Evoque Owners Club banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
MY21 P300e
53 Posts
Today I drove a trip of about 40km. Because I don't drive much at the moment and have more or less only driven electric sofar I thought it's good to have the petrol engine run-in a bit. So I put it into sports mode and turned save mode on. On this short journey over b-roads it added 10km to the battery range. Can't imagine it only came from regeneration
Was this with stop/start disabled?

·
Registered
P300e MY2021 Nolita Edition, Seoul Pearl Silver, Nolita Grey roof, sliding sunroof, Cloud , towbar
120 Posts
Not sure. Just put it into sports mode and pressed the save button. I did not change the start/stop functionality. Never done so far, but I think I noticed that some hybrid modes change the settings itself?

·
Registered
Eigar grey P300se pan roof, privacy and dark alum trim
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ok……
Today drove 375 mile without stopping.
1.car fully charged on departure and left in hybrid mode
2. Battery was depleted within the first 40miles
3. About 200 miles into trip, the car recharged the battery from 0% to 83% in the space of about an hour.
4. Noted mpg when cruising at 75mph dived from 40mpg, to 25mpg when it was charging the battery

·
Registered
MY21 P300e
53 Posts
Quick stint on the M4, just 30 miles, put it into Save and the electric range went from 15 to 24 miles. Enough to get me home lol.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi All

New to the P300e and have been reading through all the threads, this one interests me as it appears that most people have not been advised how the charging works, when the vehicle is in save mode and as been driven for approximately 90 minutes straight (motorway), the car will recharge the battery using the BISG system (the engine) up to 80% of its capacity if the battery is below this level, this is how the cars are set up.

Also in save mode the car will use the electric motor to pull off and in some instances cruise plus assist in high torque demand, so you will see reductions occasionally in the battery, but as long as it stays above 80% capacity it should only rely on re-gen from the brakes / electric motor.

As for the other modes, I use hybrid only (other than save) as I'm not that interested in EV as its best to let the car make it's own mind up how best to get the most economical return, EV is a bit of a gimmick to keep the greens happy.

Treat it like a MHEV but get the added benefits PHEV.

Robs

·
Registered
Evoque P300e R-Dynamic HSE
21 Posts
Hi All

New to the P300e and have been reading through all the threads, this one interests me as it appears that most people have not been advised how the charging works, when the vehicle is in save mode and as been driven for approximately 90 minutes straight (motorway), the car will recharge the battery using the BISG system (the engine) up to 80% of its capacity if the battery is below this level, this is how the cars are set up.

Also in save mode the car will use the electric motor to pull off and in some instances cruise plus assist in high torque demand, so you will see reductions occasionally in the battery, but as long as it stays above 80% capacity it should only rely on re-gen from the brakes / electric motor.

As for the other modes, I use hybrid only (other than save) as I'm not that interested in EV as its best to let the car make it's own mind up how best to get the most economical return, EV is a bit of a gimmick to keep the greens happy.

Treat it like a MHEV but get the added benefits PHEV.

Robs
JLR make no reference to this at all. In fact they go so far to say it doesn’t recharge in some official literature. Or is this restricted to the newer MY21 model as pretty sure mine doesn’t do this?

Can I ask where you found it out as it would be handy feature to have?

Cheers

·
Registered
MY21 Evoque R Dynamic S P300e 1.5 - Fuji White
40 Posts
My MY21 definitely charges my battery when I've selected Save. Mine has currently charged to 86% when I was motorway driving on a longish journey. I usually select the auto start on/off to off mode as well.

·
Registered
2021 P300e R-Dynamic HSE, Eiger grey, black pack, black alloys, sliding pano roof, red calipers, etc
250 Posts
My 2021 P300e also definitely recharges the battery when driven in Save mode....but the mpg is also lower when doing this, so not really a massive benefit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes I can confirm mine does exactly what the Salesman told me, it charges in save mode when the battery is less than 80% full - I went from zero to 30% charge in the a distance of 48 miles @ and average of 20 mph and fuel consumption of 25 mpg.

I've just completed an 182 mile trip from London today in hybrid mode and the car has done 44.4 miles electric with an average fuel economy 43 mpg, average speed 51 mph and had 24% charge left, which included it re-charging by a further 20% during the trip (this was up the M1 to Derby from Abbey Wood - London) So I was getting a charge even when in Hybrid mode - we are talking long cruising speeds of around 70 mph issssssh

The car performed very well apart from the satnav trying to take us down bike lanes in central London, and we went down back roads I didn't know existed. I've changed the setting to take into account towing a trailer now so that should stop all the messing about we had.

The added bonus was it cost me £6 for 3 nights charging on the campsite, so travelling into London was very cheap (I was stopping in a pod so I had to use a spare pitch - hence the charge, would have been free if I had my caravan).

The biggest disappointment is the car is going into Land Rover on Monday as the Emergency Brake Assist stops working after so long, coming through the Dartford Tunnel this morning it had a right benny and in the end it stopped working so it's got to be looked at, hopefully it's just software - fingers crossed.

The congestion charge is a big rip off, I have an account to pay for visit's into London but with my car being a 71 plate it was not recognised and it will take 2 weeks for approval and any trips completed before this process is completed is not refundable, on top of that plug-ins from the 26th October will not be able to claim dispensation as only full EV vehicles will be eligible.

Other observations - when in cruise control the lane assist comes on automatically which can be switched off with the switch on the steering column, this is the only time it comes on automatically, I was under the impression on earlier cars this was on all the time - for sure the way my car is set-up is far more practical and less dangerous can any confirm if this has changed from the original specification.

·
Registered
P300e R-Dynamic HSE MY20.5 Firenze red Sliding sun roof
13 Posts
Yes I can confirm mine does exactly what the Salesman told me, it charges in save mode when the battery is less than 80% full - I went from zero to 30% charge in the a distance of 48 miles @ and average of 20 mph and fuel consumption of 25 mpg.

I've just completed an 182 mile trip from London today in hybrid mode and the car has done 44.4 miles electric with an average fuel economy 43 mpg, average speed 51 mph and had 24% charge left, which included it re-charging by a further 20% during the trip (this was up the M1 to Derby from Abbey Wood - London) So I was getting a charge even when in Hybrid mode - we are talking long cruising speeds of around 70 mph issssssh

The car performed very well apart from the satnav trying to take us down bike lanes in central London, and we went down back roads I didn't know existed. I've changed the setting to take into account towing a trailer now so that should stop all the messing about we had.

The added bonus was it cost me £6 for 3 nights charging on the campsite, so travelling into London was very cheap (I was stopping in a pod so I had to use a spare pitch - hence the charge, would have been free if I had my caravan).

The biggest disappointment is the car is going into Land Rover on Monday as the Emergency Brake Assist stops working after so long, coming through the Dartford Tunnel this morning it had a right benny and in the end it stopped working so it's got to be looked at, hopefully it's just software - fingers crossed.

The congestion charge is a big rip off, I have an account to pay for visit's into London but with my car being a 71 plate it was not recognised and it will take 2 weeks for approval and any trips completed before this process is completed is not refundable, on top of that plug-ins from the 26th October will not be able to claim dispensation as only full EV vehicles will be eligible.

Other observations - when in cruise control the lane assist comes on automatically which can be switched off with the switch on the steering column, this is the only time it comes on automatically, I was under the impression on earlier cars this was on all the time - for sure the way my car is set-up is far more practical and less dangerous can any confirm if this has changed from the original specification.
Hi Rob. This is very interesting as I tow a caravan so there is no chance of recharging at a charging station en route (unless I unhitch, charge & rehitch) but I like to have plenty of battery charge when I get to the campsite in case it’s a muddy field and I need 4WD. Please would you tell us exactly the set up to achieve charging from the petrol engine?
Also, how do you tell the satnav you have a trailer? Whenever I hitch up the car asks me to set up a trailer but won’t let me complete the setup. I asks me: How many axles? Length from hitch to axle? Total width at wheels? But it won’t accept the answer for this 3rd question. My dealer says it doesn’t matter as its only used for Advanced Tow Assist that I don’t have.
Cheers, David

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Rob. This is very interesting as I tow a caravan so there is no chance of recharging at a charging station en route (unless I unhitch, charge & rehitch) but I like to have plenty of battery charge when I get to the campsite in case it’s a muddy field and I need 4WD. Please would you tell us exactly the set up to achieve charging from the petrol engine?
Also, how do you tell the satnav you have a trailer? Whenever I hitch up the car asks me to set up a trailer but won’t let me complete the setup. I asks me: How many axles? Length from hitch to axle? Total width at wheels? But it won’t accept the answer for this 3rd question. My dealer says it doesn’t matter as its only used for Advanced Tow Assist that I don’t have.
Cheers, David
Hi David.

The simple answer is not to drive in Hybrid when towing, I'll run in save mode with a full charge, the car can use 20% of the charge but will never go below 80%, to be honest when coming up the motor way the car really only uses the engine so I can't see the point of hybrid. I have noticed even in save mode the car will run electric sometimes makes for smooth pull offs etc

The site hook up set-up is pretty simple, but I did find out the hard way. I purchased the 3 pin power cable from Land Rover thinking I could just chop the plug off and put a caravan plug on it - wrong as the plug fitted to the charging cable as additional wiring for plug temperature sensing, so I've scraped that cable - embarrassing to say the least. Any way had a re-think purchased a new cable for £124 - which does the same job (what a price difference that was) Also purchased a waterproof box with extension lead which I then converted the extension lead from a 13 pin plug to the caravan 3 pin plug so now the charging box for the car fits inside the waterproof box and I have two cables coming out of the box, one to the car the other to the power post on the camp sites - I'll take a photo for you.

I'm really not sure what I've got but it's asking for calibration which I'll do on Sunday when I fetch my van - there no mention of any trailer up-grades on the build sheet so I don't know how this as happened - when was your car supplied - mines just over a week old.

Thanks
Rob.

·
Registered
P300e R-Dynamic HSE MY20.5 Firenze red Sliding sun roof
13 Posts
Hi David.

The simple answer is not to drive in Hybrid when towing, I'll run in save mode with a full charge, the car can use 20% of the charge but will never go below 80%, to be honest when coming up the motor way the car really only uses the engine so I can't see the point of hybrid. I have noticed even in save mode the car will run electric sometimes makes for smooth pull offs etc

The site hook up set-up is pretty simple, but I did find out the hard way. I purchased the 3 pin power cable from Land Rover thinking I could just chop the plug off and put a caravan plug on it - wrong as the plug fitted to the charging cable as additional wiring for plug temperature sensing, so I've scraped that cable - embarrassing to say the least. Any way had a re-think purchased a new cable for £124 - which does the same job (what a price difference that was) Also purchased a waterproof box with extension lead which I then converted the extension lead from a 13 pin plug to the caravan 3 pin plug so now the charging box for the car fits inside the waterproof box and I have two cables coming out of the box, one to the car the other to the power post on the camp sites - I'll take a photo for you.

I'm really not sure what I've got but it's asking for calibration which I'll do on Sunday when I fetch my van - there no mention of any trailer up-grades on the build sheet so I don't know how this as happened - when was your car supplied - mines just over a week old.

Thanks
Rob.
Hi Rob. I have been towing in Save mode to keep the battery in reserve in case 4WD is needed but I would like to know how to recharge the battery on the run in case I ever need to do this.
I bought a 10m 3rd party home charging cable that I use at home and via a 13amp socket in the caravan when on site. I bought one that allowed me to choose the charge current (6, 8, 10 or 13amps) which proved very useful last weekend as the site supply only allowed 10amps maximum. I’ve also made an EHU hookup plug to waterproof 13amp socket to use if there’s a spare EHU socket available.
My car is a 21 reg (collected in July) but is a MY2020.5 so has InControl Touch Pro software.
Cheers, David

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Rob. I have been towing in Save mode to keep the battery in reserve in case 4WD is needed but I would like to know how to recharge the battery on the run in case I ever need to do this.
I bought a 10m 3rd party home charging cable that I use at home and via a 13amp socket in the caravan when on site. I bought one that allowed me to choose the charge current (6, 8, 10 or 13amps) which proved very useful last weekend as the site supply only allowed 10amps maximum. I’ve also made an EHU hookup plug to waterproof 13amp socket to use if there’s a spare EHU socket available.
My car is a 21 reg (collected in July) but is a MY2020.5 so has InControl Touch Pro software.
Cheers, David
The only real way to charge it back up is if the battery is below 80% is in the save mode, other than that hybrid mode will do a certain amount of regen but no where near as much in save mode plus it depends on how much load is on the engine.

I did a recharge after I ran out which is mentioned above, but this was with the vehicle on it's own and not towing, the chances of setting off without a full charge is pretty remote as long as you can use the site electrics other than that you would need to use one of the public chargers, to be honest most of the sites we use have tarmac drives and hard standing for the van, little or no muddy fields.

I always though the HSE came with trailer assist as standard which looks to be what I have (still to be confirmed if it's advanced or not) Have you looked at the imanual for your year of manufacture to see what it says. On your sat nav can you set the route parameters for towing a trailer/ caravan ?

Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
Evoque P300e HSE R-Dynamic
11 Posts
The is something else I just noticed
I started my 100 mile journey with about 26 EV miles. I got home with 2.
as I say I was in hybrid mode. And did not see any any elections being used in the various screens. And just checked the remote appsnd the journey feature and that says I only did 3.1 miles in EV Mode. So where did all the electrons go ?
Really? When I've done this, it usually drops by 2-3 miles in 100miles.
I heard it's because it uses battery energy to power A/C or heater, heated seats, screens etc.

Newer models in 2021 have the self charging capability (I think) in SAVE mode. I don't have it on my 2020 version

21 - 34 of 34 Posts