Evoque Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
Dynamic 3 door, 2013, SD4, santorini black with pimento and ebony
520 Posts
Hi, have a look here for the ratings of many different tyres. I will go with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde when replacement is due based on its 99 weight rating which is what JLR fitted.
We have very big 20 inch wheels for the weight of the car, and you will see that most tyres are 103 weight rating for full size SUV’s. (My XC90 was 103 rated with 107 as the option). 103’s are good tyres but will be a little harder and than 99’s due to stronger sidewalls. Personal choice but I could tell the difference on the XC90 when I put 107 on and I went back to 103’s. Just my experience, others will be different.

·
Super Moderator
9,159 Posts
Same as I bought for my Evoque with 20” wheels Binty also through Black Circle. Garage damaged the new wheels and had to pay to get them repaired and BC gave me a credit for future tyres. Great company

Reactions: Binty

·
Registered
2013 dynamic sd4 Orkney grey
64 Posts
also looking for a decent tyre as two of my pirelli scorpions have gone like this both on different axles one offside one near side and no have never been curbed in my ownership
B3160D2C-5004-436C-8E01-444B73790025.jpeg
597E892A-71CF-4F1D-B4BB-AA5072F0CFC4.jpeg

·
Registered
520 Posts
Looks like age deterioration. Mine are starting to go, but still got 2 to 4 mm tread and done 68 000 miles but were produced in week 47 of 2012 so would have been original fit on my January 2013 car.
They were on the back but I moved them to the front a year ago to try and wear them out a bit more.
A1B7DAAD-F254-49A7-9303-541214880E33.jpeg

·
Registered
MY16 HSE Dynamic LUX, Volvo 850R
2,394 Posts
@Binty, our rear continentals are just like that though they are the originals and at 55k, not changing as its off pcp next month

Reactions: Binty

·
Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
2,196 Posts
Looks like age deterioration. Mine are starting to go, but still got 2 to 4 mm tread and done 68 000 miles but were produced in week 47 of 2012 so would have been original fit on my January 2013 car.
They were on the back but I moved them to the front a year ago to try and wear them out a bit more.
Well played Binty, 68,000 is excellent mileage.

The Pirelli are excellent tyres and if you consider their price over time as opposed to the sticker price they are the cheapest tyres you’ll ever buy :) (y)

Buying inexpensive tyres is a false economy for so many reasons, not least of which is you and your families safety.

Reactions: Binty and Veteran

·
Registered
2013 SD4 Dynamic Lux
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The falkens recommend earlier are coming in at nearly £150, not much less than pirellis

·
Super Moderator
9,159 Posts
I’d go for grip over mileage any day. No point in going sideways through the ditch for 500 miles when you can go in a straight line on the tarmac for 499.

·
Registered
P300e
195 Posts
View attachment 8550
That tyre is 9 years old (4712, week 47 2012).

I would suggest anyone who thinks cheaper tyres are worth the saving, should have a go on a fast motorbike at a track day with the ditchfinders on. Take a clean pair of underpants.

Edit:
I wonder if that sidewall deterioration is due to excessive use (or regular use) of "tyre-shine"?

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I have Michelin Pilot SP4S’s on my RCZ, and that corners like it’s on rails regardless of the conditions, but it does have suspension like a go-cart. I have tried various top brands on that car while I’ve owned it. It came with Continentals from new, I have had Pirelli’s and Uniroyals, but the best tyre for grip and performance on that car has been these Michelin’s. I am on my second set of them.

Reactions: RRRaych and Binty

·
Registered
520 Posts
That tyre is 9 years old (4712, week 47 2012).

I would suggest anyone who thinks cheaper tyres are worth the saving have a go on a fast motorbike at a track day with the ditchfinders on. Take a clean pair of underpants.

Edit:
I wonder if that sidewall deterioration is due to excessive use (or regular use) of "tyre-shine"?
Hi, no not excessive tyre shine, or ever tyre shine in my case. My daughters partner had a similar issue with continentals when he bought his 6 year old Volvo, loads of tread but started to open up in the side walls.
I believe the modern compounds just go hard and brittle with age and that UV light plays a part. There is some legislation being considered to limit tyre age to 7 years for MOT but that is just for HGV’s. On the fronts they normally wear out before deteriorating but the rears just get pulled around, no steering forces and just 30% of the braking so last way too long, they should be rotated to even things out. I will be replacing mine soon, despite ample tread depth.
My rear wheel drive cars wear much more evenly, steer and brake in the front, power at the back.

·
Registered
2018 HSE DYN LUX 290A Black Pack
129 Posts
This is my first SUV. All my other cars have been performance cars ranging from Lotus, thru BMW, Maserati, Merc etc.
Reading these staggering mileages from posters tyres makes me wonder what your driving techniques are?
I have NEVER had more than 15k out of any tyre ever. The highest performing cars never gave me more than about 8k. My sons F-Type R Jag gives him 6k on the rears!
So I am assuming it is all down to the way one drives (IE: leisurely Vs spritely) and horsepower (IE: putting the power down onto the road to accelerate and decelerate faster than normal).

Can I ask those who have these 'staggering' mileages from their tyres, what engine horsepower they have and how they drive please?

Surely - in addition to tread wear the other concern I would have over such high mileages is - time. Once tyres show signs of deterioration on the sidewall (like the one shown), their safety is compromised purely because of their age..
4WD

·
Super Moderator
9,159 Posts
If I only got 15k from a tyre I’d question my driving style. I can’t remember ever having to replace a tyre due to wear. Never had an accident but seen plenty in the rear view mirror perhaps 4WD?

Reactions: PhilB

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,493 Posts
15k is normal nowadays, it's all I get from the front tyres on my van. I don't expect to get near 15k from the rear tyres on the F Type

·
Registered
P300e
195 Posts
This is my first SUV. All my other cars have been performance cars ranging from Lotus, thru BMW, Maserati, Merc etc.
Reading these staggering mileages from posters tyres makes me wonder what your driving techniques are?
I have NEVER had more than 15k out of any tyre ever. The highest performing cars never gave me more than about 8k. My sons F-Type R Jag gives him 6k on the rears!
So I am assuming it is all down to the way one drives (IE: leisurely Vs spritely) and horsepower (IE: putting the power down onto the road to accelerate and decelerate faster than normal).

Can I ask those who have these 'staggering' mileages from their tyres, what engine horsepower they have and how they drive please?

Surely - in addition to tread wear the other concern I would have over such high mileages is - time. Once tyres show signs of deterioration on the sidewall (like the one shown), their safety is compromised purely because of their age..
4WD
The first ever "brand new" car I brought was a Peugeot 305 "D Turbo" in 1996. Wonderful handling car and very economical (which is why I brought it). 90bhp and was fitted with Michelins. I rotated them and replaced all four at just over 50,000 miles, (with another set of Michelins).

If I want to go fast, I take one of my 1990's era 750 Superbikes on a trackday, (the most fun you can have in your clothes).

·
Registered
126 Posts
My Discovery Sport went at 50000 miles, with3-4mm left on the original tyres (Pirellis) and 6mm on the Wintracks winter tyres (which are currently doing service on my Evoque). 30-40000 on a set of tyres, rotated back to front every year, seems reasonable. I might get more on the Evoque as it's lighter. It's fair to say though that a lot of that was high speed motorway driving. They might be expected to wear more on twisty roads.

·
Registered
2018 HSE DYN LUX 290A Black Pack
129 Posts
What is "high speed motorway driving" may I ask?
4WD

·
Registered
520 Posts
Good question, how is it different to low speed motorway driving?😂😂

·
Registered
2021 P300e R-Dynamic HSE, Eiger grey, black pack, black alloys, sliding pano roof, red calipers, etc
75 Posts
High speed motorway driving is faster than low speed motorway driving 🤣

21 - 40 of 70 Posts