Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
MY20 P300e PHEV | Yulong White | R-Dynamic SE | Panoramic Roof | Clearsight | Driver Assist Pack
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Does anyone have any idea why the L551 P300e only comes fitted with Terrian Response and NOT Terrain Response 2 like the non electric models?

Can this be because the P300e isn’t fitted with a central driveshaft?

I feel like I’m missing out of the ‘auto’ option...not that it matters too much, but it would be nice to know the technical reason behind this difference.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
1,902 Posts
It looks like the main/only difference is TR2 is automatic:

From a LR website:
"While the Terrain Response system requires you to select the setting that meets your needs and corresponds with the existing conditions; the Terrain Response 2 system does it for you. You don’t have to dial in any settings, you don’t need to turn any knobs, and you don’t need to think about how the conditions are changing. That’s the advantage of the Terrain Response 2 system."

So having a mechanical driveshaft doesn't look like it would change things.

Reactions: ukcommander

·
Registered
MY20 P300e PHEV | Yulong White | R-Dynamic SE | Panoramic Roof | Clearsight | Driver Assist Pack
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ATPC - All Terrain Progress Control is missing from the P300e too (not that I’d typically use it tbh), but nice to know why.

The reason must be something to do with the rear drive being electric and the front drive being ICE 🤔

·
Registered
Spock - MY20 D180 Evoque R-Dynamic SE Santorini Black Pimp-Wagon!
112 Posts
It's also missing Adaptive Dynamics which is a bit of a deal breaker for us. I can't really fathom why as isn't that just magnetorheological dampers and a little bit of electronics? :unsure:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's also missing Adaptive Dynamics which is a bit of a deal breaker for us. I can't really fathom why as isn't that just magnetorheological dampers and a little bit of electronics? :unsure:
Yeah, the lacking of Adaptive Dampers was a bit of disappointment for me on the P300e, but as I won’t spend much time on pothole A or B roads I doubt it will be too much of an issue. We have AD on all our other cars and tbh the gain is only slightly marginal over passive suspension in some of them. As the chassis is steel, stronger and more rigid in the L551, then the chassis will flex less and mitigate some of the need for AD. BMW’s flex so much that AD is needed to make them drivable 😂

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems like the RR Sport P400e is missing the same bits described above in this post as the Evoque P300e!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Without knowing it, we test drove an Evoque with AD and then one without. The second one was like a boat and drove similar to a an old 80's Cadillac... Awful! :eek: So I worked out the difference was Adaptive Dynamics as I hadn't heard of it before that (in JLR speak) and it became Option number one!

I don't know how the P300e will be without it as it may have different suspension but it has even more weight so I'm thinking Barge! :D

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My view is it won’t wallow as much as both of my Jeep Hemi’s, which were the most competent off-road 4x4’s I’ve ever owned...and I loved their battleship lean-over!

To be honest, I don’t see why RR put adaptive into the Evoque as the system is more suited to cars with a sport setup (and that’s just not the style of E551). Air or magnetic suspension would better be suited to the L551 as it’s not setup in its design to be a sports SUV.

If it’s ride/wallow is as bad as you say it is @CaptainNick it will be going back and being replaced with a P400e within the week!

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have adaptive dynamics on mine and with the car in "Normal" mode it's very good.
No wallowing or such like.
Putting it in Dynamic reduces body roll to a minimum but doesn't spoil the ride.
I'd disagree about it not being a sports suv especially in P250 or P300 guise.
The P300 will top out at 150mph and cover 0-60 in about 6.5 seconds.
I had two V6 XE's prior to mine one a 340Ps and the later a 380ps.
With the engine running and using the slug of extra torque from the mild hybrid system it would have done both of the Jags off the line to about 40 mph.
Very quick car.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks @PhilB for clarifying the Adaptive vs Normal...that’s a big help knowing that.

I suppose what I’m saying, it’s not a Sports SUV in the true terms of tyres and lowered suspension, that’s why a went for the Evoque as I’ve had a MSport X3 where the ride was too low, too hard and the tyres too low/wide for it to be a good motorway chugger or a capable off road ride. I get the power bit, that’s why I opted for the P300e and all the reviews do say it’s more gentle on the ride than the typical sports SUV.

