Evoque Owners Club banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,159 Posts
I suspect “high speed motorway driving” is faster than ”low speed town driving”.

Reactions: Col_C and PhilB

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
High speed motorway driving is keeping up with the rest of the traffic.
Low speed motorway driving is sitting in the nearside lane at 60mph with all the Teslas for company.
😁

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well, since you ask, 72 mph indicated in UK, 80 mph on most of the continent and 100-110 mph indicated in Germany. I do drive on local roads of course, but at the time I owned the DS a lot of my driving was on motorways.

·
Registered
2018 HSE DYN LUX 290A Black Pack
129 Posts
"72 mph indicated"? Is this in the highway code?
There is a myth, propagated by social media that you can add 10% to the national speed limit and not get booked. It remains a myth.
Keeping up with UK traffic on a free flowing motorway these days means travelling between 75 and 85 mph!
4WD

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
"72 mph indicated"? Is this in the highway code?
There is a myth, propagated by social media that you can add 10% to the national speed limit and not get booked. It remains a myth.
Keeping up with UK traffic on a free flowing motorway these days means travelling between 75 and 85 mph!
4WD
It's not a myth, it's the ACPO/NPCC guidelines.
First of all manufacturers can fit speedos that can over read by up to 10%.
They can never under read.
At an indicated 72 mph the car is probably doing less than 70 mph.
The guidelines state that prosecution should start at +10% plus 2 mph above the posted speed limit.
Prosecution means in most cases a naughty boys and girls course in the first instance.
Therefore on a motorway for prosecution you are looking at 79mph and above.
The best police equipment is still +/- 2mph below 60 and +/- 3 mph above that accuracy wise.
Yes, you could possibly be done for 31mph in a 30 but given the agreed +/- 2mph for police equipment then it's very unlikely to happen and wouldn't get past a court.
Look at section 9 here on the most recent guidelines which haven't been changed since:
https://www.npcc.police.uk/2018 FOI/Operations/030 18 Speed Enforcement Guidance.pdf

·
Registered
Dynamic 3 door, 2013, SD4, santorini black with pimento and ebony
520 Posts
Interesting point Phil, the law is absolute, but the guidance, and that is just what it is, guidance, provides some leeway.
None of us can drive at an exact speed all the time. The guidance provides a bit of room for when we creep over accidentally, as we will from time to time.
If we use the tollerence as a new limit we creep into the prosecution threshold.
I used to drive a bit over the limit, always did, but changed about 10 years ago to driving at the limit. So much less stressful, journeys take no longer and fuel economy improved.
Ond thing I have found is that the speedos on my different cars read very differently. The old XC90 was bang on. At an indicated 70 you passed most things on a motorway. My Evoque over reads by quite a lot, an indicated 33 is 30 and an indicated 76 is 70.
I checked it on the measured mile that police use for calibration and also with several speed indicators.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I was always trained to drive at the limit to "make good progress".
I can't abide people who come on here wetting their nappy if someone suggests driving at an indicated 72 mph on the motorway.
It's actually a lot less in reality as you have shown or so close to the limit it's negligible taking into account speedo accuracy.

Reactions: Col_C

·
Super Moderator
9,159 Posts
I tend to drive at the indicated speed limit, bearing in mind it’s a limit not a target. I know my speedo reads more than I’m actually doing so theoretically I’ll never by exceeding the limit. Having said that I have seen my speedo indicate 120mph both in a car and on my previous Kawasaki

·
Registered
129 Posts
The ACPO guidelines are ............guidelines, not rules.
Scotland do NOT follow these guidelines and can and will prosecute even 1mph above the limit.
The camera equipment they talk about is now out of date in many places and the latest radar and laser detectors are far more refined.
Having worked for the police for 13 years, it boils down to the discretion of the police officer at the time. Pi** them off and you're booked!
As I said originally.... the 10% theory is a myth. [And I'm not even going down the road of 10% discretion afforded speedometers in the digital age!!!].
4WD

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I was a Police Officer for 30 years, last 10 of which were as an Inspector.
I worked traffic, firearms and other departments.
The guidelines are still used by forces to determine whether nothing happens or you get a course offer or a summons.
They are still being used so the 10% +2 isn't a myth as you put it.
The guidelines were re-visited in 2018 and are still current.
I think you might want to sit the rest of this one out.

·
Super Moderator
9,159 Posts
PhilB, my comment about 120mph, I missed the decimal point out lol

·
Super Moderator
9,159 Posts
Bit like me then PhilB, I’ve not killed anyone lately (as far as I know!)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Since I started this... I know my speedo overreads - it reads 30 when I'm doing 28. So 72 is a bit under the limit. I just stick the cruise control on and go to sleep (not really). I find that the Evoque is such a willing motor that if I don't pay constant attention the speed can creep up, and I'd rather watch the road than the speedo. I do enjoy an empty Autobahn though!

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I know my Speedo over estimates my speed too so when it says 72 in a 30 limit I’m probably OK 🤔

no, seriously though, I always make sure I hit the speed limit at least twice on every journey,
Once on the way up & once on the way back down 😱

·
Super Moderator
9,159 Posts
I know my Speedo over estimates my speed too so when it says 72 in a 30 limit I’m probably OK 🤔

no, seriously though, I always make sure I hit the speed limit at least twice on every journey,
Once on the way up & once on the way back down 😱
Pilot or astronaut?

Reactions: DKZ5745

·
Registered
129 Posts
Phil. Glad you accept they are still guidelines and not rules.
[And for those in Scotland, I sympathise if you have been done 'just over the limit'].
4WD

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,493 Posts
Traffic police here allow you more leeway than the camera vans. I'm not testing the leeway either give you though 🤣

Reactions: Veteran and PhilB

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Why is it that I get the impression that certain (newish) members are quite confrontational 🤔

Wouldnt it be nice if we all just offered advice or information & if that was proved to be incorrect, it was pointed out in a “thanks for that, but I have now found out …..” kind of way. 🤫

41 - 60 of 70 Posts