Evoque Owners Club banner

201 - 220 of 240 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,159 Posts
Brother in law had the infotainment updated yesterday on his Velar, but no Car Play or Android Auto. I couldn't find the software version anywhere.
It was carried out by the same dealer who updated mine.
Apart from that the software looks and is identical.
All a bit peculiar.
I told the dealer doing mine (!) I expect it to have CarPlay, appleplay, etc etc

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
That’s good to know Trapdoor. A good introduction and informative, I’m looking forward to getting mine back, hopefully next week.
Before they messed up my voice recognition I could tell my car to make or accept phone calls, not messages though, with my phone in my pocket. Do you need to plug the phone in for Siri to work messages?
CarPlay on the ICTP isn’t Bluetooth and does need the phone plugged in, but to be honest I prefer that as at least I arrive on site with a charged phone and if I’ve used it a fair bit at work, it charges going home. Only downside is I sometimes forget and leave it in the car.

Siri worked intermittently on the old firmware and it would read messages, but it is much more integrated now and the steering wheel voice button is dual function ... a quick press activates voice for the ICTP and a long press calls up Siri on the screen, and it even looks like Siri does on the phone, with the interactive waveform display. Also found it is very good at interpreting voice when replying to messages.

Reactions: Veteran

·
Registered
585 Posts
An update on my 2017 2.0 TD4 convertible that went to the dealers (Listers, Hereford) on 3rd Jan.
Got it back yesterday! Has it been fixed, i.e. does the In Control all work, NO!
Listers did the Phase 4 update and it took out the Data SIM facility, when switched on it said reading, then timed out with a strange icon where the 3G icon should be on the screen.
I was given a Discovery 5 demonstrator to use. So no dissatisfaction with Listers who have been very helpful.
It went through the 'standard' procedure, Dealer emails Land Rover Solihull and wait for a response, then act on it. If it fails they send another email and so on. When they have done this a number of times with no result they then go into Web mode, they connect the car to their diagnostic gear and LR in Solihull take control of that and do some deep investigation. If that fails to find a fix, LR send a technician to the dealer with a laptop that has ALL the tools to go deep into the car's electronics.
Mine got to this stage! The LR technician was there for 4 days until it suddenly read the data SIM card and the technician pronounced success! They tried it 3 times after that with success and then shut and locked the car for the night and the LR technician went back to Solihull!
Yesterday morning the Listers Technician unlocked the car put a data SIM in it and it worked. Time to phone me.

I go up to Hereford from home in Cardiff, to be met by the service chap who invites me to put my data SIM in. I reminded him I had left my data SIM with them!
Much hunting around the car which has had the seats out etc. to get to modules, but no sign of my SIM!
The service guy pulls a new untouched Three SIM from stores and puts it in, guess what NO result, just 'reading' and then times out! The poor technician comes out and tries, but no success. He tries his phone SIM that he tried earlier in the morning, and that does not work now!!
Total despair!
I can't keep the loan car as it is the dealers demonstrator and cannot go out of the country, insurance etc., and LR won't sanction one of their cars as my car is 'mobile'!
So, I am off to France and Spain without the SIM bit working.

It would seem that there is a box, cost £4000, which controls virtually everything in the car. All the other boxes, telemectrics etc. have been checked out and deemed OK.
LR called a halt to dealers just putting a new one of these boxes in when things stopped working as it was costing too much!
This box, if replaced has to be hooked up to the Solihull server to be programmed to the car with the information the main Solihull server has when the car is made.
This tells it what options the car should have as ordered. You can't make a HSE Dynamic into an HSE Dynamic Lux for instance!
Quite why LR don't have a 'return to base' policy for these boxes when swapped for a known repaired good one, so the faulty one can be repaired in Solihull and added to the 'repaired stock' heaven only knows!
So when a car comes into a dealer, a checked box can be sent out and fitted at minimal cost. The only downside is that the box takes 25 Gb of data to 'make it into your car'!
With a perfect fibre connection that shouldn't take too long but with everything else using the internet at the dealer, this can take all day and night!

Much agreed talk of 'compensation' by LR and dealer for my troubles, free servicing for life maybe?

How can a simple flash of new firmware kill a module? Mine isn't the only car to suffer by all accounts.
It isn't confined to LR as other manufacturers are having similar problems.
LR use HERE as their go to IT company.
Who are HERE, well it seems they are a sort of Nokia/Navteq combination from what I can find out.
The other thing I gleaned from my extended conversation with the dealers is that as cars are getting more IT based, this sort of thing is going to become more common. Mechanical troubles, like broken springs, leaking shock absorbers and the like are becoming much rarer. Mechanical integrity would appear to be good within the LR range!!

So when I return from France at the end of April, there should be a nice new/refurbished box to replace mine, and I was told Listers would come down to Cardiff to pick up my car with a curtesy car for me whilst it is being repaired, if so, that does rate as a 10 for customer care with me!

A final point, I have to say I far prefer the Evoque to the Discovery 5 HSE I had to drive. The D5 was quite frugal for a bigger heavier car. Maybe the 240 BHP twin turbo engine is just better than the 180BHP in the Evoque? I got 39 mpg on a regular motorway drive with ease. The Evoque is just a nice car to drive, I can't wait until the sun comes out and I have the hood down!

Ian

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,873 Posts
Thanks for the detailed post.
Makes you think!

I only recently came across HERE, they are getting their fingers input many things.

·
Super Moderator
9,159 Posts
I’m taking mine back to the dealer next week. 3 times it’s been in for the update still no car play. Talk of £200 to get it; NO WAY! I’ll just put the key on the counter and tell then to expect the solicitors letter, then pass wind as I walk away.

Reactions: Doogi

·
Registered
585 Posts
I gave the service manager call yesterday as I was promised an update as to how LR are going to put the data SIM right, possibly a replacement box that is reputed to cost £4000!
It seems LR are taking the problems with Phase 4 seriously as there have been a substantial number of 'problems' read screwed InControl systems in some form or another.
He said he cannot say more but inter-mated that there would be a fix in the next few days, I think that might be a bit optimistic, and that all LR dealers have been told NOT to update any firmware/software until the problems are sorted.
Too many cars are in dealers with no obvious resolution and solution.
The service manager when pressed did accept that it is getting a bit embarrassing, especially as the WiFi hook up to the phone via personal hotspot is VERY hit and miss, no doubt linked to the data SIM issue.
Mine either hooks up instantly along with the Bluetooth, other times it needs the umpteen touch presses to get to the Wifi in the car and it being turned off and then on, the hotspot disabled re-enabled on the phone and then it can see TWO 'Ian's iPhone' listed!
More often than not it takes at least 2 goes before 'Ian's iPhone' is visible and then it connects automatically.

As I'm, in France until the end of April (They know this) I wait with baited breath for that phone to say 'would you like us to come and collect your car'!!
Two months 'should' see the resolution to the problems as obviously it is getting expensive to try and fix it with LR technicians flitting all over the country with their laptops and leaving the dealership only to find that the problem hasn't been fixed reliably!

A note to Veteran: Carplay is only via USB, Apple Airplay 'should' be via Bluetooth.
From what I have gathered you need to have InControl Touch Pro for it to be installed at the moment.
Android Auto play is in the same boat by all accounts.
All those who have Windows mobile phones can pi** into the wind me thinks!

It all comes down to the manufacturer opting for the cheapest processor and the minimum amount of RAM! Sometimes an extra couple of quid can pay dividends!

Best

Ian

Reactions: Veteran and 9492

·
Registered
12,605 Posts
Hi Ian,
I am sure this has been covered by your dealer BUT, has the sim reader (Under cubby lid) been damaged or simply stopped working, are you sure the sim has been put back in correctly, I had the same no reading of sim card during my first week, turned out to be a faulty reader box- 5 minute fix, they could even take one off a showroom model and transpose-that would prove it was something else at least!

Safe trip to France and enjoy.
Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
9,159 Posts
I gave the service manager call yesterday as I was promised an update as to how LR are going to put the data SIM right, possibly a replacement box that is reputed to cost £4000!
It seems LR are taking the problems with Phase 4 seriously as there have been a substantial number of 'problems' read screwed InControl systems in some form or another.
He said he cannot say more but inter-mated that there would be a fix in the next few days, I think that might be a bit optimistic, and that all LR dealers have been told NOT to update any firmware/software until the problems are sorted.
Too many cars are in dealers with no obvious resolution and solution.
The service manager when pressed did accept that it is getting a bit embarrassing, especially as the WiFi hook up to the phone via personal hotspot is VERY hit and miss, no doubt linked to the data SIM issue.
Mine either hooks up instantly along with the Bluetooth, other times it needs the umpteen touch presses to get to the Wifi in the car and it being turned off and then on, the hotspot disabled re-enabled on the phone and then it can see TWO 'Ian's iPhone' listed!
More often than not it takes at least 2 goes before 'Ian's iPhone' is visible and then it connects automatically.

As I'm, in France until the end of April (They know this) I wait with baited breath for that phone to say 'would you like us to come and collect your car'!!
Two months 'should' see the resolution to the problems as obviously it is getting expensive to try and fix it with LR technicians flitting all over the country with their laptops and leaving the dealership only to find that the problem hasn't been fixed reliably!

A note to Veteran: Carplay is only via USB, Apple Airplay 'should' be via Bluetooth.
From what I have gathered you need to have InControl Touch Pro for it to be installed at the moment.
Android Auto play is in the same boat by all accounts.
All those who have Windows mobile phones can pi** into the wind me thinks!

It all comes down to the manufacturer opting for the cheapest processor and the minimum amount of RAM! Sometimes an extra couple of quid can pay dividends!

Best

Ian
I have an iPhone 7+ plugged in through the USB & a data card plugged in to the car. I also have Incontrol Touch Pro, or should have! I select CarPlay on the phone from serpttings and press the voice button on the steering wheel...nothing, they don’t talk to each other. Thanks for the advice though, I’ve had JLR C/S manager on the case since November!!

·
Registered
12,605 Posts
Veteran, if you connect your phone via the bluetooth or via the power /cigar lighter to charge-you will find all your steering wheel buttons work-when I plug mine into the USB miy steering wheel buttons don't work either for voice calls etc
however they work to accept or end a call- generally I just use the power/cigar lead unless I specifically want carplay for finer mapping . the background layout should be better/same either way and destination search should be much quicker than before upgrade, I know that searching and typing individual digits took ages, now its very quick.
does this help you Sir.

Reactions: Veteran

·
Super Moderator
9,159 Posts
Thanks Maffy. I’ve tried plugged in through USB and not (in my pocket). Next stage is passenger window at 95mph, after opening aforementioned aperture.

Reactions: Maffy

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Find it all a bit odd as my CarPlay just works. No SIM issues (other than my 12 month SIM just ran out and I’d forgotten to put my new one in) and certainly no issues using the steering wheel buttons when it’s plugged in. Acatually I had an isolated weirdie where my phone claimed it was connected to CarPlay but the car wouldn’t launch the screen. Only happened once and worked OK the next time I used the car.

I still maintain the issues with this are down to the fact that JLR won’t update car firmware routinely, so they have all sorts of mix and mash of different versions across the same models. And I’m not convinced the coders and testers (wherever in some part of the third world they are) are that fastidious about coding for all scenarios. I had issues with the first install of Phase 4 which screwed up my climate/massage seats which was fixed in the subsequent ‘CarPlay edition’.

·
Registered
MY 18, 2..0 Diesel Ingenium Auto; Firenze Red
140 Posts
Vet, I'm in the same boat as you. I have had a Phase 4 update, but no carplay. It's just not there to be selected. I'm due an interim Oil service (again) in a few weeks & have requested another software update. I believe trapdoor is on the money - there are many build versions and as its' a dealer process to install it, all cars are at different levels.

Regards
Richard

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
My car went in yesterday, cited all the issues related to phase 4, told them about fan issue, requested oil dilution check and ad blue top up. They did a temporary fix on the known fan problem and are waiting for supplies of the part that fixes it (apparently they have a few customers in same boat), they did not do phase 4 as they know of problems with it and are in touch with JLR over it and it will be done when “proper” fix is in place, don’t know yet the outcome of the oil dilution check but they did top up the ad blue and washed the car. My wife could not praise them highly enough for their customer service and attitude. So a big thumbs up for Duckworths of Market Rasen from her, I’ll keep my thumbs in my pockets for now until I see the final outcome on the outstanding issues and how they are resolved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had my 2017 Evoque, from new, since September 2017.

Ordered an SE Tech but managed to convince my company car guy to let me add on the InControl Touch Pro and the Meridian sound system (although could not add the apps).

Have had issues with the system from day one. The USB Drive will work fine and then suddenly stop (using various sizes and styles of USB all formatted to FAT32).

Had an old iPod that didn't show any artwork so replaced it with a new iPod touch. That has been terrible since day one. Artwork is inconsistent (usually the track that had just finished playing rather than the one that was on), stops randomly after about 2 tracks played through an album, can't select tracks via the screen - have to do it on the iPod and, my personal favourite, if you move your seat electrically it disconnects the iPod which then has to be unplugged, replugged.

Taken the car in around 6 or 7 times to resolve this and was told, earlier in the month, that it was all sorted as there was a phase 4 roll out and that 18d would solve all issues AND add Apple Carplay / Android Auto - imagine my relief!!

I also had a recurring issue where the rear window on the drivers side falls out of place and won't go back up if you open it fully so had them look at that and the 18d update.

Got it back last week, all complete they said. No Carplay or Android Auto (my car is too old / hardware not compatible), iPod still disconnects/won't play through the system - has to be through the iPod, still random stopping after two tracks but on top of this the display behind the track that's playing is now a poor aspect ratio stretched version of the artwork rather than the stylized blurred image that used to be there, my voice navigation doesn't work at all and I can't connect my phones (tried an Apple and a Samsung one) via Bluetooth. Oh, and the window is still broken.

They've at least put me in an HSE Discovery with all the bells and whistles whilst they look at it and it's been flagged to Land Rover Technical Assistance - a new ECU likely?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I've had my 2017 Evoque, from new, since September 2017.

Ordered an SE Tech but managed to convince my company car guy to let me add on the InControl Touch Pro and the Meridian sound system (although could not add the apps).

Have had issues with the system from day one. The USB Drive will work fine and then suddenly stop (using various sizes and styles of USB all formatted to FAT32).

Had an old iPod that didn't show any artwork so replaced it with a new iPod touch. That has been terrible since day one. Artwork is inconsistent (usually the track that had just finished playing rather than the one that was on), stops randomly after about 2 tracks played through an album, can't select tracks via the screen - have to do it on the iPod and, my personal favourite, if you move your seat electrically it disconnects the iPod which then has to be unplugged, replugged.

Taken the car in around 6 or 7 times to resolve this and was told, earlier in the month, that it was all sorted as there was a phase 4 roll out and that 18d would solve all issues AND add Apple Carplay / Android Auto - imagine my relief!!

I also had a recurring issue where the rear window on the drivers side falls out of place and won't go back up if you open it fully so had them look at that and the 18d update.

