Evoque Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
MY13 2.2 SD4 Diynamic AWD 5dr
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do like the calipers painted on cars. On my last car, a Mercedes E Coupe, I paid 拢500 to get them done. They looked lovely. But I thought at the time, I could have done that and saved a few quid. So this afternoon I decided to nip down town and gets some materials and give it shot.

Halfords sell brake paint in a few colours for 拢10.99. I bought 2 cans of red ... or at least I thought I did (what a plum). As shown below, I got a red and a blue 馃 Anyway, as it turned out, it only takes half a can to do the car. I also needed brake cleaner to get the gack off, along with a good wire brush and coarse emery pad - to clean the calipers before paint. The

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is the state of my calipers before I started. Not good, not bad. It took under 10 minutes to prep is one.

First use the wire brush and remove as much gack as possible. Then use the wire pad to get into the trickier bits. Finally, give it a blast with the brake cleaner. It will evaporate in seconds, leaving a very clean caliper.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The paint goes directly on to the caliper. No primer is required. But it does take three coats (at least it did for me). I had to leave it about 30 minutes between each coat. Make sure you mask off any brake hoses. There are a couple of seals that you can just roll back so to avoid paint.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One side took about 3 hours to do, this was mainly due to letting the paint cure between coats. If you take off both wheels on one side, then you paint one whilst the other is curing.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used a 1" decorators brush for the big bits, and a 10mm artist brush (a quid from the Range) for the small bits. Below is the rear caliper, which was a little easier as it is smaller with less detail.

Registered
2014, Dynamic, Firenze Red, Black Pack
Looks cracking m8, I see the new sporty evoque comes with painted calipers and looks cracking through the black whe

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, that's definitely the look I'm going for 馃憤 But I'm probably undercutting JLR's price a tad 馃槀

Registered
You just need some Range Rover Calliper stickers like the ones I bought, when I bought the paint, about 18 months ago 馃槺
I did see the paint the other day when I was sorting a couple of shelves in the garage, no idea where the stickers have gone.
I did actually consider doing them tomorrow morning, but then noticed we have rain forecast 馃う鈥嶁檪锔

Further excuses will follow when I鈥檝e thought of them 馃榿

Registered
Dynamic 3 door, 2013, SD4, santorini black with pimento and ebony
Looks nice, very near job 馃憤馃徎馃憤馃徎

Reactions: slaine

Super Moderator
Look nice 馃憤.

Reactions: slaine

Registered
2021 P300e R-Dynamic HSE, Eiger grey, black pack, black alloys, sliding pano roof, red calipers, etc
They do look very good, job well done. I'm happy mine were done at the factory though...wouldn't really want to be brush painting the brake calipers on a 拢50,000+ car.

Super Moderator
Mine came already painted too. My local garage painted the ones on my Evoque silver & didn鈥檛 charge me but I gave him 拢20. I often drop off some cakes & biscuits in there for them, they look after my wife & sons cars 馃槈

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wouldn't really want to be brush painting the brake calipers on a 拢50,000+ car
If mine was worth that, I would have had it done professionally too. But seeing that mine is 8 years old, and I've done everything else myself ... I thought "why not" 馃槈

Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
Great job Slaine.
I did wonder if you were going for rose gold calipers to match the accents on your wheels?

Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
Oh and I just noticed your footer.
Most excellent play on words !!

Diynamic 馃槀馃槀馃ぃ馃ぃ

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great job Slaine.
I did wonder if you were going for rose gold calipers to match the accents on your wheels?
Thanks, I am really pleased with the result. I did consider rose gold, but I when I mocked up a photo with that colour, it didn't give me the look that I was after. Hence I opted for red.
I used the Evoque Styler web site to quickly visualise it ...

Oh and I just noticed your footer.
Most excellent play on words !!
Diynamic 馃槀馃槀馃ぃ馃ぃ
Yes, It thought it was quite fitting 馃槅馃憤

1 - 20 of 31 Posts