Evoque Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
P300e MY2021 Nolita Edition, Seoul Pearl Silver, Nolita Grey roof, sliding sunroof, Cloud , towbar
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this info on another Landrover forum

Hi, I'm from Jaguar Land Rover's SOTA Release and Operations team.

Given there is so much discussion around vehicle software updates and with a number of key updates coming this year for vehicles equipped with Pivi / Pivi Pro, I thought it would be helpful to provide some further information around this topic.

SOTA (Software-Over-The-Air) technology allows us to update multiple ECUs (Electronic Control Units) within your vehicle, such as Pivi/Pivi Pro, Powertrain, Chassis, Drive Assistance Systems and Charging/Battery Management modules (on applicable vehicles).

There are 3 types of updates:

1. Automatic Updates: Whilst driving, updates are installed in the background with no effect on the usage of your vehicle. It’s installed to a second partition of the corresponding ECU. The ECU has two partitions, one is updated whilst the other is in use. The next time the vehicle starts, the module switches to the newer version and the original is retained as a back-up.

2. Manual Updates: Where the vehicle requests you to click ‘Update now’ or ‘Schedule’, the update will install after locking the vehicle or at the time selected. During the advised installation time, the vehicle cannot be driven. These updates can either be for individual modules or include a pack of updates across multiple modules.

3. Manual Updates with T&Cs: These updates require you to agree to the Terms & Conditions before installation can begin. This could be due to any updates to the original Pivi / Pivi Pro T&Cs. Once agreed, the system will then follow the regular update process.

Every time you drive the vehicle, it checks for updates - assuming you are in an area with network or Wi-Fi coverage. In this case, you do not need to initiate anything from the vehicle.

Automatic updates will automatically download, preinstall and require no pop-up to be accepted. When you next use your vehicle, it will be running on the updated software. You can see the information about the update contents in the software updates menu.

Manual updates will automatically download. Following the download and any preinstallation, you will be presented with a pop-up at ignition off prompting you to update now or schedule. You can go directly to the software updates menu and select update now or schedule from there.

After clicking update now, you can leave and lock the vehicle.

The vehicle will wait 10 minutes before proceeding with the update, to give you time to go back to the vehicle and drive away if you need to (this will stop the update from proceeding).

After 10 minutes has passed, the vehicle will wake up and perform the pre-condition checks to ensure it is okay to proceed with the installation.

The vehicle checks multiple things, including, but not limited to:

Windows closed: To ensure the vehicle is secure - just make sure you have closed all windows fully. Even if the windows look closed, it’s still possible one could be very slightly open and easily missed resulting in the update not able to take place.

Battery charge: There must be sufficient 12V battery charge for the install to succeed, whilst ensuring there’s plenty of charge remaining in the battery to allow the vehicle to be started multiple times. The charge requirement varies by update, depending on how long the install will take. If for example, the update is very large and you have driven multiple short journeys, the update may not proceed. Reattempt the update after you have performed a long journey.

PHEV Vehicle connected to a charger: Currently updates are not supported whilst the vehicle is plugged into a vehicle charger. We hope to remove this restriction in a future update.

Network connection: The vehicle will check the server prior to installation to ensure the update is still valid. This can happen via the vehicle’s internal eSIM or Wi-Fi. If Wi-Fi is selected and connected, it will prioritise Wi-Fi. Therefore, if you have issues, try disabling Wi-Fi as the signal may be insufficient or could be affected by other devices in/around your home. If using the eSIM, is the vehicle parked where there is network connection? If your vehicle is fitted with Pivi Pro and in markets where connected services are included (e.g. real time traffic information) check the signal strength indication for Pivi Pro in the area under the clock on the touchscreen prior to vehicle shutdown. Note: Whilst the telematics module which connects to the cloud for downloading SOTA updates uses a separate connection to the one Pivi Pro uses (in applicable markets), in most cases this can be used as a guide.

Ambient temperature: The update will not proceed in extreme temperatures (-10 and below) due to increased drain on the battery.

OBD (On-Board Diagnostics) check: As the updates are performed across the internal vehicle network, the update cannot proceed if there is something plugged into the OBD port, as this could interact with the vehicles internal network.

Scheduled events: If you have something scheduled like climate pre-conditioning during the time of a SOTA update, the update will not proceed.

Once the install checks have been passed, the vehicle then initiates the installation. If you attempt to start the vehicle at this time (estimated install time is shown on the screen when clicking update now), it will appear to be dead. You can lock and unlock, but if you attempt to start the car, nothing will happen. (In an upcoming release it will display that software is installing)

When returning to the vehicle, you will see a notification saying either the update did not proceed (this means one of the prechecks did not pass) or that the update has been successful.

It’s also worth noting that not all vehicles receive updates on the same day, we release updates in batches. If you see a fellow group member with the update ahead of you first check all the above and then secondly just continue to drive your vehicle. It should eventually receive the update. Also depending one th software your vehicle was built with, certain updates may not be required for your vehicle.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Thanks for posting.
Very good info which will hopefully sort out any confusion.
(y)

·
Registered
2021 P200 R-Design S Fuji
201 Posts
Well spotted👏.
I'm now waiting with baited breath to see if maps are automatically downloaded as claimed in the Iguide, Digital Handbook, Pivi FAQs web page and by LRAssist. All I've seen to date is a message to say a new map is available for download at www.landrover.com/pivimap, which I have resisted downloading, pending the automatic update .

·
Registered
MY21 R Dynamic HSE, Eiger Grey, Black Pack, Black Contrast Roof, 21 5078 wheels
28 Posts
As the post was taken from a different forum it would be good to know when it was posted. Hopefully it will be new and the promise of updates will cure the issues with the system, but I’m not holding my breath just yet.

·
Registered
P300e MY2021 Nolita Edition, Seoul Pearl Silver, Nolita Grey roof, sliding sunroof, Cloud , towbar
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Saw it here. But the poster found it on the Defender forum

·
Registered
R-Dynamic SE P300e Firenze Red/Pan Roof/Black Pack
286 Posts
I got a software update yesterday. Today both screens went blank.

·
Registered
2021 P300e R-Dynamic SE Nolita Grey two tone seats keyless entry black wheels fog lights spare wheel
131 Posts
Updates? You lucky people!:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
MY21 R Dynamic HSE, Eiger Grey, Black Pack, Black Contrast Roof, 21 5078 wheels
28 Posts
2.1.0 Update came through for me today. Includes: predicted on street parking availability; improvements in roads at night in driver display; simplified navigation settings; simplified profiles and personalisation; changes to editing the home screen; ability to ‘add all’ in various media; bug fixes.

Hopefully the ‘bug fixes’ fix the niggling issues with the system (although immediately after installing it, the car’s sat nav told me I was in Germany for a
minute!)

·
Registered
152 Posts
My car received the 2.1.0 update last 5 days ago. Fingers crossed it seems to have resolved eSim issue as I have 4g on each occasion the engine has started. It also appears to have resolved the bug which caused the pinch zoom feature on the map touchscreen to always default to large scale seconds after zooming out.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My car received the 2.1.0 update last 5 days ago. Fingers crossed it seems to have resolved eSim issue as I have 4g on each occasion the engine has started.
5 days of hope BUT no 4G today :rolleyes:

·
Registered
R-Dynamic SE P300e Firenze Red/Pan Roof/Black Pack
286 Posts
My Profile - vanished again,not going to bother setting it up as no point. Headlight high beam assist also needed resetting.
Quite frankly Land Rover it's sh1t and why you think it's acceptable to sell a car with such a flawed system is beyond me.

·
Registered
2021 P300e R-Dynamic SE Nolita Grey two tone seats keyless entry black wheels fog lights spare wheel
131 Posts
After complaining in writing to JLR Customer Services for the second time on Thursday, I got my first ever update yesterday! (2.1.0a, 9 July 2021)
I started to set up my profile but it wouldn't let me continue after entering my name. Oh well. As long as the blank screens are fixed (fingers crossed).
AHBA was fixed at the dealers a month ago.

·
Registered
201 Posts
After complaining in writing to JLR Customer Services for the second time on Thursday, I got my first ever update yesterday! (2.1.0a, 9 July 2021)
I started to set up my profile but it wouldn't let me continue after entering my name. Oh well. As long as the blank screens are fixed (fingers crossed).
Some good news at last and you've jumped to the very latest:D.
For the profile are you going to try the volume button reset or the factory reset or let the profile sleep:sleep:

Reactions: Whoever

·
Registered
131 Posts
For the profile are you going to try the volume button reset or the factory reset or let the profile sleep:sleep:
Best left alone I feel.
I have lived without it for four months.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mines the same. Had that update this morning, and now it has lost my profile, and won’t proceed when you enter the name to make a new one. Tried deleting all data like I did at the last update (which worked that time) but did not this time. Similarly after one of my resets it claimed to have a wifi hotspot function available but that has just vanished as well. Finally, it is stuck in dark mode when you set the display to automatic. I’m also going to leave it alone to see what pans out over the next few days. UPDATE: It’s no longer stuck in dark mode but I can’t set a charging schedule which is a right pain as my cheap rate is in the middle of the night. No matter what schedule it lets me set it does not work, the vehicle just starts charging as soon as the charger is connected rather than getting the blue flashing timer light. Also still can’t create a profile. Oh well, hope it’s not long until the next update, it’s like a functionality lottery with each one.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts