Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 974 Posts

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the way this virus is spreading im beginning to think it might be a bit more too it than first imagined ... apart from shutting borders there’s no real way to contain it ... other half went onto screwfix too order dust masks for work tonight ... there’s none everywhere short of stock ... there’s even a notice about it on screwfix website ... fortunately I can get a box from work ?
See stocks are dropping .... golds going up ... don’t think it will be long before classes as a pandemic.... might retreat to Arran for a few months if it gets bad ??? bit of fishing ,shooting, mussels and van full of food and have a 6 month holiday , might throw a few crates of wine in too live off the land .... doomed we’re all doomed.... hopefully when I come back the price of cars will have dropped ?

What’s everyone’s thoughts .... to be honest I wouldn’t be getting on a plane right now!

Reactions: Doogi and Veteran

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
There certainly is more than meets the eye on this one.
We have sold out of every mask available, we have one client getting another 420 later this week but then no idea when they are due in.
I do know that before the figures were officially announced here there were cases being "assessed" lets say.
This has the potential to go really big, however there is also a great deal of scaremongering involved, media led-as is their want-its sells papers and sensationalism is great news!

The majority of people will be absolutley fine, however as with proper Flu, certain groups are more at risk than others.
general precautions are the order of the day-wash your hands regualarly, use hand sanitizer, masks generally are not a great deal of use-but act more as a placebo.
keep hydrated and dont drink Buckfast whilst sharing a bottle (yes you Donna)

Arran sounds nice, but as you have seen, this virus does not recognise borders or boundaries. so just beware.

Reactions: Donna

·
Registered
198 Posts
Had planned to do a fly-ride to Austria to do a bit of motorcycling in the Alps in a few months time - that's on hold for now. Not looking forward to all the "emmets" invading Cornwall this holiday season bringing the plague down with them either.:(
According to some sources the masks are effective if those infected wear them to prevent passing on the virus but not much use for the uninfected in providing protection.

Reactions: Donna

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There’s a ferry onto island that’s it . The locals would stop it docking under my command armed with shotguns .... it has its own dairy , cheese factory , loads of livestock , a salmon farm, a bakery, a distillery, and brews it’s own beer ... think of worse places to self contain .... ???

Reactions: Col_C

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
Exacvtly re the masks, but who knows who has it! the plain paper masks initially block moisture droplets which settle and soak into the surface-you then dry those droplets simply by breathing you then inject the virus.

the best mask to use (if you can find them) are the FFp3 Mask, this supercedes the old N95 mask-advised during the sars/mers outbreak, are more comfortable and have better filters.
We are expecting some stocks but not sure when

problem is the majority of PPE is made in China!! so not much if any heading out into the world.

Our supplier of FFp3 masks makes them in both the US and plants in Europe-demand is fast outstripping supply.
I have them here for Mr M and myslef and I Can get a few more-but getting more difficult.

Also have gallons of hand sanitizer in 50ml hand Tottles that should be arriving this week and is effective against Corona Virus amongst other nasties.
Try and avoid Alcohol based hand santizers, they tend to dry your hands, lead to dernatitis and hurt like heck if you have any little cuts.-the alcohol is purely there to evaporate-nothing scientific.

In all honesty, probably the right place to be right now would be Wuhan!

·
Registered
Evoque MY20 First Edition in Seoul Pearl Silver
1,769 Posts
Pandemic is a term that incites worry and panic, it just means it's word-wide.
People should just get on with living life, It's a virus, hardly a deadly virus, just a virus like the flu, unpleasant for most that get it but can be more serious for those more vulnerable.
It seems a bit ridiculous to be putting folk in strict quarantine for a suspicion of 'maybe' being in contact with another 'maybe' carrier, just let it do it's thing, the majority infected might feel mild symptoms for a few days and then, I presume, will be immune.
If it was a seriously life threatening situation, then maybe this kind of reaction is justified, but what's the point of so much disruption for something that will be looked back on as a massive over-reaction.
That's my viewpoint, don't forget to sterilise your keyboard after responding!!!
(70% alcohol based hand sanitisers are better than any higher %).

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
Generally the whole thing is sensational-media led-scaremongerinFlu is the real kioller as stated but hey as the pet shop boys sang
"Lets make lots of money"
go with it. peeps.

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don’t know what masks we get in hospital but I’ve two boxes in my store room , and plenty of hand gel , and alcohol wipes ... brings up the upvc windows lovely ?
Well let’s just hope it’s all scaremongering then it just seems to me to be spreading at a rate of knots , didn’t think it would of gone so widespread so quickly!

Reactions: Maffy

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
The sooner it spreads, the sooner it's all over with.

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It’s not sex it’s a virus ????

Reactions: Bazz and Maffy

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Doesn't one lead to the other? :unsure:

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
????

·
Registered
150 Posts
This is a link to a really good clickable world map with data showing actual facts on a day by day basis if anyone is interested:
Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS

EG

Reactions: Slingshot2002

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
(y)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
But you have to note that this only shows the cases known about or reported, there will be many others either not known or not reported by choice, either way, it's coming, expect it & don't panic.

·
Registered
2015 Dynamic Lux 2.2Sd4
2,799 Posts
I have had a stinking cold this week, I don't think it was Corona Virus I think it was Tizer flu. :unsure: ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,511 Posts
I was driving down the M40 Saturday and going the other way, noticed police bikes blocking the motorway slip roads, empty motorway, then a line of police cars... then 5 coaches then more police bikes... then realised this was the cruise ship quarantine lot heading for Liverpool

Jesus what a polava!

They might as well ban all international travel and be done with it, if they want to stop it spreading round the world.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
12,265 Posts
There are over 1000 locked in the hotel in Tenerife and it won't be like an extended holiday for them. Not allowed out of their rooms for the next 14 days. Police wearing masks everywhere blocking off all the surrounding streets.

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not much good blocking off the streets if he has been out and about should of closed the airport ???

Reactions: Bazz
1 - 20 of 974 Posts