Evoque Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, thanks for having me 👍
I’ve learned over many years of not working in a garage, (arthritis stopped me in my tracks) that the best place to get model specific information is the owners club!! So here’s hoping!!

My niece bought a stunning 2014 Evoque and she looks after it, bloody car wants for nothing!!
She recently took the car in for some suspension work and the “tech” happened to “find” that the head of the pinch bolt had been previously snapped off and glued back on 😳🙄😳

The garage that she took the car have quoted her £800 for parts plus labour to sort this, needless to say, I’ve been roped into sorting it out.
Does anyone have an online resource for the pinch bolts, perhaps a link where to buy online, or perhaps the proper LR name for the pinch bolt? Or what size it maybe
Oh, it’s the bolt that clamps the hub to the bottom ball joint 😜😜

Many thanks in advance, and thanks for reading my drivel 😜😜

·
Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
2,279 Posts
Welcome to the EOC.
A few pictures and spec of you nieces Evoque are always nice in an intro.
You may want to check the EPAS aluminium bolts while you are playing with the suspension.
Not sure of the part number, but you want to tighten your new bolt to 110nm :)

·
Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
2,279 Posts
Just thinking about this one Mark.
Why would someone stick the head back on such an important and easily replaceable bolt?
If the pinch bolt was effectively missing it may well have damaged the hub socket as it is an alloy structure.
…there may be troubles ahead :unsure:

·
Registered
2013 2.2 SD4 Dynamic Hatchback 5d Auto
14 Posts
Mark, Your probably going to have to pop in to a LR dealer. Take the reg number/Vin and the guys on the parts counter should be able to easily find the bolt & nut part numbers.
At least its just a replacement of the bolt. I had to change a front shock on my Wife’s Evoque…took best part of a day! In contrast to do two on my Jag took just over an hour.
Just thinking on what David has said. Why stick the head back on? My thought would be that bolt is possibly seized in place.

·
Registered
2013 2.2 SD4 Dynamic Hatchback 5d Auto
14 Posts
Don’t quote me but I think part number is LR024506 and its a M12 x 130mm Hex head.

·
Registered
Dynamic 3 door, 2013, SD4, santorini black with pimento and ebony
606 Posts
Interesting, what suspension part was she having changed and did the mechanic snap the head off?
I guess someone has tried to free a seized bolt with an impact driver and buggered it up.
How would the mechanic know the head had been glued on unless they were also removing it?
You will never know who broke it but the problem is the same and I guess you have a siezed bolt in the hub with no head which is dangerous.
The garage will probably want to replace the hub, or take the whole suspension leg off and take it to an engineering firm to sort. Be good to know what they propose, if they suggest a new hub maybe look at a second hand one. The part does not wear but a dealer will not be allowed to suggest this. Having had a similar hub seized issue on another car the workshop manager was very happy to fit my part for labour charges but said he was not allowed to suggest it.
Good luck.

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque Autobiography 2.0L DIESEL 5 DOOR / L538
365 Posts
I snapped the head off a suspension pinch bolt on my other car. I had to get a garage with an air hammer to knock the damaged bolt out. All was fine then.

Glueing the head back on a critical bolt is gross negligence in my opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts