Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bunch of teenagers and early 20 somethings turned the tide against the onslaught of the Luftwaffe.
There is now only one left.
John "Paddy" Hemingway DFC aged 101.
As Vet says in his sig "We will remember them".
To all of them who are now departed I say "Blue skies Gentlemen".

If you get the chance watch the film "Spitfire" which was shown last night on BBC4 and hopefully will be repeated.
Beautiful photography and very moving.
Even if you aren't into aircraft the sheer power and beauty of the aircraft is stunning.

·
Registered
8,044 Posts
on my right calf

·
Registered
2013, Evoque SD4 - Firenza Red - Dynamic, 5dr Auto
138 Posts
Very meaningful bit of ink there Vet.
And how true the message is.

·
Registered
8,044 Posts
Reactions: ukcommander

·
Registered
MY20 P300e PHEV | Yulong White | R-Dynamic SE | Panoramic Roof | Clearsight | Driver Assist Pack
847 Posts
My grandfather was a Spitfire pilot of 92 Squadron and flew with Geoff Wellum...his memory makes me proud every single day. ‘Aut pugna aut morere’...’either fight or die’.

·
Premium Member
68 plate HSE Petrol Dynamic
55 Posts
Hello .. so was mine I have his original photo album that he left me, I was going to donate to the imperial war museum or Duxford . I will try and upload a few pic later if people are interested ?? he was based on a aircraft carrier I believe although disappointing for me I never met the brave chap

·
Registered
MY20 P300e PHEV | Yulong White | R-Dynamic SE | Panoramic Roof | Clearsight | Driver Assist Pack
847 Posts
Yes please @TheTrueYorkshireman as I love stuff like this. My grandfather went on to to be a jet test pilot in the UK/USA testing 75 different aircraft before commanding a V Bomber Squadron in later life and then retiring as Wing Commander in Whitehall.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Ok .. 1st picture is the photo Album that I received his name was Sydney James .. don't laugh as I believe there is a connection to to the carry on film actor as a distance family member or cousin .. but I digress, and I never got to the bottom of this family rumour ...

·
Registered
847 Posts
These are great photos...images like these take you to a place only others have lived...Thank you for sharing @TheTrueYorkshireman ✊✊✊

·
Registered
8,972 Posts
Brilliant photos .... all of them heros

Reactions: TheTrueYorkshireman

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
a couple more pics and believe the whole album can be seen at Duxford .... this is the most powerful pic that I have very strong emotions about and most of these chaps were just teenagers they really are heros defending their beliefs .. my grandad was the person taking the photos .. really is a snap shot through the lens of history in his eyes .. I have this framed in my house, you will never see this photo again as this is a original in a private family collection that has been undisturbed for years .. but I feel now is the right time to share this to all

1 - 20 of 36 Posts