Evoque Owners Club banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
Evoque P300e HSE R Dynamic
11 Posts
Agree with the above regarding the electric mileage, it seems to be an issue with these small battery hybrids, we have a new CLA250e, this has a similar set up to the evoque and that’s showing 25 miles nowadays as opposed to about 32 miles in warmer times.

The hybrid power train and engine refinement in the Evoque is much better than the 250e but for overall build quality and technology the Mercedes is superb and its a significantly cheaper car.

Our Evoque has been trouble free so far which seems to go against the others here and my main issue is that I feel the ride quality isn’t as good as expected and could be due to the lack of adaptive dampers or air suspension availability on this model.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
My Merc has sat for the ladt 4 weeks and not dropped any charge re mileage, like mist things I guess you need to condition your battery in relation to the style and overall distance if driving.
agree that I certainly wouldn’t have the Evoque phev at the moment-too many things still need ironing out.
They had issues with the 2.0litre models launch in 2016 (DPF) oil dilution... there ironing out consisted of blaming the customers driving style... and changing wording in brouchue small print a year or so later... then the new model 2019 I think we all expected a change in engine layout to overcome problem.... guess what ... yip there still ironing... well housekeeping as they brush things under the rug as well

·
Registered
phev hse r dynamic black 20.5
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thank you for your feedback. This is the same. But even when they drive it, it won't go into EV. Instead, that message pops up. I am sure it is just the software, but I am disappointed that the workshop has only one resolution which is starting a ticket, and then no-one responds to this ticket within 3 days.
Hi, mine is the same...varies from 400mtrs to 15km on petrol even though the light on the dash shows ev. Its back in tomorrow for three days but i have no confidence in it being fixed. If it starts out badly eventually it will get worse and let you down, normally at the worst possible time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hi Guys, my name is Lars. I am from Germany.

Our P300e should have been delivered two days ago. On delivery day, our dealer called and said that the car is not ready for delivery. The problem is that the EV mode can’t be activated. The car always starts with the combustion engine, and it stays on it. The display says, “can’t activate EV mode.”

Did anyone of you have a similar problem before? Any idea what this could be? My dealer seems to be helpless. They opened a ticket, but they think it takes quite a time to get an answer.
It appears JLR do know they have issues as they are holding evoque's back from being delivered to dealerships due to problems across the range not just the p300e.....I got that on an e mail from a salesman at the dealership...I had heard that they had stopped accepting orders for the p300e due to the problems but apparently that isn't true... but what salesman is not going to accept an order....even though they know they have problems with it...but this is only a verbal quote from a salesman, who would probably deny it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
one thing to bear in mind is the effect the weather has on the batteries. I have just handed back a phev Outlander and it was worse in the winter but it worked when it was supposed to but i decided not to get another when i heard Mitsubishi were pulling out of the UK car market in 2 years. I think they pulled out as they are now owned by Renault/Nissan so i think we will see their technology in the more popular Renault and Nissans and they will concentrate on the Asian market where they are more of a force in the marketplace. I had that for 3 years and had no issues over it not running correctly, other issues yes but not the basic running.

·
Banned
1,272 Posts
Agreed on the weather / temperature front @Sonic

However, I have a BMW i3 as part of our car collection and it’s EV range is not being impacted anywhere near as much as the Evoque battery range in the current 6-8 deg temps we’ve had here in the past week. In fact it’s not dropping range at all this week.

Like I’ve said before, how bad is the range going drop when the temp becomes sub-zero for the next couple of months...and how will owners in countries with longer and sharper cold spells cope with such dismal EV range? LR have already dropped the advertised range from 41 to 34, but reality is showing me that it should really be mid 20’s max or even less. Maybe manufacturers should list the range inline with a certain temperature banding too...this would help consumers better understand the concept of battery life vs temperature change.

For me to drop 10% battery capacity today in decent midday sunny weather and only covering 1.2miles would be a worry for any owner. Customers buy a hybrid for 365 efficiency, not just for spring and summer months.

I took it for a blast tonight, and it couldnt stop itself from firing up the engine. I know the trick is to keep the revs down to stop the engine from starting, but this thing is unpredictable. The max I could get it to run on EV was 73mph on a flat with my foot hovering above the accelerator. When it’s out of electric it then can’t decide properly how to kick-down when being driven hard for an overtake, too much hesitation / lag....plus I thought the 3 pot was going to explode as it’s was screaming like the mad witch from the wizard of Oz.

Its a such shame this pretty little tub of lard isn’t hitting the mark with me and the family.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Agreed on the weather / temperature front @Sonic

However, I have a BMW i3 as part of our car collection and it’s EV range is not being impacted anywhere near as much as the Evoque battery range in the current 6-8 deg temps we’ve had here in the past week. In fact it’s not dropping range at all this week.

Like I’ve said before, how bad is the range going drop when the temp becomes sub-zero for the next couple of months...and how will owners in countries with longer and sharper cold spells cope with such dismal EV range? LR have already dropped the advertised range from 41 to 34, but reality is showing me that it should really be mid 20’s max or even less. Maybe manufacturers should list the range inline with a certain temperature banding too...this would help consumers better understand the concept of battery life vs temperature change.

For me to drop 10% battery capacity today in decent midday sunny weather and only covering 1.2miles would be a worry for any owner. Customers buy a hybrid for 365 efficiency, not just for spring and summer months.

I took it for a blast tonight, and it couldnt stop itself from firing up the engine. I know the trick is to keep the revs down to stop the engine from starting, but this thing is unpredictable. The max I could get it to run on EV was 73mph on a flat with my foot hovering above the accelerator. When it’s out of electric it then can’t decide properly how to kick-down when being driven hard for an overtake, too much hesitation / lag....plus I thought the 3 pot was going to explode as it’s was screaming like the mad witch from the wizard of Oz.

Its a such shame this pretty little tub of lard isn’t hitting the mark with me and the family.
Unfortunately its the same for me. When i ordered the car the range was over 40 miles.....nobody at the dealers or lease company told me of the change in spec. my commute will soon be 30 miles...hence buying this one. best result for me they take it back and cancel the lease and hopefully scrap the car because anybody getting it is in for a nightmare. Will report back when they return it next week to me, if they can return it in 3 days this time....last time it was in for two days but ended up five!!!

·
Banned
1,272 Posts
Just checked the App, the Evoque is inside our heated garage, fully charged and showing a predicted range of 26miles...against the ‘advertised’ 34 miles.

Charged from completely empty btw.

Lets see what real life range is tomorrow when I take it out at midday fully pre-conditioned when it’s predicted to be 13 deg on Friday.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for your feedback. This is the same. But even when they drive it, it won't go into EV. Instead, that message pops up. I am sure it is just the software, but I am disappointed that the workshop has only one resolution which is starting a ticket, and then no-one responds to this ticket within 3 days.
Short update. Land Rover advised checking all high voltage connectors. My workshop tells me that this will take a couple of days as they need to disassemble numerous parts of the car. My fears are follow up damages. Once they remove covers they break pins and you never know why the car will rattle and make noises later on. I think I will step away from the deal and try to avoid taking over this one.

·
Banned
1,272 Posts
Something additional I‘ve noticed odd about mine which has me thinking about electrical / software issues is;

Why does the sunroof blind automatically retract on startup....but then sometimes not?
Why does the sunroof blind sometimes auto close and sometimes not?
Why does the sunroof blind always remain open?

Anyone else have this problem or could it be related to the weirdness of mine(or another hidden setting on the control panel).

Every time I drive this thing I seem to tease out another little anomaly that hopefully people on here find useful.

·
Banned
1,272 Posts
Short update. Land Rover advised checking all high voltage connectors. My workshop tells me that this will take a couple of days as they need to disassemble numerous parts of the car. My fears are follow up damages. Once they remove covers they break pins and you never know why the car will rattle and make noises later on. I think I will step away from the deal and try to avoid taking over this one.
This has me thinking, especially as BMW and Ford have recalled a large number of PHEVs recently for risk of fire due to battery issues...are JLR possibly suffering the same? Let’s face it, they all buy in the batteries from the likes of Samsung, so could we be seeing a bit of a battery pandemic? Could this relate to some owners having poor range and strange issues? Who knows? Just a thought, but maybe these new PHEV entrants into the market aren’t quite ready yet and are a result of manufacturers rushing through finished products to meet UK/EU co2 legislations in order to avoid hefty fines. 🤔

·
Registered
10 Posts
This has me thinking, especially as BMW and Ford have recalled a large number of PHEVs recently for risk of fire due to battery issues...are JLR possibly suffering the same? Let’s face it, they all buy in the batteries from the likes of Samsung, so could we be seeing a bit of a battery pandemic? Could this relate to some owners having poor range and strange issues? Who knows? Just a thought, but maybe these new PHEV entrants into the market aren’t quite ready yet and are a result of manufacturers rushing through finished products to meet UK/EU co2 legislations in order to avoid hefty fines. 🤔
They have been running a test program over the weekend. They say, that LR in England will look into it early week. However, I think I will step away of this car. Too many things happened, lost trust. Our dealer offered to cancel the contract, so most likely that is what we will do.

·
Banned
1,272 Posts
Did they show you their ‘Ctrl Alt Del’ process in case it happens again?

Reactions: Whoever

·
Registered
10 Posts
At least with a PHEV, you can pull the plug out and try again.:cool:
that's actually more difficult with the PHEV: As disconnecting the starter battery doesn't make a reset. The EV battery is always connected. So, matter in fact it is more difficult than pulling a plug and connecting it again.

·
Banned
1,272 Posts
Mine has been in for a full day today for a reboot/reset/ctrl alt del. and they gave it back to me with a flat battery...and they’re only 1.1 miles away from me. Anyhow, it’s sat out all lonely on the public highway until they collect it at the end of Jan...I’m not sure I trust this thing sat next to our other assets!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I hoped I am the only one with issues. Keep the fingers crossed that your car works well from now on!!! Merry Xmas

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
well, my car has been in since last Friday for a check over and apparently its perfect!! It was ready yesterday from 11.15 am, that was last time it was started and moved, but wasn't ready to collect as they had no chance to sanitize it. I will be receiving my guide on how to run a PHEV car which includes in cold weather starting on the petrol engine for first 300 mtrs(not sure if 9deg and 12km is the same???). Obviously i will know better next week when i collect the car and i have just ordered a headcam so that i can record it if it starts to act up again. I am still waiting on the lease company advising if they will allow me to cancel the lease but up to now i'm not optimistic. Have a solicitor looking at it now and also trading standards to see if i can get out of it as i have no faith in the car or any of these models now.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts