Evoque Owners Club banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

Β·
Registered
MY20 P300e PHEV | Yulong White | R-Dynamic SE | Panoramic Roof | Clearsight | Driver Assist Pack
883 Posts

Β·
Registered
2013, Evoque SD4 - Firenza Red - Dynamic, 5dr Auto
141 Posts
Those pics are unbelievable. They remind me of photos my grandad shared with me when he was alive. Thanks for sharing something so special to you

Β·
Premium Member
68 plate HSE Petrol Dynamic
56 Posts
You are all most welcome .. This is why I am proud of the UK yes I know we have the Brexit issues but I love our heritage including Jaguar and landrover etc .. sure they have their faults but so did the spitfire ! so please can we be more supportive of uk manufacturing instead of knocking it all the time at least for these young men and women who defended the motherland, we do need to club together and make our country robust and strong and a shining example to the rest of the world .. I know there is a little bit of politics creeping in but I believe I am entitled to have a little say on this matter . I for one am so grateful that I was born in the UK and I am very proud to say this .. with my family history I hopefully believe I have some justice to say this ...
god bless

Β·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Wow! What a fantastic collection of memories you have there. You should be very proud. They are very special.
It has brought to mind memories of my father.

My father saw action as a young soldier in Egypt towards the end of the Second World War, and I have very few pictures of him from that time, just a few in albums in the loft, but certainly no action shots. He never really spoke a great deal about his time in the war, but I think it affected him greatly.
About the only story I remember him telling me from that time was of a young Arab who tried to get into the compound and was challenged by my father and two other guards, during a search at the gate several grenades were found taped between his legs, so a pin was pulled and he was pushed back out and they all dived for cover behind the gates...
He would have only been 21 or 22 at the time. So much for a young man to take on. We really have no idea, and I’m in my 60’s, so youngsters nowadays can’t possibly even imagine what our peers went through.

Β·
Registered
MY20 P300e PHEV | Yulong White | R-Dynamic SE | Panoramic Roof | Clearsight | Driver Assist Pack
883 Posts
You are all most welcome .. This is why I am proud of the UK yes I know we have the Brexit issues but I love our heritage including Jaguar and landrover etc .. sure they have their faults but so did the spitfire ! so please can we be more supportive of uk manufacturing instead of knocking it all the time at least for these young men and women who defended the motherland, we do need to club together and make our country robust and strong and a shining example to the rest of the world .. I know there is a little bit of politics creeping in but I believe I am entitled to have a little say on this matter . I for one am so grateful that I was born in the UK and I am very proud to say this .. with my family history I hopefully believe I have some justice to say this ...
god bless
πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘....nicely put πŸ‘

Reactions: TheTrueYorkshireman

Β·
Premium Member
68 plate HSE Petrol Dynamic
56 Posts
this is what I'm trying to say ... yes we have problems with our cars but not real life problems compared to our previous generations of families who were fighting for freedom :) just look at that poor chap being burnt alive in his Corsair fighter plane . .as yet when I find who he is will share with his family at some point .. if I ever find then !!

Β·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
4th picture .... I Believe this was one of his close friends who .. I have no idea View attachment 6126
As far as I recall that one was the external tank detaching on landing and catching fire.
Pilot was ok though.
It is funny that the Corsair was designed and built by the US yet the Royal Navy was the first to operate it from carriers at sea.

Β·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I think quite a few of us are old enough to have close relatives that served during the war.
My father served for 40 years in the RAF as an engineer trying to keep the things flying during the war.
He was a warrant officer on way to Egypt in 1941 when his ship was torpedoed and got dumped on Malta.
He spent nearly 3 years there during the worst of the blitz and was given a commission and sent to 249 Sqdn as the engineering officer.
Malta tends to be a bit forgotten but until Vietnam it was the most bombed place on earth per square mile.
I'll upload some pics later if I get a chance.

Β·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Yes I think you’re right about many of us having close relatives that were in the war. My Mum was also in the war, and was a radar instructor here in the UK, and served at various bases mainly in the south of England.
Sadly, in her last few years she suffered badly with dementia, and we used to have a laugh together as she told us of how she was on Salisbury Plane shooting French Fighters down with Baufort Guns 😐. She did have the occasional realistic memory too, but sadly mostly fictitious towards the end, but at least she could have a laugh with us about it.

Reactions: ukcommander

Β·
Registered
66 Posts
My Dad was a Flight Engineer on Stirlings ,until his Squadron had just 3 aircraft return from a mission, and was then disbanded.
He then flew with a Halifax SOE Squadron till the end of the War.
He kept a lot of Hair raising stories quiet until he was in his eighties.
Gave away his medals too.....

Β·
Registered
8,116 Posts
My dad was RAF. I know he was on radar. Sgt in India in the war, did 24 or 25 years cane out as a Warrant Officer. I lost him 10 years ago but I wear his medals on Remberance Day with pride. Mum was in the Land Army

Reactions: PhilB and rawpilot

Β·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
As I mentioned previously I've dug out a few pictures from my Old Man's time on Malta.
Not many as his kit was lost when he was torpedoed and he had to beg and borrow a camera.
A Spit "going upstairs" as fast as it can.
Maltaspit.jpg

The black stuff underneath from the engine is oil.
Front line Spits used to leak like a sieve apparently.
Couple of pilots exchanging experiences:
MaltaPilots.jpg

A view of Ta Kali drome with the Mosta dome in the distance.
Mosta was the home of "the miracle" when during a Sunday mass a 500KG German bomb came through the dome, bounced off the bottom of the altar and went straight down the aisle before burying itself in a wall and it didn't go off and nobody was injured.
Black Hurricane in the foreground was used for night fighting.
Squadron of Hurricanes formed up ready to go.
One of the famous road rollers in the middle ground which helped fix the holes in the runways after bombing.
There is an aviation museum there now and also the Malta national footy stadium.

TaKaliMalta.jpg

Talking of bombs:
Bombs2.jpg

These were a bit close !
Bombs.jpg

This thing came in with a dead engine in front of the old man at Luqa drome one day (Today it's the main airport).
Pilot jumped out, emptied his pistol into it whilst cursing in German and was then taken prisoner.
Of course it was throughly gone over for any intelligence.
I asked him if it was any good.
He said "Damned good engineers those Germans".
Malta109.jpg

Β·
Super Moderator
2,511 Posts
Amazing photos, thanks for sharing.

Reactions: TheTrueYorkshireman
21 - 36 of 36 Posts