Evoque Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Eigar grey P300se pan roof, privacy and dark alum trim
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5000 miles in now . Iv recently done a few longer drives of 300m + and have noticed the following .

Left in hybrid mode and leaving with a full charge (usually showing as about 30miles). Economy when motorway driving for 300m returns an overall average of 46mpg. When battery is completely dead, car seems to do about 37-40mpg when sat at 70-75mph according to the instant consumption read out.

Now the strange thing…..
Sometimes when the battery is flat, when cruising on the motorway, it charges all the way back up to 100% quite quickly (1.5hrs) as if it’s like a self charging hybrid which I know it isn’t. But other times it doesn’t , just the usually few % of charge through braking regeneration / coasting.

Anyone else found the car recharging fast when cruising on the motorway? It meant that today I got 65 ev miles on a 250 mile trip without stopping to take on charge .

·
Registered
4 Posts
5000 miles in now . Iv recently done a few longer drives of 300m + and have noticed the following .

Left in hybrid mode and leaving with a full charge (usually showing as about 30miles). Economy when motorway driving for 300m returns an overall average of 46mpg. When battery is completely dead, car seems to do about 37-40mpg when sat at 70-75mph according to the instant consumption read out.

Now the strange thing…..
Sometimes when the battery is flat, when cruising on the motorway, it charges all the way back up to 100% quite quickly (1.5hrs) as if it’s like a self charging hybrid which I know it isn’t. But other times it doesn’t , just the usually few % of charge through braking regeneration / coasting.

Anyone else found the car recharging fast when cruising on the motorway? It meant that today I got 65 ev miles on a 250 mile trip without stopping to take on charge .

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have noticed this recharge on a few motorway trips - when battery has been drained. This cannot be coming from regen as didn’t touch the brake for an hour and I ended up with 20 miles battery range ?

·
Registered
2021 P300e R-Dynamic HSE, Eiger grey, black pack, black alloys, sliding pano roof, red calipers, etc
250 Posts
Not sure how you two are managing to get so much unexplained battery regen/self charge. The most I have ever seen on a longish journey is 8 extra miles....started with an indicated 38 mile range but actually covered 46 on EV before the range showed zero.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am glad you posted this

just done a 100 mile motorway trip

with auto stop start turned off. This is very important otherwise my car always defaults to batttey. Which means in hybrid mode the battery gets depleted really quick. And I don’t like driving at 70 mph on battery only😁

so dri along at say a steady 70 ish on a straight leve road In HYBRID mode i am getting 40 plus mpg and the car feels responsive to changes in throttle input

If I switch to save mode. I instantly see the instant fuel consumption drop by over 20 mpg
And you can fell the engine working harder and is less responsive.The Revs do not change but the available Electric miles starts going up
The car is now less responsive

it is like the op says it like the battery is being re changed. I check the EV status on the top screen. And it does not bc show any changing going on

I have had the car for 3 months now snd I still don’t understand the logic the engineers used when programming the

·
Registered
22 Posts
My experience is also that when you put the car in Save, the battery is recharged via the ICE (despite JLR claims). My "complaint" is that there is no mode where you can force the ICE on without charging the battery. The former is great when you want to ensure AWD capabilities (otherwise a depleted battery will give you FWD only), but the latter would be great to actually "save" battery life without letting the ICE work in overdrive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The is something else I just noticed
I started my 100 mile journey with about 26 EV miles. I got home with 2.
as I say I was in hybrid mode. And did not see any any elections being used in the various screens. And just checked the remote appsnd the journey feature and that says I only did 3.1 miles in EV Mode. So where did all the electrons go ?

·
Registered
2021 P300e R-Dynamic HSE, Eiger grey, black pack, black alloys, sliding pano roof, red calipers, etc
250 Posts
My experience is also that when you put the car in Save, the battery is recharged via the ICE (despite JLR claims). My "complaint" is that there is no mode where you can force the ICE on without charging the battery.
Just leave car in hybrid mode and turn off the auto stop/start.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Then it goes EV on the highway and no juice left for the return journey on slow roads.
No....if auto stop start is turned off the car will only run on the petrol engine.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So when my car recharged the battery on the motorway, it was left in hybrid with start/stop turned on. It seemed to have a mind of its own as Iv not seen it recharge like that before.

Does the save mode use the engine to charge up the battery ?

·
Registered
P300e MY2021 Nolita Edition, Seoul Pearl Silver, Nolita Grey roof, sliding sunroof, Cloud , towbar
120 Posts
Today I drove a trip of about 40km. Because I don't drive much at the moment and have more or less only driven electric sofar I thought it's good to have the petrol engine run-in a bit. So I put it into sports mode and turned save mode on. On this short journey over b-roads it added 10km to the battery range. Can't imagine it only came from regeneration

·
Registered
22 Posts
Today I drove a trip of about 40km. Because I don't drive much at the moment and have more or less only driven electric sofar I thought it's good to have the petrol engine run-in a bit. So I put it into sports mode and turned save mode on. On this short journey over b-roads it added 10km to the battery range. Can't imagine it only came from regeneration
Exactly. They'd better provide 4 modes: Hybrid, EV, Save, Recharge -> much more intuitive and then we don't have to abuse the start/stop button as 4ndy proposed to achieve an actual "Save" ;-)

·
Registered
P300e
202 Posts
On recent 400 mile round trip the car was in Hybrid mode for the first 200 miles.

I noted the average MPG when the battery was flat in Hybrid to be approx. 40.

I then switched to Save mode, and although this charges the battery quickly, the MPG dropped to about 25/30!

Conclusion: unless you need to use EV only before you end your journey, don't use Save mode, its MUCH cheaper to charge from the mains!

·
Registered
10 Posts
but I deactivated stop start in hybrid mode
And there was no indication that the battery was being used. Even the app reported that only 3 miles of EV mode was used but I used 25 miles of batter range / 2/3rds of the stored energy in 100 miles. Does anyone else’s notice this ?

·
Registered
MY21 Evoque R-design P300e Autobiography Eiger Grey
35 Posts
The is something else I just noticed
I started my 100 mile journey with about 26 EV miles. I got home with 2.
as I say I was in hybrid mode. And did not see any any elections being used in the various screens. And just checked the remote appsnd the journey feature and that says I only did 3.1 miles in EV Mode. So where did all the electrons go ?
If you demand more power to the car while going in hybrid (ICE on) you will also expend the batteries. That is, pressing the throttle fully, driving in hybrid, will waste both fuel and electricity. I did a high mountain motorway trip in Dynamic mode (30miles EV range at the beginning) and after 25 miles I only had 1mile EV range without driving a single mile in EV.

Reactions: 4ndy

·
Registered
22 Posts
I played a bit with the start/stop on and off in hybrid mode and my conclusion is as follows:
1. Hybrid mode, start/stop on, calm driving -> car decides EV
2. Press start/stop off -> car fires up ICE
3. EV range goes down and ICE seems to run at idle/same RPM as if it's just on, but actually you're still driving EV

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have another 600 mile long journey this weekend so will have a play.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts