Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
MY21 Evoque R-design P300e Autobiography Eiger Grey
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a doubt if charging batteries in a fast way (2-3 hours AC, that is 5 to 7 kw power) or using the DC chargers (32 kw) will reduce lifetime of the batteries or not.

With my home charger (wallbox) , I am able to charge from really slow (6 A - 1,4 kw - 10 hours) to reasonably fast (20 A - 4,6 kW - 3 hours). I normally let the car over the night charging and it doesnt make any difference to me if needing 2 hours or 8 hours, also with the electrical rates as I have the same eur/kwh all day.

Regards!

·
Registered
2021 P300e R-Dynamic HSE, Eiger grey, black pack, black alloys, sliding pano roof, red calipers, etc
130 Posts
I have never really liked the idea of fast charging my car using a high power charger....I just plug into a normal mains socket, to fully recharge overnight and get the benefit of cheaper electricity. I think slow charging is safer and better for the batteries.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have never really liked the idea of fast charging my car using a high power charger....I just plug into a normal mains socket, to fully recharge overnight and get the benefit of cheaper electricity. I think slow charging is safer and better for the batteries.
Can you still get tarifs with cheaper overnight electric?

·
Registered
2021 P300e R-Dynamic HSE, Eiger grey, black pack, black alloys, sliding pano roof, red calipers, etc
130 Posts
Can you still get tarifs with cheaper overnight electric?
Yes, I'm on Octopus Go tariff. It only costs 5p per kw to recharge overnight....at least 3 times cheaper than during the day.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,945 Posts
@4ndy Is their 'day rate' on par with normal suppliers as I've read some bump up their day rate which sort of cancels things out! I think I have heard good reports about Octopus though.

·
Registered
130 Posts
@4ndy Is their 'day rate' on par with normal suppliers as I've read some bump up their day rate which sort of cancels things out! I think I have heard good reports about Octopus though.
Day rate on my Octopus Go tariff is 15p per kw and the night time rate is 5p per kw....was the best tariff I could find last time I checked.

·
Registered
2020, D180, standard
29 Posts
Any battery suffers with fast charges whatever they say, cooling, alternate selection of cells, etc ... it is just one way to mitigate this damage, advice if you do not need the vehicle use the slow charge, tesla in the model S already updated them to its owners a limitation in the fast charge, appel in their mobiles the same.

Reactions: 4ndy

·
Registered
R-Dynamic SE Firenze Red/Pan Roof/Black Pack
242 Posts
Batteries guaranteed for 6 years - I won't have the car beyond 3 so not that bothered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts