·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a bit of what I do outside of work............keeps me out of the pub

Restored a 1961 Mk1 mini a few years back

From this

To this after 2.5 years of living in my garage

Current project due to finish...............Mk1 1990 Golf GTI Karmann Convertible

·
Registered
70 Posts
2 great classics back on the road, well done Mortz!

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
My mate used to restore mini's until the price of very, very poor used ones went through the roof!
Love the Golf, very nicely done

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dan said:
My mate used to restore mini's until the price of very, very poor used ones went through the roof!

Yip those tin box's are still expensive to sort out....guess they always will be....bled me dry over 2 years or so

Me golf has no patch on the mini though.....senario " roof down....sun out"......just a toy.....great to be used for dry miles only

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Wheeler Dealers didnt help! That TV show kept buying minis to do up and I think helped push the price up. lol
One of those cars I think everyone should have a go in at some point in their lives.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mortz said:
Dan said:

Yip those tin box's are still expensive to sort out....guess they always will be....bled me dry over 2 years or so

Me golf has no patch on the mini  though.....senario " roof down....sun out"......just a toy.....great to be used for dry miles only
This 1954 TF 1250 was a long term hobby and I only sold it because age caught up with me and it became too difficult to maintain it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mortz said:
Cracker!....how long did it take you?
It was a rolling restoration spread over four years Mortz. The car had had a strange life having covered only 17k miles before I bought it in 1998. One owner, a retired engineer only did 150 mies in 22 years! Maybe because he took it to bits twice and painted it twice (non standard colours apart rom the black) while looking after his bedridden wife! Unfortunately even though there was no rust anywhere I had to re-repaint the (silver) chassis black. Rewiring most of the electrics, restoring the instruments and re-trimming the interior was very time consuming. Installing an MGA crown wheel and pinion and electronic ignition transformed the usability. The XPAG engine never stopped leaking oil and the non=servo drum brakes left a lot to be desired. Without a heater it was bloody cold in the winter, but it still put a great big grin on my face whenever I drove it. Edited by: martinaston

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
martinaston said:
Mortz said:
Cracker!....how long did it take you?
It was a rolling restoration spread over four years Mortz. The car had had a strange life having covered only 17k miles before I bought it in 1998. One owner, a retired engineer only did 150 mies in 22 years! Maybe because he took it to bits twice and painted it twice (non standard colours apart rom the black) while looking after his bedridden wife! Unfortunately even though there was no rust anywhere I had to re-repaint the (silver) chassis black. Rewiring most of the electrics, restoring the instruments and re-trimming the interior was very time consuming. Installing an MGA crown wheel and pinion and electronic ignition transformed the usability. The XPAG engine never stopped leaking oil and the non=servo drum brakes left a lot to be desired. Without a heater it was bloody cold in the winter, but it still put a great big grin on my face whenever I drove it.

Nice bit of history....people who restore old cars will always have similar stories...I feel your pain and dedication.

Be great if you could post up some pixbefore and during

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sadly, I gave all the photos, notebook history and invoices to the new owner in Suffolk. Being the pre digital era the photos were postcard prints from 35mm Kodacolour negatives, which were lost in our last move!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ahhh never!....so gutted for you...it would have been nice to share your dedication with others.....least your memories will always be with you

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mortz said:
Ahhh never!....so gutted for you...it would have been nice to share your dedication with others.....least your memories will always be with you
I managed to find these on an old CD.

Pre-restoration. poncy red (non-standard) carpet and clapped out door cards and seat leather.

Dash resprayed and instrument panel/instuments now as new.

Another interior shot, only the seats to do.

This shows how small and vulnerable the TF is!

Edited by: martinaston

·
Premium Member
10,626 Posts
What a good thread.

You guys really must have terrific patience, I've always wanted to do something like that, but know that I'd end up with a half finished project.

Well done to you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
For some unknown reason this photo on my previous post went walkabout on photo bucket and I can't edit it back.

Interior refurb complete, only the seats to do.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Those seats did'nt look too bad...a good clean, feed and re-colour...would have looked like new...gutted you no longer have this beauty

1 - 19 of 19 Posts