Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

Registered
2013 SD4 Dynamic Lux
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 new rears to replace the contis, I have pirelli scorpion verdes on front.
Shall I replace rears with pirellis or any decent alternatives as prices seem similar for all brands this size?
Cheers馃憤

Registered
I'd go with the Pirellis.
The Scorpion Verde is great but my MY20 had Scorpion Zeros as standard which is a newer version of the Verde.
Very good tyre in all conditions.

Registered
2021 P300e R-Dynamic HSE, Eiger grey, black pack, black alloys, sliding pano roof, red calipers, etc
Another vote for the Pirelli's here. Good all season tyres, plus it's always nice to have a matching set, rather than mixed brands.

Super Moderator
Definitely the Pirelli鈥檚. My F Pace S came with Zeros as standard, excellent tyres. I had the Verdes on my Evoque another excellent tyre but Zeros are an update as PhilB says.

Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
Another vote for Pirelli Scorpion Verde . Either 99V or 103V are ok on the Evoque.

Reactions: quoman999 and Cr***

Registered
2018 HSE DYN LUX 290A Black Pack
2 new rears to replace the contis, I have pirelli scorpion verdes on front.
Shall I replace rears with pirellis or any decent alternatives as prices seem similar for all brands this size?
Cheers馃憤

All down to your driving requirements. If you drive the evoque like a lounge lizard does, lazily from A to B, then you'll get mega miles out of any half decent makes.
Someone on here recently advertised that they have just managed 78k out of a tyre. It's a first to me...probably a world record with that many miles from a tyre!
If you are joe/joan average, then money comes top of the list I guess.
A decent name at the lowest price and you won't go wrong.
Watch out for the sales on this site, sometimes tyres like PZero's come up which are normally obscene prices...for a much better and reasonable price occasionally.
By buying online you get the best deals and a competitive local tyre garage will fit and balance each for between 拢5-15.
4WD

Registered

All down to your driving requirements. If you drive the evoque like a lounge lizard does, lazily from A to B, then you'll get mega miles out of any half decent makes.
Someone on here recently advertised that they have just managed 78k out of a tyre. It's a first to me...probably a world record with that many miles from a tyre!
If you are joe/joan average, then money comes top of the list I guess.
A decent name at the lowest price and you won't go wrong.
Watch out for the sales on this site, sometimes tyres like PZero's come up which are normally obscene prices...for a much better and reasonable price occasionally.
By buying online you get the best deals and a competitive local tyre garage will fit and balance each for between 拢5-15.
4WD
My post should have included the link too:

Registered
Another vote for Pirelli here. I have the Scorpion Zeros as standard, and there is a reason for that.
Your tyre is the only contact you have with the road, so trying to save a few 拢拢拢鈥檚 on a car that costs over 拢50k new seems a bit illogical to me.
If your budget is paramount, do some research on reviews etc of the lower priced alternative, but I would not be happy at mixing tyres on a car, it can produce unexpected results, especially in the wet.
Zeros on the back & Verdes on the front is OK, they鈥檙e all Pirelli & the tread pattern is almost identical (in fact I would be tempted to put the new Zeros on the front & move the Verdes to the back for when it鈥檚 in 2 wheel drive & also the steering would be more responsive).

Registered
Agree...I would not mix tyres. Least of all on the same axle.
But tyres are a minefield when price is concerned. As long as they meet the safety requirements..you can even choose level of quietness on the web site (road noise). Why pay 拢200+ for a Michelin for example when a very good tyre such as an ecsta (Firestone?) Does the same for 拢50 less.
Any average rated tyre is good enough for an Evoque unless if course you're planning off-road.
4WD

Super Moderator
I鈥檇 never skimp on tyres it鈥檚 not worth it

Registered
MY16 HSE Dynamic LUX, Volvo 850R
Not that anyone has just yet but if your looking online don't confuse Pirelli P Zeros with Zeros(scorpion)zeros), two different tyres, the P Zeros have a different tread pattern and are a high performance tyre, for our purposes (the evoque) its the Scorpion Verde and Scorpion Zeros we need to look at

Super Moderator
Just checked the Jag. I鈥檝e got P Zeros 馃榿

Registered
I鈥檇 never skimp on tyres it鈥檚 not worth it
On my first driving course at the end the instructor said that there are two things you never skimp on.
Tyres and brakes as that's all that is keeping you on the road.
Always buy the best .
Also as said above the Scorpion zero/verde is an all season tyre and it does work brilliantly in cold.and nasty weather.
The P zero is a performance "summer" tyre.

Registered
MY16 HSE Dynamic LUX, Volvo 850R
My general rule of thumb for anything really is buy the best you can afford but in the case of tyres first educate yourself and know the difference between a 拢50 Chinese ditch finder and a 拢150 Pirelli

Super Moderator
My general rule of thumb for anything really is buy the best you can afford but in the case of tyres first educate yourself and know the difference between a 拢50 Chinese ditch finder and a 拢150 Pirelli
Well put!

Reactions: CoolBlueWhyte

Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
Agree - Pirelli Scorpion鈥檚 every day of the week.

Pirelli should sponsor the EOC with all the recommendations that we give :)

Reactions: Veteran

Registered
2013 SD4 Dynamic Lux
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for your help everyone, when I had my bmw I used to have falken tyres which I found to be very good. I don't thrash the Evoque, mainly because I don't want to break it 馃槼 due to its fragile nature, who'd have thought? I've done timing belt, haldex service will be done in June with mot, just seems a shame I can't throw it around like other cars. I bought the 2.2 and envisaged some vigorated driving but always waiting for the error message 馃槳

Registered
There was a time maybe 10-15 years ago that the saying "buy the best you can afford" actually meant something.
AEG, Miele (washing machines).
Briggs and Stratton lawnmowers.
MG.
Aston Martin.
Jaguar Land Rover

People clung to them long after their credibility faded. New owners, changing standards. All of the above can no longer claim to be the best when it comes to quality / reliability anymore.

With tyres - the industry has come a long way. It's too complicated to trawl through all the parameters/standards/technicals but suffice to say, for a run of the mill vehicle like the Evoque or any other mass produced SUV, the main stream tyres from lots of suppliers (some from India or china) are perfectly adequate to keep you safe and perform reasonably well......
Remember JLR is owned by the Indian company Tata now, so if the car is good enough for you, so too are the tyres made in India!.
If you can afford 拢200 for a tyre when another comparable tyre costs 拢150.....it's all down to personal bias and NOT safety/performance (at SUV level, I hasten to add).
If you buy a hard compound (eg, michelin) you get poor grip compared to a softer tyre Pirelli) which offers better grip but less mileage. All down to your driving habits.

4WD

Registered
With tyres - the industry has come a long way. It's too complicated to trawl through all the parameters/standards/technicals but suffice to say, for a run of the mill vehicle like the Evoque or any other mass produced SUV, the main stream tyres from lots of suppliers (some from India or china) are perfectly adequate to keep you safe and perform reasonably well......
Remember JLR is owned by the Indian company Tata now, so if the car is good enough for you, so too are the tyres made in India!.
If you can afford 拢200 for a tyre when another comparable tyre costs 拢150.....it's all down to personal bias and NOT safety/performance (at SUV level, I hasten to add).
If you buy a hard compound (eg, michelin) you get poor grip compared to a softer tyre Pirelli) which offers better grip but less mileage. All down to your driving habits.

4WD
The difference is if my washing machine or mower break down it is very unlikely to kill me.
You talk about the car being "run of the mill" and buying "adequate" tyres.
"Adequate" can mean the difference of stopping safely and not.
In the wet it can mean staying on the road or not or aquaplaining or keeping grip.
There's no difference between an SUV at 70 mph or the latest Ferrari.
They are both a chunk of metal relying on four small contact patches to keep you safe.
If those contact patches aren't doing the best they can you can have problems.
It doesn't matter about it "only" being an SUV, the physics involved are exactly the same relying on those four contact patches.
As regards the Michelin/Pirelli I have to diisagree.
Go over to the F-Type forums where the factory fit P zero has been found to be a bit lacking in the wet by a lot of members..
The replacement tyre of choice now for them is the Michelin Pilot SP4s.
That is based on the actual experience of members there.

Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
I always look at the wet performance before buying tyres as they're all OK in the dry. I wouldn't put cheap tyres on anything as they are generally bad in the wet and don't last as long so false economy. If you don't want to pay for premium tyres Falken FK510 are a decent tyre as are some on the Nankangs and Hankooks

1 - 20 of 70 Posts