Got it back last week, all complete they said. No Carplay or Android Auto (my car is too old / hardware not compatible), iPod still disconnects/won't play through the system - has to be through the iPod, still random stopping after two tracks but on top of this the display behind the track that's playing is now a poor aspect ratio stretched version of the artwork rather than the stylized blurred image that used to be there, my voice navigation doesn't work at all and I can't connect my phones (tried an Apple and a Samsung one) via Bluetooth. Oh, and the window is still broken.

They've at least put me in an HSE Discovery with all the bells and whistles whilst they look at it and it's been flagged to Land Rover Technical Assistance - a new ECU likely?
Sounds like you have the same problems as Veteran ( well maybe not on second thoughts) It amazes me that JLR get away with these issues without compensating customers , if you've had a car a year plus and they can't fix it properly your not getting your monies worth, if you took it in to trade in there depreciation value drops accordingly so why can't it work both ways ? If I leased one then I wouldn't pay full price if it's not working correctly !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like you have the same problems as Veteran ( well maybe not on second thoughts) It amazes me that JLR get away with these issues without compensating customers , if you've had a car a year plus and they can't fix it properly your not getting your monies worth, if you took it in to trade in there depreciation value drops accordingly so why can't it work both ways ? If I leased one then I wouldn't pay full price if it's not working correctly !

So they've still got it and apparently are no closer to fixing it...

·
Registered
206 Posts
It took them 3 goes with various media problems before they admitted that my system was fixed and up to date, "We have put carplay on it aswell"..... so is the dealers choice?

On our "second edition evoque" invite, we looked at the screen options and were advised all had "like Velar, phase 4", and In the models with the tilt screen (advised full 1080) I swiped and carplay and android was there.

Not sure if your phone still has to be wired or not?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hi Ian,
I am sure this has been covered by your dealer BUT, has the sim reader (Under cubby lid) been damaged or simply stopped working, are you sure the sim has been put back in correctly, I had the same no reading of sim card during my first week, turned out to be a faulty reader box- 5 minute fix, they could even take one off a showroom model and transpose-that would prove it was something else at least!

Safe trip to France and enjoy.
Cheers.
Hi Maffy

I've been without internet for a few days down at the F1 tests! Too many people wanting the 3 and 4G!

Yes the SIM module was tested by the LR Technician who came from Solihull to sort the car. The only 'module' left that couldn't be tested is the main one and as said LR have put a stop on those being swapped as it was costing them a fortune!

I'm waiting to hear back from my service manager as to when the new 'corrected' software has been released!
The trouble for LR is wasn't just one issue or firmware manufacture, so has been a case of fire chasing to understand where the 'actual' problem lies.
I slightly agree with Trapdoor in that the software coding is outsourced, but I am not sure it is a million miles from the UK and or Germany. From the hints given to me it isn't Far East sourced.

I have a separate issue in that when you change the digital speedo to Kph the Sat Nav 'should' follow suit or so I am led to believe, mine doesn't! i.e the route you planned 'should' go from miles to destination to kilometres to destination and the speed warning roundels should go to the prevailing KPH speed. i.e. 50 mph goes to 80 kph.
As I said mine doesn't and it is really off-putting to drive to 80kph on the digital speedo only to see 50 in the roundel!
No-one in the dealership knows why of if this is a 'fault'.
The have tried Land Rover, but there seems to be very little knowledge there!
The Discovery Sport is a different system and no help looking at that set up!
Has anybody here, either been to Europe and managed to get their In Control Touch Pro sat nav to show kms both for distance to location and the speed limit on any road they are driving on in kph, as I'd love to know.
Best
Ian

·
Registered
P300e
195 Posts
I admit to not reading through this whole thread completely, but from what I can gather, JLR must have 5 year-olds running the record keeping in the software development department? It is blindingly obvious, that there is a complete mishmash of both software and firmware (and maybe hardware) that is incompatible.

What a nightmare, I wonder if the software development manger is ex-Siemens?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Funny you should wonder whether he/she was Siemens, the same thought went through my mind!

Ian

201 - 220 of 240 Posts