·
Registered
823 Posts
The thing to remember is that if adaptive dynamics are fitted then they are working all the time even in normal modes.
I think the Evoque has very good suspension without it so I doubt you will find it rocking and rolling.
:)
The big standout for me was when I got my first one at the beginning of 2012.
I was advised to go for the magnetic dampers which we know as adaptive and the big surprise was a near two-tonne SUV that would corner flat - a weird experience to start with!
I remember having a Freelander 2 for a day during a service and getting back into the Evoque afterwards was like getting into a sports car in comparison.
I would see if you can get a test drive with even a non-hybrid just to explore the suspension and ride.
Quite an eye opener.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Also the P300e has a different layout because of the motor drive to the rear wheels so I'm guessing that the suspension struts are different hence why you can't get AD on it. I can't see why they would have left that option off if it was possible as it has more power and weight than the normal Evoque. Due to this I'm hoping that they developed the standard suspension to a unique rate to suit the car so hopefully won't be as bad as the normal Evoque.

Interestingly, although the normal Evoque with AD drives well in Comfort mode as standard, I have found through experimentation that I get better MPG both on the dash readout and when calculating from fill ups when using Dynamic mode! Odd, but I spotted it straight away on the dash and I think it's because the throttle becomes more responsive so the vehicle reacts quicker and you can ease off the throttle sooner. :unsure: However, the Evoque always defaults to Comfort mode so is there any way to set Dynamic as default?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also the P300e has a different layout because of the motor drive to the rear wheels so I'm guessing that the suspension struts are different hence why you can't get AD on it. I can't see why they would have left that option off if it was possible as it has more power and weight than the normal Evoque. Due to this I'm hoping that they developed the standard suspension to a unique rate to suit the car so hopefully won't be as bad as the normal Evoque.

Interestingly, although the normal Evoque with AD drives well in Comfort mode as standard, I have found through experimentation that I get better MPG both on the dash readout and when calculating from fill ups when using Dynamic mode! Odd, but I spotted it straight away on the dash and I think it's because the throttle becomes more responsive so the vehicle reacts quicker and you can ease off the throttle sooner. :unsure: However, the Evoque always defaults to Comfort mode so is there any way to set Dynamic as default?
@CaptainNick, that’s a very interesting point about better MPG. I got the same result in my X3 and assumed it’s was due to better smoother throttle response. Also, same in all our BMW’s, they all default to comfort mode and their isn’t a way to change the default setting 😡

I was also thinking whether the passive suspension on the P300e will differ slightly, I cant find reason why they would leave it off as AD systems are quite simplistic these days compared to the £3-4K options that were rolled out c. 10yrs ago. Oh well, let’s wait and see. I’ll write up an ‘owners review’ of it when it arrives and if I need to carry a sick bag around during this review, then we’ll all know the ride is shyte 😂👍...saying that...I do like a bit of ‘rock n roll’ in my ride to be honest.🙃

Reactions: CaptainNick

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
11,967 Posts
Without the Dynamic option my mpg was better if I drove in Sport mode. By about 2 or 3 mpg.

Reactions: CaptainNick

·
Registered
112 Posts
It is interesting though, with all the focus on economy nowadays, you'd think JLR and others would want you to be in the mode which returns the best MPG as standard... Eco mode my arse! :poop: Initially we were quite disappointed with the economy in the D180 as we got 32-34 MPG using Comfort mode. For a while now we've been using Dynamic and our last tank gave us 41.5 MPG which is much more like I was expecting. Quite a difference although with lockdown the driving routes have changed so can't say exactly how much down to Dynamic.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
1,902 Posts
It is interesting though, with all the focus on economy nowadays, you'd think JLR and others would want you to be in the mode which returns the best MPG as standard... Eco mode my arse! :poop: Initially we were quite disappointed with the economy in the D180 as we got 32-34 MPG using Comfort mode. For a while now we've been using Dynamic and our last tank gave us 41.5 MPG which is much more like I was expecting. Quite a difference although with lockdown the driving routes have changed so can't say exactly how much down to Dynamic.
Could be improving overall as the mileage increases?

·
Registered
112 Posts
It was ex-demo though so well run-in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts