1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
LR Evoque SE Tech TD4 2018
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Members
looking for your thoughts / previous experience on front sensors
As you can see from the picture they are peeling off so I visited Land Rover and their warranty department has advised...
'this has been caused by impact and not under manufactures warranty' and suggested replacement at circa £350+vat each
Now my questions are two fold
1. If stone chips why is the rest of that area and indeed the car un-marked are stones only attracted to this part?
2. If going to be fitted low down should they not be protected from stone chips (if that is true)

I look forward to members thoughts
Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,945 Posts
It's worth updating your forum profile/signature with your Evoque year and spec so people can easily see what you have :)

This has come up a few times. Jet/power washing could also be a cause.

Some people have successfully used indelible pens and PowerfulUK now sell vinyl stickers to restore things.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the advice
would you agree then it is not under warranty

·
Super Moderator
9,277 Posts
I’d disagree. I had paint flake off my bumper that was covered by warranty, no argument & no mention of stones causing it. I’d go back and ask them to show me any area on the bumper where they’ve been damaged by stones

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,945 Posts
thank you for the advice
would you agree then it is not under warranty
I couldn't see what year vehicle you had before, so thanks for updating your profile :)

LR have already said "no", but it wouldn't hurt to try again as Veteran says.

Do you know if the vehicle is ever pressure washed?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your message
I said exactly that to them but he said our technical warranty manager has looked at my picture (previously visited the garage and they dismissed without even taking a photo) and he decided that the cover would only be considered if the fault was from the inside out.
I asked if I can pay a third party to issue a verdict (at my cost) and was informed the decision was final !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I couldn't see what year vehicle you had before, so thanks for updating your profile :)

LR have already said "no", but it wouldn't hurt to try again as Veteran says.

Do you know if the vehicle is ever pressure washed?
only very occasionally when weather is poor

·
Registered
R-Dynamic SE Firenze Red/Pan Roof/Black Pack
242 Posts
Sorry but I would colour it in with a marker pen and not worry,life is too short!

·
Registered
2017 HSE Dynamic Lux in Aintree Green, Surround and Park Assist, Heated Wheel
333 Posts
I have this on one of my side sensors at the front.
I plan to just take it out and give it a light brush/sand to remove the crusty aluminium and then either give a light paint or get the Sharpies out and colour it in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Personally I don't think the surface of the area is suitable for paint as it flakes off easily, maybe not prepared/sanded before paint with correct undercoat/too smooth. Lots are like this mine included. Get a touch up pen and a good brush. Probably come off again. Seems to me LR are a bit crap at warranty work. I wouldnt expect an 18 car to have flaking paint!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The reason it peels off is that its painted onto aluminium poorly, once water gets behind the paint it lifts the paint off and the ally goes like limescale
Thank you .. StevesCleenz .. for your message
Thats why it is bubbling underneath - is there anything you can suggest I do?
LR have totally dismissed it and said it is impact damage - It also effects the sensor as some times it has sounds when I am stopped and no one near me

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry but I would colour it in with a marker pen and not worry,life is too short!
If it was that simple of course I would do that ... I am concerned about sensor not working correctly rather than than sight of the peeling paint
I was told by LR not to touch up or paint it as it would effect the sensor and it would be worse so this is my dilemma

1 - 13 of 13 Posts