Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running our new evoque now for about six weeks and have done just short of 3000 miles in it. I have the SD4 Dynamic LUX Auto in Red. I love the way it looks and can't fault the drive at all. However I am seriously disappointed in the fuel economy. Landrover state that the car will do 44mpg combined with this engine and auto box. But the absolute best I canachieveis around 33mpg on a long steady run at around 70-75 mph. Generally on extra urban driving the economy is around 28mpg. I can't believe a 2.2 4 cylinder diesel is only returning this. I swapped this car from a 2008 3.0 6 cylinder twin turbo X5 which used to return around the same. You have to say that the X5 is massive compared to this and is probably at least a tonne heavier and whats more has twice as much surface contact from the tyres. Combined with the really distracting and unintuative touch screen electronics package I am really statrting to dislike the car. So much is good about it but far too much is so not right about it too. It could be an amazing car but it just isn't. It's like as though they never even looked at what the Germans are doing really well and just hashed the interior electronics together. Have LR ever seen an Apple interface. The user interface is like it's been put together by a couple of GSE students on there final year project.A touch screen in a car is far too distracting to use whilst driving and no doubt a lot of evoques will be crashed doing so. The Sat Nav has arubbish user interface (and I've read the manual). The steering wheel buttons don't really have any function. Once you have set the car up to your particular preferences the right hand set will probably not get used again before you sell the car. Wouldn't they be better used to scroll around the phone menu or something useful whilst your driving? Even if it was one big 'mute' button it would be better. God I could go on and on of how poor the electronic interface is on this carbut I don't have the time. Where is inertia scrolling? Why are all the buttons down the side of the screen replicated on screen. Why is there emphasis on junk information displayed in the service display (again replicated from the touch screen) and not enough ephasis placed on driving information. How many places do you need to see a clock? Whats the car picture all about? Surely MPH/KPH should be the dominant information with MPG, Trip, Fuel, Outside temp, Range etc. Not that you are on DAB - DAB 1 - Radio 2. I know that I'm listening to it and I can glace 2 foot to my left and see it on the Awful touch screen. Whilst I think about it why does the roller cover over the cup holders have a gloss finish? Mine is a scratched to hell already and looks terrible. Why not rubber, then your phone wouldn't slide around the only logical place in the car to put it. Sorry to rant here but I am seriously disappointed and would give anything to get my BMW back. On a plus point it did handle the snow last week very well on some fairly steep inclines.
I just saw the last guys comment about the seats. I took the Dynamic plus pack because the seats were awful on the regular car. A £4k upgrade. They are comfy but not worth £4k and the leather is already starting to look a quite stressed. God I really wanted to like this car, but just can't - I just find it annoying. £48K Annoying - That's annoying

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Further more... Using your phone from the touch screen is just far too distracting whilst driving. Way too many inputs to find the number you wish to dial. It's far easier to pick up your phone and dial then let the bluetooth pick up. But that's illegal right? I would also challenge anybody to be able to enter or change a sat nav destination whilst driving the Evoque it's just far too distracting and dangerous to be done whilst moving. Give me an Audi/BMW style scroll wheel any time.
Why do I have to agree to abide by road traffic legislation every time before I can access the sat nav? Porsche do this too - IT'S ANNOYING and BORING!

Plus Points - The upgraded Meridian sound system is sweet. And the ability to bluetooth music or plug in a usb stick also appreciated. The touch sensitive interior lights are arevelation, no more fumbling for the switches.

·
Registered
10 Posts
To be honest I use the voice control for most things.
Using the phone is a doddle using voice just say

"Phone Call Contact"

"Name" - It will display a list

then pick a number.

It Dials (or gives a choice if more than one number against the contact)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same. i usevoice for nearly everything. i agree with a number of the points made but not the conclusion. I have the same spec as the OP and I'm a right grumpy git. However, I bow before the OP, he makes me look like a happy clapper.

It's really not that badly designed IMO. It could have been better and in time probably will be but the interior electronics are better than any BMW or Merc I've owned so......

·
Registered
136 Posts
I agree with markpeet on a lot of things. The touch screen is awful. It's not what it does, it's how it does it, clunky at best. Voice control is best for phone, not bad and u can speed it up by pressing the voice control button, but try and enter a destination postcode with it.

My mpg has got better of late, 180 mile round trip to Birmingham, most motorway I got 39.5 driving at 70ish. Warmer weather helping I think. Economy is disappointing though overall. BUT...... I love this car. Previous car was a Merc CLS which was great, but the way the Evoque drives and looks I can forgive the poor touch screen. You KNOW you bought he right car with all the looks you get on he mway and comments in the petrol station - being in there a lot I get a lot of comments. Now done nearly 13k miles since first week in Dec. is it perfect - no far from it. Would I change it now given the choice, for another CLS - thanks but no thanks. Let's be honest we buy a car first on how it looks and an Evoque leaves an x5 for dead. Then how does it drive? Def as good as an x5 and arguably better, especially off road.

Do I buy a car based on economy and touch screen, well quite possibly on economy, depends on mileage you do, touch screen, no, it is what it is tho I don't like it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree about the touchscreen, it's one of the few real issues I have with the Evoque. It's so slow and unresponsive, and the UI is appallingly designed. I once somehow ended up with the same track on endless repeat until I got home, because I couldn't risk looking away from the road long enough to puzzle out how to get it back to random shuffle! "No, that just pauses it. No, that starts the same track again. No, that takes me up one level, to a folder that just has the one track in it. No, that takes me back to the start of the track again... aaargh!"

Surely somebody at JLR has used an iPad by now? Just nick a few ideas!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Donovan said:
Payndz,
I have to ask...... What was the track?
The Beastie Boys, 'Body Movin', Fatboy Slim remix. It's a great track, but I didn't want to hear it six times in a row!

I still have no idea how it got stuck on continuous play, either. Normally I have an MP3 CD on shuffle with about 150 tracks, but the car decided it wanted a non-stop "A1 sound" that day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had the car (Pure TD4) a week now, can't fault it yet. More comfy than the BMW we had previously.It's got a bit of grunt.Not too concerned as to what the touch screen can/can't do, as long as I can have the radio/cd player on that's good enough for me. Enjoying the driving experience is more important than playing with toys.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'd stay away from the rope shop if I were you. Take the car for what it is, a beautiful piece of engineering and a jealousy magnet, best looking car on the road by a country mile. Many want, many can't afford. Enjoy

·
Registered
154 Posts
I must say the touch screen is insignificant to me and was a minor consideration. once set up for my journey leave it alone and enjoy the drive, which is reallywhy I buy a car, if I want to mess with gadgets I don't think travelling along at 70/75 mph is the correct environment. chill out and enjoy the car. as for economy, adjustments to right foot and style may prove beneficial. I too travel at similar speeds in and SD4 auto but acheive 37/39 mpg when I do soAs you've probably guessed I'm happy with my Evoque

·
Registered
226 Posts
Redbikerat said:
Your issues pale into insignificance folks - mine has suffered an engine failure after 6 days and 203 miles of ownership!

What happened? I had a "performance limitation" occurrence which made the vehicle not drivable until I shut it down, waited about a minute and then started it back up (which reset the computer that briefly malfunctioned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Markpeet, the fuel consumption is the big let down. She's a beauty but costly and LR have to own up to that fib. It's why(fuel consumption) the X3 is a 5 star. I got the 2.2 Pure auto but Iwouldn't buy the sat nav, hence no touch screen I'm glad to say. I got Tom Tom. I posted a question about using the adhesive disk on the dash but, as yet, no replies! I'm only 300km up but like you the fuel is burning faster than expected!You havent had any real response on the fuel issue??

·
Registered
35 Posts
I took delivery a week ago of an Evoque -Pure with Tech and Style packs. For that, I expected the passenger seat to be capable of being raised and lowered.

Also, Is anyone else having problems with the rather large wing mirrors? On two occasions during the last week I was aware that the mirrors were potentially dangerous, because they produce significant blind spots, particularly at roundabouts.

I agree that the touch-screen leaves a lot to be desired.. The SatNav on a Jaguar SType that I had was far superior.

·
Registered
73 Posts
norpres said:
Also, Is anyone else having problems with the rather large wing mirrors? On two occasions during the last week I was aware that the mirrors were potentially dangerous, because they produce significant blind spots, particularly at roundabouts.
I have a roundabout near my house which I pass every day, and it was very problematic at first with not being able to see the curb because of the oversize mirrors. I've learned to compensate by taking a wider turn, which is fine at this particular spot but in most instances there is not enough space available. Then it is more a case of "guess where the curb is" and hope you don't end up driving into it.

This is one of several features where practicality was traded for a particular design/look. I'm not complaining too much though, because it is still a very desirable vehicle which is also a pleasure to drive.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts