Evoque Owners Club banner

Oil Dilution Worries

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Revoke 
#1 ·
After nearly five years of the 2.2 Evoque that was excellent I spent £9 for two replacement batteries for the key fobs. I test drove the D180 and thought how this car has advanced in that period. We have a D180 and so far it is very impressive. My only concern is the oil dilution problems that you hear about. I intend to change the oil at 12 months and top up the Ad Blue. My trips on average should be around 15 miles or more should I have a problem with this? I do miss the rotary gear change on the previous car.

#2 ·
Change the oil regularly and do a drive on a motorway occasionally, you should be fine.

#3 ·
I'd love to know what JLR's definition of a "Short Journey" is. Has anyone had an explicit answer ? My daily commute is currently 10 miles / 20 minutes. Is that too short ?

Back to the original OP....AdBlue topups should be covered under any sort of service plan. Oil changes at least annually.
Regards
Richard

#4 ·
I was told by my local dealer 20 miles without dropping below 40mph as if it's trying to do a regen it stops if you drop below 40mph. No idea if this is correct though.

#6 ·
I was told by the dealer back in 2012 with my 2.2 (EU5 emissions) diesel, that I had to do long and speedier journeys to keep the DPF filter free of soot, and that the car was no good for just short slow journeys only. So every week without fail I made sure I did some motorway journeys, never had any problems with the DPF the five and a half years I had the car.

I never moved onto the EU6 diesel due to it being far more complex, (more burn cycles, oil dilution requiring more frequent oil and filter changes and the addition of adblue), so like a lot of other motorists, went back to a petrol car.

#8 ·
So far so good with my 2.2L which is mostly short trips. But the OP was happy with their 2.2L, it's the Ingenium diesel they have the worries :)

To @santiburi
I think only time will tell. Try to get some longer trips in if you can. LR say 20 minutes over 40mph for a DPF regen which might be required every 200-300miles - see the many previous threads for more info on this.

Reactions: Veteran
#9 ·
2.0ltr diesel DPF potential problems was the only reason I got rid of mine and bought the V6 diesel Jag. Should have no worries with that as it has a close coupled filter Which heats up quicker

#17 · (Edited)
To Santiburi and others querying the journey pattern that is required to avoid the worst of the problems, once again I suggest the D8 Dilution guide. It contains links to several JLR videos and web pages that deal with this issue, also there's an insightful comment from JLR Executive Office which mentions the requirement to include some journeys of "over an hour". See pages 9, ("There is no passive regeneration during normal driving") and 11, ("An active regeneration takes longer to complete").

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.