. The car has been in daily use ever since in which i had no issues. Today i jumped in the car as usual , held down the brake pressed start and there was nothing, just the clicking noise. At first i thought that noise is the starter motor ( dread ). Anyway after researching online i believed it to be a key fob issue. so i went back out side and tried a few more times with key in hand / under steering wheel and eventually the car fired. Stopped the car and tried again and once again car wouldn't start. i messed around few more times and once again it fired.

I am NOT getting the " smart key cannot be found " message however. I have tried removing fuses 1 & 17 in glove box but hasn't seem to worked. i have messed around about 5/6 times now eventually getting the car to start with key under the steering wheel or something similar so I'm sure it must be a key fob issue ?

Am going to try the spare key although that shows a low battery warning so going to replace both battery's later on.

Any helps, tips or resets would be really appreciated.

* Update *

So after reading other things online people have suggested about the brake pedal not being pushed hard enough / the sensor could be playing up ?? Either way i went back out to the car with the spare key, and after one try it started. Turned it off, tried again while pushing hard on brake and started again. Now i dont know if the psare key is working better or if im not pushing hard enough on the brake!! :) Any help appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Hi @lewiswood182

Some may say on here to check your battery levels first...so I’d be inclined to give that a try.

Secondly, I’ve had 3 brake switch failures, one on a Disco, a Jag and a BMW. These are usually located under the brake pedal towards the top rear. They wear over time or if your car is a high mileage motor. So, this is something to be aware of.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
If it’s working OK with one key fob, but not the other, even though you’re not getting the expected message, I would try replacing the battery in the key fob, and see if that works, it’s cheaper than replacing brake switches, and can’t do any harm.

Reactions: PhilB

·
Registered
336 Posts
Main battery needs charging / replacing.

The clicking is the starter solenoid dropping in and out, what it is doing when you try to start the car there may be enough power in the battery to work the solenoid to put the power to the starter motor but then as soon as that happens the power needed from the battery goes up (Could be 150 amps to turn the engine over), now the battery can not supply that and the voltage goes down a lot (depends on the charge/state of the battery at the time) so now the car electrics and the starter solenoid now drops out again, now with no big load on the battery the voltage now goes up, enough to energies the starter solenoid again and the sequence starts again.

Hence the clicking sound.

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque Autobiography 2.0L DIESEL 5 DOOR / L538
311 Posts
I think you are jumping to wrong conclusions about the problem being with the keyfob or brake switch.
As Evomike says, it is more likely a battery problem or a starter motor problem (it could be the solenoid in the starter motor is partly stuck).

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
One old fashioned way to test if it is the battery, is to turn the lights on and if they go really dim when you try to start the car, then its the battery.
Worth a try?

·
Registered
2012 SD4 Dynamic Lux
1,601 Posts
Get in the car with the fob well away from the car. Press the start button. You’ll get a message saying something like "key not found". If you don’t get that when you have the fob in the car, it’s not the fob. I'd charge the battery first but if it’s the original battery, at 7 years old, I’d change it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hi All,

Thanks for all your suggestions and comments. After messing around with key fobs etc i believe later that day / the next day everything went back to normal and hadn't had any issues ... until now!

Basically 2 days ago it happened again while i was out, exact same issues. Get into the car , press start , hear the click sound and nothing ( no cant find key issue ). Took me around 10 minutes of messing around to get it started, when i had got to me destination i turned the car off, tried to start it straight away and it was fine. Came back to the car around 3 hours later and had the same issues, finally got it going and now safely back on the drive for investigation.

Reading your comments above I see a few mentioned the battery, I've been working from home so haven't been driving the car as much plus the real cold weather has come in which i would assume would support the battery being low idea ? From previous starter motor failures in previous cards i know you only get a few more goes once its on the way out so surely 3 months with no problems means it isn't that ?

I obviously didn't want to start replacing things hoping they would fix the issue as it could result in a waste of money but I'm thinking it may be a battery issue even though i haven't seen or had any other issues that would of made me believe my battery was low apart from if the car isn't running and the radio is on , after a few minutes i will get a message saying the system will shut down in 1 minute ? Never had any dashboard warnings however.

Appreciate any further help or comments.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Try investing in C-TEK battery charger/conditioner and leave it on permanately when car not in use. See previous threads about this (byHMMM, I think).
However, if it is the original battery, its probably time to relace it (with the correct one!).
👍 🤞 👍

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque Autobiography 2.0L DIESEL 5 DOOR / L538
311 Posts
Starter solenoid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can now see that it isn't the key fob so its now closing in on a few possible problems. As mentioned above i really don't want to start throwing money at it hoping to fix the problem. I've just gone and taken a look at the battery and I'm unsure if it is the original or not. My only hunches is around the fact that i haven't had a single issue for around 3 months and now that its not been used much and the weather has dropped to freezing at night, the issue has returned. That and whenever I've driven the car, turned it off and tried to start it straight away its been fine. Sorry for my inexperience with technical issues and explanations!

Thanks again all for any help

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Main battery needs charging / replacing.

The clicking is the starter solenoid dropping in and out, what it is doing when you try to start the car there may be enough power in the battery to work the solenoid to put the power to the starter motor but then as soon as that happens the power needed from the battery goes up (Could be 150 amps to turn the engine over), now the battery can not supply that and the voltage goes down a lot (depends on the charge/state of the battery at the time) so now the car electrics and the starter solenoid now drops out again, now with no big load on the battery the voltage now goes up, enough to energies the starter solenoid again and the sequence starts again.

Hence the clicking sound.
Thanks for this explanation, from what I've read today and tested I now know that it isn't the key as previously thought and is looking very much like a battery issue. I'm hesitant to buy one hoping this is the issue as they are pricey however i don't think I'm left with an option. With limited knowledge of engines im assuming that the previous 3 months without any issues plus when it does play up it starts eventually would point towards it being the battery and not the starter ?
Thanks

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,793 Posts
@lewiswood182
In case it helps:

NB. It's worth putting your Evoque year and spec in your forum profile as it helps with queries :)

Reactions: lewiswood182

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@lewiswood182
In case it helps:

NB. It's worth putting your Evoque year and spec in your forum profile as it helps with queries :)
Thank you for the link, i will take a look at them. May be handy to have even when this issue is sorted. Im just worried at throwing money at the issue as weve all done that are its heartbraking when the issue isnt solved.

Ive added my car to my profile on the left hand side, couldnt work out how to add it below my posts! :)

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,371 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As mentioned above I am going to investigate the possible cause being the battery before anything else. So if i am correct even if everything else seems fine, the battery may be to low to start the car ? I am having a friend come round tomorrow with his gadgets so we can test what power the battery has currently / when trying to start up. Anyone know what sort of reading we should be looking for / what would be to low to start the car ? Also have a battery charger ready to try that if it is low so i can move it and buy a new one.

On investigation currently when i try and start it i would say its more than a click from the inside of the car, its more like you can hear the starter fire / clang ( sorry for not describing it very well ) from the engine bay. Anymore tips or help would be appreciated and will update further when i know. Mine doesn't have the start stop feature so assume i dont need a AGM battery ?

Thanks all

·
Registered
466 Posts
If you're getting some heavy mechanical noises when trying to start then it does sound as though there's a starter motor/solenoid problem...
However the Evoque is very fussy about battery condition so don't rule it out. I've recently replaced my AGM battery (so info may not be entirely relevent) and have a battery monitor fitted which is showing 13.0v at rest after a charge and cranking voltage drops to 10.3v

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you're getting some heavy mechanical noises when trying to start then it does sound as though there's a starter motor/solenoid problem...
However the Evoque is very fussy about battery condition so don't rule it out. I've recently replaced my AGM battery (so info may not be entirely relevent) and have a battery monitor fitted which is showing 13.0v at rest after a charge and cranking voltage drops to 10.3v
Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I wouldn’t say it’s a heavy mechanical noise , it’s just a single clang as if something is firing / hitting against something.
Regarding the battery, I’m going to test the voltage tomorrow see what that shows and possibly take it out and give it a charge. If I do need a new battery, I believe I am right in saying I don’t need a AGM version as my car doesn’t appear to have the start / stop option?
Thanks again

·
Registered
466 Posts
I can't say for sure but you're probably correct, Tayna are well recommended, put your reg in their web site and you should get an answer, but I would also check the spec of your existing battery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, thanks for your help. I’m going to try as much as I can to confirm it’s the battery before I go and buy a new one, only to find out it wasn’t that. I will see what voltage readings I get tomorrow , possibly charge it or failing that try and jump start of another car? If it’s the battery surely car should fire first time? Failing all this into a garage as I assume would be the starter. Fingers crossed and any other info appreciated

1 - 20 of 26 Posts