Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just used park assist in Loughborough but it failed miserably and I have ended up with a scuffed alloy and a ding to the rear.

All was well. I found a good sized space that I would normally navigate into manually with ease. I drove by the space, pressed park assist and it asked me to drive forward slightly. It then took over and proceeded to bump into the kerb then nudge the car behind. There was no real damage to the car behind but I left a note anyway just in case.

Gutted. I love technology when it works. Booked into LR tomorrow for them to review what has happened and assess the damage.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Unlucky! I have this option but have not take delivery yet of my Evoque. I will let you know what damage I cause (or hopefully not) when I get my car and test it out!!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Sorry to hear to your news

Park Assist sounds great in theory but I must admit I couldn't trust it in my opinion. If the space is too small for me to park it safely I certainly wouldn't risk using park assist which I guess defeats the purpose of it. Therefore I would not spec this option.

Hope you get it fixed and back to normal soon

R

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Oh no bad luck....an option I never wanted. Don't need a chunk of metal showing me how to park when I can do a better job myself
Edited by: Evogirl

·
Registered
17 Posts
cheekyRR said:
Just used park assist in Loughborough but it failed miserably and I have ended up with a scuffed alloy and a ding to the rear.

All was well. I found a good sized space that I would normally navigate into manually with ease. I drove by the space, pressed park assist and it asked me to drive forward slightly. It then took over and proceeded to bump into the kerb then nudge the car behind. There was no real damage to the car behind but I left a note anyway just in case.

Gutted. I love technology when it works. Booked into LR tomorrow for them to review what has happened and assess the damage.
I realise that nudging the curb isn't right (I think the book says there should be an acceptable distinction between the curb and road surface or the sensors can miss them) but isn't it the drivers job to brake before hitting a vehicle?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Your experience sounds like everything that worries me about park assist. It will be installed on my car because it is part of a package that the dealer always puts on, but can't say that I anticipate using it much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Park assist wont brake for you, you need to monitor the rear and front and brake when you would normally. If you hit the rear then it's not the car that failed I'm afraid! As we say in IT, "User error".

·
Registered
833 Posts
True Jerry. But isn't there supposed to be a message on the driver screen telling him to brake. Never tried it, but I had also assumed the normal high pitched bleeping would sound indicating something getting close to the car. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

Perhaps the curb was too low to register? That would account for scuffing it I suppose.

I think my own view is that if I am worried enough to monitor it so closely because I don't really trust it ( perhaps some paranoia there) then I might as well do it all myself and that way only three people are to blame for any dings, me, myself and i.

If I really was incapable of parallel parking, then maybe the system would be a god send. Or maybe if I injured my back and couldn't twist in the seat, or something like that. Fortunately, at the moment it isn't something I'd use for anything other than a demonstration of a high tech option.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Park assist is NOT supposed to drive you into a car fore or aft. If you have to brake to stop it it's not working. You should take it in for repair.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Page 102 of the owners manual says that the system will display a message on the screen telling the driver to apply the brake. I don't think the system brakes for you, just as it doesn't apply acceleration.

Hard to say from the OP whether the warning message to brake appeared or not. Same with scuffing the curb. Maybe CheekyRR can confirm what messages were shown on the screen, although I think discussions with his dealer will resolve more than we can on the forum.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
User error Jerry???? Clearly you have no idea how this system is supposed to work and your crass comments are not wanted thank you..!! Go and spoil someone else's post as I am trying to give other people the benefit of my experience without your unwanted troll-like comments..!!

I was covering the brake as the vehicle was supposed to advise when to brake. It manoeuvred so quickly into the space and before I had chance to brake it had already hit the kerb and nudged the vehicle behind. No braking warnings were received.

I wrongly relied in the technology. The dealer believes that the sensors don't always "see" the kerb but instead looks to put you equidistant between the 2 surrounding vehicles and if one is parked very close to a kerb it tries to get you as close as it can. Clearly it failed.

The dealership are carrying out the repairs free of charge so that must say something about what had happened.

·
10,626 Posts
Well that looks like a result, cheekyRR.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Result...pleased the dealership have recognised a problem mate.Edited by: Evogirl

·
Registered
833 Posts
A definite system fault then. Or should I say "feature". Good to know that the car tries to park in a horizontal line with the fore and aft cars. No mention of that in the handbook. I guess it means the height of the curb is not so important if its the cars that being used to judge proximity to the curb.

I still don't think I'll be using the system much and although my wife is not a confident parallel Parker, I'm not sure that she wouldn't find using the system an even bigger worry than doing it herself. Or perhaps it takes a bit of getting used too.

Great news from your dealer though CheekyRR, he could so easily have tried to fob you off.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Have to say we use this all the time and have no issues with it what so ever......makes me think it was an issue with your system and great result getting the garage to fix it FOC

·
Registered
48 Posts
I use it all the time with no problems whatsoever. My tip would be no to cover the brake but to apply the brake to control speed. With the speed controlled it allows me to monitor around the vehicle and stop safely if something went wrong.

Once when parking between an artic truck and car it tried to go under the trailer of the truck! It was easily averted as I was aware and traveling very slowly.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have heard many stories of these systems parking in line with the ones in front and behind even if they are parked half on the kerb.
The potential trouble I see with this is that the angle of approach might not be ideal, and the other cars might have used a slope/drop kerb to get there.

Either way, sorry to hear about your experience CheekyRR.

·
Registered
2013 SD4 Dynamic Lux
44 Posts
Does park assist work on manuals - I have a manual dynamic lux with the feature (not tried it yet), but the instructional videos just show autos? Thank you

·
Registered
MY2017 2.0 HSE Dynamic Lux
316 Posts
Does park assist work on manuals - I have a manual dynamic lux with the feature (not tried it yet), but the instructional videos just show autos? Thank you
Pretty sure It's possible even with manual transmission. You just have to feather the clutch

Tried it once just for the novelty value but I don't use it and Mrs R is petrified of it - voodoo! o_O

1 - 20 of 27 Posts