Evoque Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2019 Evoque 2.0 diesel and I'm going to take it for a long journey tomorrow so I thought I'd check the water and oil to see make sure they're all okay to find my oil level is 2.5cm over the max level on the dipstick! It was last serviced by LR early August this year included an oil change, I don't do much mileage like 20 miles a day but I always make sure to give it a good 100 miles run every month as I'm aware of DPF regens etc, the service indicator says oil service in 6000 miles (664 days). I honestly don't know what to do I'm really anxious about it - has anyone got any advice please.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,840 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2019 Evoque 2.0 diesel and I'm going to take it for a long journey tomorrow so I thought I'd check the water and oil to see make sure they're all okay to find my oil level is 2.5cm over the max level on the dipstick! It was last serviced by LR early August this year included an oil change, I don't do much mileage like 20 miles a day but I always make sure to give it a good 100 miles run every month as I'm aware of DPF regens etc, the service indicator says oil service in 6000 miles (664 days). I honestly don't know what to do I'm really anxious about it - has anyone got any advice please.

Thanks
Have you got a dipstick? My 2017 2.0 litre didn’t have one, it was a computerised reading. Are you parked on level ground, that is very high over the max mark

Reactions: Durrantie

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To be honest at this point I think I might sadly have to sell it, love the car but it's gone through 3 oxygen sensors already and now this much over the mark it must just not be doing proper regens or something?

·
Super Moderator
9,840 Posts
A 2019 should be covered by free oil changes. Take it the dealer to sort

·
Super Moderator
9,840 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I read that after I posted the help question which answered a lot of questions - thanks for getting back to me anyway

·
Registered
2021 P300e R-Dynamic HSE, Eiger grey, black pack, black alloys, sliding pano roof, red calipers, etc
332 Posts
All these problems with the diesel engined Evoques are exactly the reason that I switched to petrol and now hybrid power....for me diesel is far too old fashioned and agricultural...I'm finished with diesel.

·
Registered
2020, D180, standard
100 Posts
It may be a simple idea, but did you notice when the vehicle was delivered it was above grade? It may be that the dealer when making the revision exceeded the maximum level, however, he should remove the extra with a suction pump through the inlet of the rod and leave it at the correct level.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
3,129 Posts
I was just about to ask if you checked the level after the service - but @SCC90 beat me to it :)

Does the oil smell of diesel? The photo looks like solid oil.

Reactions: SCC90

·
Registered
2020, D180, standard
100 Posts
Something similar happened to me but with the coolant level they exceeded the maximum level and this broke the expansion tank cap, with the consequence that it cannot control the pressure causing small coolant leaks.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
3,129 Posts
Something similar happened to me but with the coolant level they exceeded the maximum level and this broke the expansion tank cap, with the consequence that it cannot control the pressure causing small coolant leaks.
Yes, it's always worth checking fluid levels after a service!
You would hope they know what they are doing :(

·
Super Moderator
9,840 Posts
One of reasons I got rid of both my Evoques and went for a north / south engined 3litre Jaguar. The transverse engined 2.0 litre has no room for the DPF to heat up quickly enough.

Reactions: 4ndy

·
Registered
2016 TD4 180 HSE MY17
191 Posts
The increased oil level generally speaking is as a result of regens, or interrupted regens to be more precise. At least that is how I understood it.
So in your case, it is likely doing all the regens, albeit more than you think or perhaps more often because it got interrupted by engine shut down?
Hypothetically speaking, passive regens on highway does not use any extra diesel. Active regens use extra diesel, but ends up in oil and more so if interrupted (or so I think). Active regens can also happen at highway speed if your car deems it a good time to do one. I know mine does it from time to time.
But any oil changes should be free and I reckon the amount of regens (in the algorithm) will trigger the new intermediate oil service change indicator to kick in at some point.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It may be a simple idea, but did you notice when the vehicle was delivered it was above grade? It may be that the dealer when making the revision exceeded the maximum level, however, he should remove the extra with a suction pump through the inlet of the rod and leave it at the correct level.
No I actually didn't check it tbh, I've already read that d8 article and I'm just not doing enough miles for regens, I was told by LR when I got the car that if I take it for a good run once a month the DPF will be fine, well apparently not I didn't realise the car didn't have a close coupled DPF

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
As Biker has said, the amount of increase should have triggered a call for an oil change.
Considering your oil was changed only 2 months ago and considering your relatively low mileage I think they have overfilled it at the last oil change.
People with oil dilution have reported a gradual increase in oil level over a period of time much longer than 2 months !
I would get back on to the garage asap and get them to do a proper drain of the oil and a proper refill.
Also check the oil level before you take it back.

You say you have a 2019 model.
Is this the latest MK2 version ?.
If so another case against it being oil dilution as things seem to have gone very quiet as regards DPF issues and dilution with the Mk2.

Reactions: SCC90

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
In 18 months I’ve only had 1 intermediate oil change. (FOC) I have noticed a gradual increase on the dipstick, but it’s minimal. I drive mine completely against the recommended way, lots of short runs, hardly any long runs. So maybe they have sorted the DPF problem 🤔🤞🏻

·
Registered
2016 TD4 180 HSE MY17
191 Posts
Mine had to go for oil change 6 months/3,435 km (2100 miles) after major service. Mixed driving, long and short.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This happened to ours when we first checked and yes anxious indeed.
Took to garage and they said open bonnet, he then checked dipstick, wiped it and checked again and the oil was spot on the full Mark.
So try, run your engine for couple minutes or so, stop it and then wipe and recheck levels.
It was fine for us, they thought the overfull Mark on dipstick was because of oil binding to dipstick in tube.
We were much relieved, live and learn.
This was a JLR garage we took her to.

NO further issues thankfully and we've been here there everywhere with the car

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
When the engine is running oil will be sprayed around and over the dipstrick.
It's been the case since I watched my Dad doing his cars that you should run the car up to temp, park on a flat area and wait 10 minutes.
Always wipe the stick after first removing it then fully pop it back in then remove for an accurate reading.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts